    Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    Cheers

    Chris
    Chris, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Chris

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <> wrote:
    > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    > scanner (canon 9500) ?
    > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but: You want to scan
    negatives with a printer? Because a printer is the only thing I come
    up with when I look for for "canon 9500".

    I think you might have mistyped your scanner model, or I just didn't
    look around enough.

    Otherwise, good luck. Just don't try to run any valuable negs through
    any kind of printer. That would probably not produce the result you
    are looking for. Heh heh.

    --
    YOP...
    Nervous Nick, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    On 6 Feb, 23:27, Nervous Nick <> wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <> wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    > > scanner (canon 9500) ?
    > > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    > I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but....

    ....You are.
    Ok the flatbed is a canoscan 9950F

    my mistake - any CONSTRUCTIVE responses would be appreciated -
    arrogant smartarse twats not welcome !
    Chris, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Chris

    John Navas Guest

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:48:24 -0800 (PST), Chris
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >On 6 Feb, 23:27, Nervous Nick <> wrote:
    >> On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    >> > scanner (canon 9500) ?
    >> > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    >> I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but....

    >...You are.
    >Ok the flatbed is a canoscan 9950F
    >
    >my mistake - any CONSTRUCTIVE responses would be appreciated -
    >arrogant smartarse twats not welcome !

    I'm pretty sure he was actually just trying to be funny.
    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Chris

    rwalker Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    > scanner (canon 9500) ?
    > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    I'm not sure about the dimensions of 125 film, but I have used a Canon
    flatbed scanner to scan 110 format film. There is no holder for this size,
    but I've had pretty good luck by inserting one end of a 110 strip under the
    edge of the holder for 120 film, and then scanning it as a color positive.
    Then afterwards, with Photoshop Elements I cut out the individual negatives
    from the scanned strip, run auto color correction and auto levels on them,
    and then invert them to positive images and adjust as necessary. Much more
    labor intensive than scanning 35 mm, or slides or 120, but it can be done.
    rwalker, Feb 7, 2008
  6. Chris

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Feb 6, 5:48 pm, Chris <> wrote:
    > On 6 Feb, 23:27, Nervous Nick <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <> wrote:

    > > > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    > > > scanner (canon 9500) ?
    > > > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    > > I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but....

    > ...You are.
    > Ok the flatbed is a canoscan 9950F
    >
    > my mistake - any CONSTRUCTIVE responses would be appreciated -

    Yes, that helps, and no, what the ****, I was not being a
    smartass. I was trying to help.

    You did, after all, mistype the model number and I was genuinely
    confused.

    In any case, now that I know which scanner you are talking about,
    Canon's web site doesn't even seem mention whether the scanner comes
    with a 4x5 film holder--if that is the type of film you are talking
    about. I fucking hate trying to find stuff on Canon's sites.

    If you are looking for what I think you are, then these can be very
    simple frame-type things, that you slip your neg into and then nestle
    in the corner of the scanner bed, and I am sure you could get one that
    was designed for another scanner if you look around. It's just a
    frame. Heck, I have a few laying around the lab from old scanners,
    and would be glad to send you one for nothing, if you want. Just let
    me know. But these are for 4x5 sheet film, so they might not be in
    the format of this 125mm film you have.

    At work I have to deal with thousands of 3.25 x 4" plates (Kodak 4489
    Electron Image Film) each year, and rather than going to the trouble
    of looking for a custom frame in these odd dimensions every time I
    have had to replace a scanner, I've found that it is simple enough to
    just make a "frame" that's just a bunch of tape carefully layered on
    the scanner glass, raised high enough off of the glass on three sides,
    so that the negatives stay in place when I slip them in there. It's
    not exactly pin registration but it gets the job done.

    Of course you will have to remove the tape when you need the scanner
    for something else, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to figure
    out a similar setup that you could easily switch out. I never had
    that issue because we don't use these scanners for any other sort of
    work.

    Yes, my employers can be a bit "budget-conscious". Heh.

    With such this size negatives (as opposed to much bigger, where they
    tend to lay flat on their own) you might think that bowing would be a
    problem, but depending on how thick your acetate base is (and thus how
    likely the negs are to "pop"), it might not be a problem at all if
    your scanner has adequate depth of focus. In any case you can get
    some cheap glass cut to the dimensions you need to overlay the film--
    even anti-newtonian glass, I suppose, though I never had to use it.

    HTH.

    --
    YOP...
    Nervous Nick, Feb 7, 2008
  7. Chris

    John Navas Guest

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:25:46 -0500, "rwalker" <>
    wrote in <47aa500b$0$22850$>:

    >"Chris" <> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    >> scanner (canon 9500) ?
    >> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    >I'm not sure about the dimensions of 125 film, ...

    Easy enough to look up: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format>
    125 roll film 3¼" × 5½"

    John Navas, Feb 7, 2008
  8. Chris

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:08:46 -0800, Chris wrote:

    > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    > scanner (canon 9500) ?
    > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Chris

    FWIW - Epson has some models which scan medium and larger format
    negatives. I have used an Epson Perfection 4490 photo to scan medium
    format. Purchased it from the Epson online store for about $125 a year
    and a half ago.
    ray, Feb 7, 2008
  9. Chris

    Bob Williams Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    > scanner (canon 9500) ?
    > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Chris

    Can't you just make a holder by cutting the appropriate sized holes in a
    piece of poster board?
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Feb 7, 2008
  10. Chris

    The Real Bev Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    >> scanner (canon 9500) ?
    >> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    My Canon 8400F has such a holder, but I think the posterboard (or shirt
    cardboard, if such still exists) would do just as well. Incidentally,
    it did a great job on old 120 and 620 negatives as well as 2x2
    Ektachrome slides -- Ektachrome is NOT noted for its color permanence :-(

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    The Real Bev, Feb 7, 2008
  11. Chris

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/6/08 5:48 PM, in article
    , "Chris"
    <> wrote:

    > On 6 Feb, 23:27, Nervous Nick <> wrote:
    >> On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
    >>> scanner (canon 9500) ?
    >>> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

    >> I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but....

    > ...You are.
    >
    > Ok the flatbed is a canoscan 9950F
    >
    > my mistake - any CONSTRUCTIVE responses would be appreciated -
    > arrogant smartarse twats not welcome !

    Ohhh! Touchy, are we not?
    George Kerby, Feb 8, 2008
  12. Chris

    Chris Guest

    On 8 Feb, 14:34, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 2/6/08 5:48 PM, in article
    > , "Chris"
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but....

    > > ...You are.

    > > Ok the flatbed is a canoscan 9950F

    > > my mistake - any CONSTRUCTIVE responses would be appreciated -
    > > arrogant smartarse twats not welcome !

    > Ohhh! Touchy, are we not?

    (not particularly - just fed up with coming across people in these
    rooms that are simply out to flame and don't so much impart wisdom as
    take the piss & slosh it around with gleeful abandon)

    Anyway, Nervous, appologies for putting you in the wrong category.

    Thanks for the sugestions, however I think all of you have mistaken
    125 film for something that couldn't be further from the format.
    I'm talking about (and probably showing my age for even having used
    one of these boxes - albeit when I was but a wee child) 125 cartridge
    film, the frames are 12.5x20mm. This format was always (in the UK
    anyway) known as "125 mil" which is where all the confusion has come.

    I'm leaning towards cutting a template from card, but I was hoping
    someone had a neater solution - keeping the film flat on the scan
    plate is going to be a problem which ever hack I use.

    (where's me stanley knife)

    Chris, Feb 9, 2008