    indicating the ports as closed or is the online scanner just not good
    enough to detect
    all the open ports?

    zoraya, May 17, 2006

  2. zoraya

    B. Nice Guest

    On 17 May 2006 21:51:47 +0200, zoraya <> wrote:

    >I use a computer inside a network, I use an online scanner like "Shields
    >Up" to find
    >out what ports are open and which ones are closed.

    Be aware that ShieldsUp will check Your networks connection to the
    internet (a firewall and/or router), not Your PC.

    >The scan indicates that some ports are closed like 119 or 465, but then I
    >am able to use
    >those ports as usual,

    Where? From the outside world or within Your network?

    B. Nice, May 18, 2006

  3. zoraya wrote:

    > I use a computer inside a network, I use an online scanner like "Shields
    > Up" to find out what ports are open and which ones are closed.

    Well, what exactly? "Like ShiledUp" or some serious, reliable port scanner?

    > The scan indicates that some ports are closed like 119 or 465, but then
    > I am able to use those ports as usual,

    Why "but"? Maybe you misunderstood the concepts of ports and TCP
    connection states. Reread RFC 793.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, May 18, 2006
  4. zoraya

    zoraya Guest

    > Well, what exactly? "Like ShiledUp" or some serious, reliable port
    > scanner?

    Can you suggest anyother that you consider better? (Online scanner)

    zoraya, May 18, 2006
  5. zoraya

    Todd H. Guest

    zoraya <> writes:

    > > Well, what exactly? "Like ShiledUp" or some serious, reliable port
    > > scanner?
    > >

    > Can you suggest anyother that you consider better? (Online scanner)

    nmap is a real one.

    For online, there's one at dslreports.com in the tool section.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., May 18, 2006
  6. Todd H. wrote:

    >>> Well, what exactly? "Like ShiledUp" or some serious, reliable port
    >>> scanner?

    A typical Freud typo :)

    >> Can you suggest anyother that you consider better? (Online scanner)

    > nmap is a real one.
    >
    > For online, there's one at dslreports.com in the tool section.

    The problem with even some nmap-based online portscans is that they are
    bad at tracking the session and are mangeling the output ("interpreting
    it"), which creates unreliable and sometimes inconsistent results.

    A known good one with raw output (and chooseable parameters) is
    <http://www.linux-sec.net/Audit/nmap.test.gwif.html>.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, May 18, 2006