    does it cost one million dollars?

    thanks!
    , Sep 8, 2005

  2. Bill Funk Guest

    On 8 Sep 2005 12:43:00 -0700, wrote:

    >my sister wants to scan all of her 35mm negs and prints (3x5, 4x6
    >mostly). she would need the easiest possible solution as she doesn't
    >have tons of time for this project and she's not the most computer
    >savvy person. i'm wondering if there's something out there that
    >literally lets you feed negative strips in and you hit a button and it
    >scans it for you. and also lets you do prints as well. does this exist?
    >does it cost one million dollars?
    >
    >thanks!

    We recently had a question here about a scanner that would batch scan
    4x5s, and the answer was, we don't know of any.
    35mm is easy, just check out film scanners, and pick one that suits
    you.
    If time is tight, and the technical savvy isn't there, maybe one of
    the shops that offer to do it for a fee would be the way to go.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Guest

    oh well, this seems to be something that people would want, it's odd
    there's no product for it. thanks for the suggestion about sending them
    out, i'll look into that. someone suggested the HP S20, do you know
    anything about that?
    , Sep 8, 2005
  4. Bill Funk Guest

    On 8 Sep 2005 14:48:36 -0700, wrote:

    >oh well, this seems to be something that people would want, it's odd
    >there's no product for it. thanks for the suggestion about sending them
    >out, i'll look into that. someone suggested the HP S20, do you know
    >anything about that?

    No more than I can find on the web.
    Here's a review:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/HPS20/S20A.HTM
    It looks like a one-at-a-time scanner to me, but a decent one for
    non-professional use.
    If you're using XP, you'll probably need to find a driver for it.
    It uses USB 1.1, so it'll be slow compared to what's newer.
    Good luck!

    Bill Funk, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Markeau Guest

    Aren't there some flatbed scanners that will scan negs? If so, you
    can place multiple prints/negs on a flatbed and Photoshop products
    will separate them and create individual files for each print/neg.
    Markeau, Sep 9, 2005
  6. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > my sister wants to scan all of her 35mm negs and prints (3x5, 4x6
    > mostly). she would need the easiest possible solution as she doesn't
    > have tons of time for this project and she's not the most computer
    > savvy person. i'm wondering if there's something out there that
    > literally lets you feed negative strips in and you hit a button and it
    > scans it for you. and also lets you do prints as well. does this exist?
    > does it cost one million dollars?

    Most flat-top scanners will take A4 prints meaning you could scan 2 or 4
    prints at a time, however you'll have to digitally cut them up later.

    Most film scanners allow you to scan a strip of 6 at one time.

    Scanning negs and prints is a time-consuming operation unless you pay
    someone else to do this and as it's a repeat-repeat operation no PC
    savviness is required.

    Get her to sort through her collection first and divide everything into
    Essential, Good, If-I-have-time and junk piles. This is much faster than
    simply starting from A and working through to Z. Making notes of what
    you've done and haven't done while the scanner is doing its job should
    remove the desire to keep hitting that pot of coffee downstairs.
    Stewy, Sep 9, 2005
  7. Guest

    You'd think there's be a market solution for this, wouldn't you? I'm
    the fellow who posed the 'batch scanning' question. There must be a
    million people out there who'd like to scan in a few thousand prints
    and negatives; few have the time to spare. Outsourcing options seem
    fewer than expected, and who dares part with these images anyway?

    Sometimes markets are slow to put things together. It's not a technical
    challenge -- it's a packaging and pricing problem.

    There are some Epson flat beds that will allow you to lay out 4 35mm
    strips on the glass and scan them en-masse. This requires less operator
    attention than the Nikon film scanner I have. I believe the results are
    inferior to the Nikon, but they're pretty darned good. Most peoples
    home prints aren't superb anyway (mine aren't -- I used to use a crummy
    camera).

    Epson has also introduced, very recently, a flat bed scanner that will
    handle film strips similarly to a dedicated negative scanner, so
    there's a negative/single print solution.

    What you most want, though, is what I asked for. A dedicated print
    scanner with a reliable 4x6 sheet feeder. HP has one but it's a mess --
    Amazon reviews are awful. Epson had one a few months ago but it's off
    the market.

    I suspect something will come along. I'd love to see a vendor put
    together a compact form factor device that could batch scan prints, and
    they might as well add a negative scanner to broaden the commercial
    appeal.

    Two caveats:

    1. Reliable sheet feeders aren't cheap. They seem to be tough to make.
    The sheet feeder may be much more costly to manufacture than the rest
    of the scanner.

    2. Scanning images used to be a real black art -- especially slides and
    negatives. It's way trickier than I ever imagined. Things do seem to be
    getting more automated; there's an impressive amount of 'AI' in the
    newest products.

    So, bottom line, no solution on the market today. I wouldn't be
    shocked, however, if something appears in time for the holiday shopping
    season.

    meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, print scanner, automated, batch, low
    maintenance
    , Sep 9, 2005
  8. Aad Guest

    <> schreef in bericht
    > my sister wants to scan all of her 35mm negs and prints (3x5, 4x6
    > mostly). she would need the easiest possible solution as she doesn't
    > have tons of time for this project and she's not the most computer
    > savvy person. i'm wondering if there's something out there that
    > literally lets you feed negative strips in and you hit a button and it
    > scans it for you. and also lets you do prints as well. does this exist?
    > does it cost one million dollars?
    >
    > thanks!

    another option; project them on a good screen, take your digital camera and
    .....click, zooof, click, zooof, click, zooof....
    Aad
    Aad, Sep 9, 2005
  9. Jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > You'd think there's be a market solution for this, wouldn't you? I'm
    > the fellow who posed the 'batch scanning' question. There must be a
    > million people out there who'd like to scan in a few thousand prints
    > and negatives; few have the time to spare.

    The determining factor is what level of quality you require.

    If you are scanning your film for archival reasons, those cheap scanners are
    going to yield inferior quality image files.

    Even with an excellent scanner, one needs to put in time and skill to get
    the desired results. The notion that one can simply pile a bunch of negs or
    slides into a feeder, and come back an hour later to find the job all done,
    is fantasy.

    And, if you want all that, and at a cheap price too, it becomes impossible.
    Everything has its price.
    Jeremy, Sep 9, 2005
  10. Jasen Guest

    I bought the Epson 4180. It's a doddle to use and good quailty at a
    resolution that will blow your grandma away!
    Mine was $600 Aussie dollars but I think there is a cheaper version plus the
    Canon models might be cheaper too.
    Getting a company to scan them for you is expensive here. But some have
    computers you can used for an hourly rate of about $40 and you can scan as
    much as you can fit into the time you can afford. It all depends on how many
    prints and slides you have to do.
    My choice was the most cost efficient for me for the long term.

    Jasen, Sep 10, 2005