scanning in safe mode

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jils, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. jils

    jils Guest

    there's a computer in my house that's not maintained as regularly as it
    should be (win2k). it was showing signs of poor performance recently,
    and the virus scanner (vet) would hang about five mins after starting.
    tried several times, same result.

    trend micro housecall dealt with two worms and two trojans.

    then updated spybot to 1.3 and dealt with 154 bad entries, updated
    adaware to se and dealt with a further 95 items.

    vet still won't run, just hangs after a few mins. tried another free
    online virus scanner, "stop sign", it scanned enough to show there were
    some files it considered infected with spyware but then the computer hung.

    tried safe mode, scan with vet, pc died after a few mins. rebooted into
    safe mode again, tried "stop sign", computer hung after a few mins of
    scanning.

    next step is obviously a reformat, but if anyone has any constructive
    suggestions before we take that plunge, i'd be grateful!
    jils, Nov 5, 2004

  2. jils

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "jils" <> wrote in message
    > there's a computer in my house that's not maintained as regularly as it
    > should be (win2k). it was showing signs of poor performance recently, and
    > the virus scanner (vet) would hang about five mins after starting. tried
    > several times, same result.
    >
    > trend micro housecall dealt with two worms and two trojans.
    >
    > then updated spybot to 1.3 and dealt with 154 bad entries, updated adaware
    > to se and dealt with a further 95 items.
    >
    > vet still won't run, just hangs after a few mins. tried another free
    > online virus scanner, "stop sign", it scanned enough to show there were
    > some files it considered infected with spyware but then the computer hung.
    >
    > tried safe mode, scan with vet, pc died after a few mins. rebooted into
    > safe mode again, tried "stop sign", computer hung after a few mins of
    > scanning.
    >
    > next step is obviously a reformat, but if anyone has any constructive
    > suggestions before we take that plunge, i'd be grateful!

    to avoid reformatting in the future, it's best to create a (ghost) image of
    your HDD.
    but in your present situation, a registry cleanup should be performed and
    the usual chkdsk/defrag.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Nov 5, 2004

  3. jils

    Ron Martell Guest

    jils <> wrote:

    >there's a computer in my house that's not maintained as regularly as it
    >should be (win2k). it was showing signs of poor performance recently,
    >and the virus scanner (vet) would hang about five mins after starting.
    >tried several times, same result.
    >
    >trend micro housecall dealt with two worms and two trojans.
    >
    >then updated spybot to 1.3 and dealt with 154 bad entries, updated
    >adaware to se and dealt with a further 95 items.
    >
    >vet still won't run, just hangs after a few mins. tried another free
    >online virus scanner, "stop sign", it scanned enough to show there were
    >some files it considered infected with spyware but then the computer hung.
    >
    >tried safe mode, scan with vet, pc died after a few mins. rebooted into
    >safe mode again, tried "stop sign", computer hung after a few mins of
    >scanning.
    >
    >next step is obviously a reformat, but if anyone has any constructive
    >suggestions before we take that plunge, i'd be grateful!

    Try Panda's online scanner. It takes a while but is pretty effective:

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 5, 2004
  4. jils

    jils Guest

    thanks ron, that worked nicely and found another 91 instances of
    worms/viruses in various emails. since they hadn't been opened, i don't
    think any were active. anyway, nice to get more cleaning up done!

    vet still won't run without hanging though.
    off to chkdsk/scan and registry clean now ...

    jils, Nov 6, 2004