    Kue2 Guest

    I'm using Outlook express to receive my newsgroups. Does outlook
    automaticlly scan received msg or how do I set it up?
    Kue2, Nov 2, 2005

  2. For viruses? Yes, depending on AntiVirus utility you have installed
    installed, I don't know of Office Outlook being a newsgroup reader though.
    Appropriate group for questions regarding Outlook Express -
    microsoft.public.outlookexpress - For Office Outlook -
    microsoft.public.outlook
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 2, 2005

  3. One useful option for OE is to force it to read ALL messages in plain text
    only. It's both appropriate and fully functional for newsgroups, and an
    excellent defense, IMHO.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 2, 2005
  4. OE, not Outlook. And OE is an excellent NG reader, actually. At least for my
    purposes.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 2, 2005
  5. Hi,

    There are a few addins for outlook which will allow you to get nntp
    messages in outlook. Newshound is one of them.

    http://www.shorelinesoftware.com/

    Ken
    -------------------------

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIFR1Y2tlciBbTVZQXQ==?=, Nov 2, 2005
  6. I read that the next version of Outlook will have RSS functionality built
    in, so this should be a great way to subscribe to newsgroups and reply to
    post. Ken, I'm going to give your suggestion a try, I wouldn't mind keeping
    everything central, although I think OE is very robust and dedicated when it
    comes NNTP readers.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 2, 2005
  7. Yeah, I know. I use NewsGator, actually, but I have to admit I find it less
    than satisfactory for dealing with newsgroups. And I've tried other ways to
    have Outlook do NGs, but none of them so far does it as well as OE does it.
    So why bother?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 2, 2005
  8. Hi,

    Thats true newsgator works fine for newsgroups with very little
    activity. Outlook express does work best.

    Ken
    -------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Nov 2, 2005
  9. Kue2 wrote:
    > I'm using Outlook express to receive my newsgroups. Does outlook
    > automaticlly scan received msg or how do I set it up?

    No, OE has no anti-virus capability whatsoever. However, most
    antivirus applications do include the capability of scanning email and
    newsgroup messages. Consult the documentation that comes with whatever
    antivirus application you have installed.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm