    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    http://www.jimscott.co.uk

    Jim S, Mar 25, 2007

  2. On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:10:36 +0000, Jim S wrote:

    > Is there a 'rule' that I can use when scanning a document as a jpeg such
    > that it will fit in the standard email window so that it can be read
    > without scrolling left and right? (Assuming the usual 1024 pixel width
    > full screen)

    When you scan the document, your software should provide a "preview" of
    the scan, and other settings as well. Change the settings such that the
    scanned image will be the proper file size. (You can also crop out
    image-less white space from the scan at the same time.)

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

    Gary G. Taylor, Mar 25, 2007

  3. Jim S wrote:
    > Is there a 'rule' that I can use when scanning a document as a jpeg
    > such that it will fit in the standard email window so that it can be
    > read without scrolling left and right? (Assuming the usual 1024 pixel
    > width full screen)

    Who says that's "usual"? That you're using it is irrelevant.

    Even if someone *is* running a 1024-pixel screen width, you don't know
    how big a window they're running the viewer in. That you apparently run
    all your applications full screen is irrelevant.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:10:36 +0000, Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a 'rule' that I can use when scanning a document as a jpeg
    >> such that it will fit in the standard email window so that it can be
    >> read without scrolling left and right? (Assuming the usual 1024 pixel
    >> width full screen)

    > When you scan the document, your software should provide a "preview"
    > of the scan, and other settings as well. Change the settings such that
    > the scanned image will be the proper file size. (You can also crop out
    > image-less white space from the scan at the same time.)

    C'mon, Gary. You know that he doesn't know how much screen geography
    his correspondents' are giving their email programs. I know you know
    that. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On 25 Mar 2007 15:13:50 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> Is there a 'rule' that I can use when scanning a document as a jpeg
    >> such that it will fit in the standard email window so that it can be
    >> read without scrolling left and right? (Assuming the usual 1024 pixel
    >> width full screen)

    > Who says that's "usual"? That you're using it is irrelevant.
    >
    > Even if someone *is* running a 1024-pixel screen width, you don't know
    > how big a window they're running the viewer in. That you apparently run
    > all your applications full screen is irrelevant.

    Plonk!
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Mar 25, 2007
  6. Jim S wrote:
    > On 25 Mar 2007 15:13:50 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> Is there a 'rule' that I can use when scanning a document as a jpeg
    >>> such that it will fit in the standard email window so that it can be
    >>> read without scrolling left and right? (Assuming the usual 1024 pixel
    >>> width full screen)

    >> Who says that's "usual"? That you're using it is irrelevant.
    >>
    >> Even if someone *is* running a 1024-pixel screen width, you don't know
    >> how big a window they're running the viewer in. That you apparently run
    >> all your applications full screen is irrelevant.

    > Plonk!

    What an idiot.

    Guess he's just going to keep on pretending that window size doesn't
    matter.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 25, 2007
  7. Jim S

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-25, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Jim S wrote:
    >> Is there a 'rule' that I can use when scanning a document as a jpeg
    >> such that it will fit in the standard email window so that it can be
    >> read without scrolling left and right? (Assuming the usual 1024 pixel
    >> width full screen)

    > Who says that's "usual"? That you're using it is irrelevant.
    >
    > Even if someone *is* running a 1024-pixel screen width, you don't know
    > how big a window they're running the viewer in. That you apparently run
    > all your applications full screen is irrelevant.

    It's also polite to keep the attachment file size no bigger than is really
    necessary. Particularly if your recipient uses a dial-up connection, or
    you don't know what sort of internet connection or computer they have. I
    suggest that an image no larger than 800x600 pixels is quite large enough;
    many people still have their display set to that size anyway. An even
    smaller image may be even more acceptable.

    Other ways to reduce the amount of data to be transferred include
    increasing the compression (reducing the 'quality') of the .jpg file - or
    using a different format entirely, such as .png or .gif

    Scanners and most recent digital cameras default to producing image files
    that are much larger and more detailed than are required for viewing on a
    computer screen, even if they will fit without viewing them with a program
    that can 'zoom out' or 'fit to screen'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 25, 2007
  8. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 16:47:23 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-03-25, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> Is there a 'rule' that I can use when scanning a document as a jpeg
    >>> such that it will fit in the standard email window so that it can be
    >>> read without scrolling left and right? (Assuming the usual 1024 pixel
    >>> width full screen)

    >> Who says that's "usual"? That you're using it is irrelevant.
    >>
    >> Even if someone *is* running a 1024-pixel screen width, you don't know
    >> how big a window they're running the viewer in. That you apparently run
    >> all your applications full screen is irrelevant.

    > It's also polite to keep the attachment file size no bigger than is really
    > necessary. Particularly if your recipient uses a dial-up connection, or
    > you don't know what sort of internet connection or computer they have. I
    > suggest that an image no larger than 800x600 pixels is quite large enough;
    > many people still have their display set to that size anyway. An even
    > smaller image may be even more acceptable.
    >
    > Other ways to reduce the amount of data to be transferred include
    > increasing the compression (reducing the 'quality') of the .jpg file - or
    > using a different format entirely, such as .png or .gif
    >
    > Scanners and most recent digital cameras default to producing image files
    > that are much larger and more detailed than are required for viewing on a
    > computer screen, even if they will fit without viewing them with a program
    > that can 'zoom out' or 'fit to screen'.

    I am unaware of the skills of the recipients nor whether they have
    functioning printers with ink.
    I needed to send 3 x A4 size sheets, one of which is a poster and have them
    readable.
    No big deal really.
    Just wondered if there is a rule of thumb.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Mar 25, 2007
  9. Jim S

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-25, Jim S <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 16:47:23 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    >>> Who says that's "usual"? That you're using it is irrelevant.
    >>>
    >>> Even if someone *is* running a 1024-pixel screen width, you don't know
    >>> how big a window they're running the viewer in. That you apparently run
    >>> all your applications full screen is irrelevant.

    >> It's also polite to keep the attachment file size no bigger than is really
    >> necessary. Particularly if your recipient uses a dial-up connection, or
    >> you don't know what sort of internet connection or computer they have. I
    >> suggest that an image no larger than 800x600 pixels is quite large enough;
    >> many people still have their display set to that size anyway. An even
    >> smaller image may be even more acceptable.
    >>
    >> Other ways to reduce the amount of data to be transferred include
    >> increasing the compression (reducing the 'quality') of the .jpg file - or
    >> using a different format entirely, such as .png or .gif
    >>
    >> Scanners and most recent digital cameras default to producing image files
    >> that are much larger and more detailed than are required for viewing on a
    >> computer screen, even if they will fit without viewing them with a program
    >> that can 'zoom out' or 'fit to screen'.

    > I am unaware of the skills of the recipients nor whether they have
    > functioning printers with ink.
    > I needed to send 3 x A4 size sheets, one of which is a poster and have them
    > readable.
    > No big deal really.
    > Just wondered if there is a rule of thumb.

    "Portable Document Format" is made for just that sort of thing. Most
    people have the free Adobe PDF reader, it or some other PDF reader is
    required for reading the instruction manuals issued on CD with most
    gadgets and software these days.

    Creating such a file is another matter. I have never used these, but for
    Windows systems there are <http://www.pdf995.com/> and
    <http://www.cutepdf.com/> among others. I think that
    <http://www.irfanview.com/> can also convert image files to PDF if the
    necessary plugins are installed for it. Perhaps if you need help turning
    your scanned stuff into PDF files, you should ask that exact question.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 25, 2007
  10. Jim S

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Jim S wrote:
    > I am unaware of the skills of the recipients nor whether they have
    > functioning printers with ink.
    > I needed to send 3 x A4 size sheets, one of which is a poster and have them
    > readable.

    Now, if you had said that in the first place......

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 25, 2007