scanning document for PDF

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frank, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Hi ,
    Maybe you can help?

    My wife is doing a Math correspondence course and has to hand write the
    assignment pages (10x) as it's too complicated and time consuming to type it
    in Word using Equation Editor.

    They allow her to submit the assignment pages collated as a PDF file with a
    total max size (1MB) for all 10 pages. They will print the PDF on their end
    (that's why I scan at 300dpi).

    So my task is to scan each page and keep the file size of each real small. I
    am scanning 256 Gray at 300dpi (MicrotekIII with Scanwizard) and then
    adjusting Levels (in PS) and using Unsharp mask and then converting it to
    Bitmap Mode.

    I find that saving this file as a Tif with LZW compression results in about
    as small a file as I can get. In Bitmap, the Save AS options are limited. I
    can get a Tif page/file to about 710KB - still large ...............

    If I were to keep it in Grayscale then the Jpeg option would be available
    but that is still pretty big, although using Acrobat (printing to PDF Writer
    or Distiller seems to still make a larger size)

    When we take the tif and convert it (in Acrobat full version) to PDF (by
    using Save As, or Print to Distiller or PDF Writer) then the PDF file
    becomes huge at 1.4MB

    Scanning directly in Line Art Mode (in ScanWizard) would help but it seems
    to "break up" / "destroy" the letters

    Can you offer any solution here ?

    thanks
    Frank

    Frank, Jun 8, 2004

  2. When you have made your files as small as possible, would zipping help
    to shrink the size further, enough to make it worthwhile?

    --
    Juan
    - Ex Posto Fucto: Lost In The Mail

    test - ignore, Jun 8, 2004

  3. > My wife is doing a Math correspondence course and has to hand write the
    > assignment pages (10x) as it's too complicated and time consuming to
    > type it in Word using Equation Editor.
    >
    > They allow her to submit the assignment pages collated as a PDF file
    > with a total max size (1MB) for all 10 pages. They will print the PDF on
    > their end (that's why I scan at 300dpi).
    >
    > So my task is to scan each page and keep the file size of each real
    > small. I am scanning 256 Gray at 300dpi (MicrotekIII with Scanwizard)
    > and then adjusting Levels (in PS) and using Unsharp mask and then
    > converting it to Bitmap Mode.
    >
    > I find that saving this file as a Tif with LZW compression results in
    > about as small a file as I can get. In Bitmap, the Save AS options are
    > limited. I can get a Tif page/file to about 710KB - still large
    >
    > If I were to keep it in Grayscale then the Jpeg option would be
    > available but that is still pretty big, although using Acrobat (printing
    > to PDF Writer or Distiller seems to still make a larger size)
    >
    > When we take the tif and convert it (in Acrobat full version) to PDF (by
    > using Save As, or Print to Distiller or PDF Writer) then the PDF file
    > becomes huge at 1.4MB
    >
    > Scanning directly in Line Art Mode (in ScanWizard) would help but it
    > seems to "break up" / "destroy" the letters
    >
    > Can you offer any solution here ?

    * Scan at or resize Tiff to 150dpi - 200dpi

    * If the image is just text convert the tiff to B&W file before converting
    to pdf

    FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    The future is our past and our past is our future.

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Frank

    Frank Guest

    > When you have made your files as small as possible, would zipping help
    > to shrink the size further, enough to make it worthwhile?

    Tried it. I'm not sure why, but zipping doesn't reduce the size (by any
    significant amount)

    Frank, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    > * Scan at or resize Tiff to 150dpi - 200dpi

    This may help a little but also may degrade the printing of the PDF's as
    most printers want about 300 dpi

    > * If the image is just text convert the tiff to B&W file before converting
    > to pdf

    Like I said it is scanned as Grayscale (256) and then the Mode is converted
    to Bitmap

    Frank, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Frank wrote:

    >> * Scan at or resize Tiff to 150dpi - 200dpi
    >>

    > This may help a little but also may degrade the printing of the PDF's as
    > most printers want about 300 dpi

    Newspaper photos are typically printed at 150dpi. So even if the people at
    the other end are using a higher resolution, I don't think much will be
    lost. Experiment a bit by printing things yourself.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Jun 8, 2004
  7. I don't know if its ok to write about this, but I am very satisfied
    with a little shareware gem that does it in two seconds called
    "scanout", this program can save to TIFF or PDF with excellent
    compression rate. At least just give it a try, it allows you to use it
    free of charge for 15 days (and they don't create any watermark for
    that time, so at least you can use it for real during the evaluation
    time!
    Cheers.
    Sergio.

    Sergio Freitas, Jun 8, 2004
  8. Sergio Freitas, Jun 8, 2004

  9. >> * Scan at or resize Tiff to 150dpi - 200dpi

    > This may help a little but also may degrade the printing of the PDF's as
    > most printers want about 300 dpi

    May help only a little, but that little may be enough to get you under the
    one Megabyte.

    Most printers will not need any higher... and you have to have some give and
    take in this situation, you probably won't see any difference in the
    printing... you really only need 300dpi if you are printing higher quality
    (like Offset printing for a magizine of something... news print is usually
    only around 200dpi (unless using full colour))

    You may need to experiment. One must remember a PDF is just a compressed EPS
    file.

    You will get a smaller file if you convert a text document and only have the
    graphs where truely required.

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Jun 9, 2004