    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad Weiler, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Conrad Weiler

    Wally Guest

    On 11 Jun 2004 11:45:15 GMT, (Conrad Weiler) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Is it better to scan a b/w image with color settings or grayscale?
    >
    >Yesterday, using an ancient Artec scanner at 300 dpi, I scanned an 8x10 b/w
    >image using each setting separately. To my eyes -- the grayscale scan looked
    >better.
    >
    >Best,
    >
    >Conrad

    It depends... on lots of stuff!!

    (that's the technical answer...) :)

    Usually a digital BW image has 8 bits, or 256 shades. Now your original print
    may have more range then that, so scanning in color might pick up a few more
    shades. Color is also 256 levels, but times 3, so you may get something in
    between.

    Once you are done, you may want to convert back to BW, it can give a sharper
    appearing image.

    Now as to whether or not you actually gained something?

    Depends... on the algorithms used for conversion for one thing.

    Of course, if you have the opportunity to scan in more then 24 bit then go for
    it!

    I always scan in color at the highest bit setting and greatest optical
    resolution to avoid various types of distortions.

    Wally, Jun 12, 2004