scanning AT&T's secure email?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Howard, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    I have Norton Antivirus 2004, which is supposed to scan incoming and
    outgoing email automatically (meaning without special configuration. It
    used to work when I was just a dial-up AT&T customer, but now that I've
    upgraded to DSL, I have to use secure settings to access the AT&T mail
    servers

    I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird, and Norton is set to show
    indicators when it's scanning, but no such indicators appear -- my mail
    just comes and goes, apparently with no scanning.

    I've also tried AVG Email scanner, which, when configured properly,
    holds up everything and never seems to get anything scanned either.
    After that, I tried a free trial of Panda, just to see if anything
    worked properly with the secure server settings, and that hung the whole
    machine up, just like AVG.

    Does anyone know any tricks for this? I think I read on the WURD site
    that a solution was to turn off email scanning, which seems like a
    fairly dangerous path to take -- but if it's not scanning anyway...

    Any insight on this issue would be great. Thanks.

    Howard, Dec 29, 2004

  2. Howard

    Old Gringo Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > I have Norton Antivirus 2004, which is supposed to scan incoming and
    > outgoing email automatically (meaning without special configuration. It
    > used to work when I was just a dial-up AT&T customer, but now that I've
    > upgraded to DSL, I have to use secure settings to access the AT&T mail
    > servers
    >
    > I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird, and Norton is set to show
    > indicators when it's scanning, but no such indicators appear -- my mail
    > just comes and goes, apparently with no scanning.
    >
    > I've also tried AVG Email scanner, which, when configured properly,
    > holds up everything and never seems to get anything scanned either.
    > After that, I tried a free trial of Panda, just to see if anything
    > worked properly with the secure server settings, and that hung the whole
    > machine up, just like AVG.
    >
    > Does anyone know any tricks for this? I think I read on the WURD site
    > that a solution was to turn off email scanning, which seems like a
    > fairly dangerous path to take -- but if it's not scanning anyway...
    >
    > Any insight on this issue would be great. Thanks.

    Now that you are on faster connection, you may not be able to notice
    the scan as you did on dial-up. Load some pics. in an email and send
    it to yourself. This will take more time than a regular text email
    and you can see the results.

    --
    Old Gringo George

    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest