Scanning 8.5" x 11" colour gloss poster

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by A, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. A

    A Guest

    I have a few peices of Point of Sale that I need to make digital, so that I
    can use them in a sales presentation (most likely through Powerpoint).

    I'm wondering what the best way to do this is with reasonable file sizes.
    I did a couple of scans; one @ 200 one @ 2400; the 2400 one was far too big
    (200+MB), but the 200 one had crappy quality.

    Am I best to just play with DPI until I find a happy medium, or is there a
    better way, like taking the 2400 image and reducing its size with something
    like Photoshop.

    I guess what I'm asking is whether there is a way to get an image that is
    of higher quality than my 200dpi scan, but the same size.

    I don't feel that I am locked into JPEG, so if there is a different type of
    format that I should be using, please let me know.

    Thx,

    A, Sep 30, 2005

  2. A

    Stewy Guest

    In article <Xns96E0BF1BC44B5A@64.59.144.76>, A <> wrote:

    > I have a few peices of Point of Sale that I need to make digital, so that I
    > can use them in a sales presentation (most likely through Powerpoint).
    >
    > I'm wondering what the best way to do this is with reasonable file sizes.
    > I did a couple of scans; one @ 200 one @ 2400; the 2400 one was far too big
    > (200+MB), but the 200 one had crappy quality.
    >
    > Am I best to just play with DPI until I find a happy medium, or is there a
    > better way, like taking the 2400 image and reducing its size with something
    > like Photoshop.
    >
    > I guess what I'm asking is whether there is a way to get an image that is
    > of higher quality than my 200dpi scan, but the same size.
    >
    > I don't feel that I am locked into JPEG, so if there is a different type of
    > format that I should be using, please let me know.

    Scan at the resolution you aim to printout.
    For a same size reprint I'd suggest 300dpi of you want to double the
    print size try 600 etc

    The only things I scan at a dpi larger than 1000 are stamps and coins
    Stewy, Oct 3, 2005