    together with digicam on a tripod?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    > standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    > combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    > sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.
    >
    > I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    > these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?
    >
    > Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    > old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    > battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    > together with digicam on a tripod?

    I could go into detail, but the short answer is to buy a dedicated film
    scanner. No flatbed with all the adapters in the world will get you
    satisfactory results. Nikon makes some good, relatively inexpensive film
    scanners as long as you can stick to 35mm format. Another alternative
    would be to have enlargements made from the slides and scan them. Not
    nearly as good, but a heck of a lot better than flatbed scanner scans of
    film.

    I've not tried the projector/digital camera setup so can't comment. But
    I wouldn't be very optimistic about it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell

    «BONEHEAD>> Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    >> standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    >> combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    >> sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.
    >>
    >> I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    >> these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?
    >>
    >> Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    >> old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    >> battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    >> together with digicam on a tripod?

    > I could go into detail, but the short answer is to buy a dedicated film
    > scanner. No flatbed with all the adapters in the world will get you
    > satisfactory results. Nikon makes some good, relatively inexpensive film
    > scanners as long as you can stick to 35mm format. Another alternative
    > would be to have enlargements made from the slides and scan them. Not
    > nearly as good, but a heck of a lot better than flatbed scanner scans of
    > film.
    >
    > I've not tried the projector/digital camera setup so can't comment. But I
    > wouldn't be very optimistic about it.

    Check out photo labs in your area. The cost is minimal, compared to the
    time it takes to get something going at home.

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «BONEHEAD>>, Mar 7, 2005
  4. On 3/7/2005 2:10 AM or thereabouts, Terry Pinnell appears, somewhat
    unbelievably, to have opined:
    > Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    > standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    > combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    > sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.
    >
    > I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    > these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?
    >
    > Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    > old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    > battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    > together with digicam on a tripod?

    I have a HP scanjet 3970 with built itn film adapter. It does a pretty
    fair job scanning old slides. Some models of scanners have add on film
    adapters available, but most do not. The HP was under $100.

    --
    I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
    would make them laugh.

    Dennis Turner, Mar 7, 2005
  5. On 3/7/2005 2:10 AM or thereabouts, Terry Pinnell appears, somewhat
    unbelievably, to have opined:
    > Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    > standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    > combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    > sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.
    >
    > I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    > these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?
    >
    > Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    > old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    > battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    > together with digicam on a tripod?

    You might be able to improvise something with a sheet of frosted
    plexiglass or glass over the slide in place of your scanner's lid. You
    will need to shine a light on the surface of the sheet to illuminate the
    slide. I think you could probably come up with the right combination
    of light source, etc. to work by trial and error, but I can't imagine
    the resulting scans would be of very high quality.

    Dennis Turner, Mar 7, 2005
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:36:40 -0600, Dennis Turner <>
    wrote:

    |> > Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    |> > old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    |> > battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    |> > together with digicam on a tripod?

    |> You might be able to improvise something with a sheet of frosted
    |> plexiglass or glass over the slide in place of your scanner's lid. You
    |> will need to shine a light on the surface of the sheet to illuminate the
    |> slide. I think you could probably come up with the right combination
    |> of light source, etc. to work by trial and error, but I can't imagine
    |> the resulting scans would be of very high quality.

    Na, Rôgêr's on the mark here, buy something made for this, it's cheaper
    and better quality output.

    I tried to scan neg's one time, by installing florescent bulbs above the
    scanner - it works but they must be F40CW as it's the same bulbs
    scanners use, but you just can't buy them any more. Then there's the
    problem of diffusion, as the middle of the bulb is brighter than the
    sides and it's obvious in the output.

    Then there's a web site I found years ago that had directions for a
    triangular (cube?) that you made out of foil and placed over the neg,
    the object was to reflect the light back thu the neg, no go.

    Buy a neg copier.

    --
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12465622-13762,00.html

    , Mar 7, 2005
  7. «BONEHEAD>> wrote:

    > Check out photo labs in your area. The cost is minimal, compared to the
    > time it takes to get something going at home.

    That's a bonehead idea, but a good one.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 7, 2005
  8. wrote:

    > Then there's a web site I found years ago that had directions for a
    > triangular (cube?) that you made out of foil and placed over the neg,
    > the object was to reflect the light back thu the neg, no go.
    >
    > Buy a neg copier.

    HP of all people put out an expensive scanner for a while that came with
    a film scanning attachment. It was a triangular piece of plastic with
    mirrors at almost the correct angle to reflect light back through the
    film. Results were worse than horrid. I've had two other flatbeds that
    had sophisticated methods for film scanning. One was a Visioneer with a
    "puck" thingie that had a light source that you plug in and lay on the
    film. The other was a Umax (I think) that had a tray film holder that
    slid in between the light and sensor. The results were crappy on both.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 8, 2005