    exposed 35mm film but you need the film for this. Surely I'm not the
    only person who wants to digitize thier 110 negs? Any suggestions?

    , Jul 27, 2006

  2. Andy Hewitt Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Hi, I'm in the process of scanning all my negatives so that I have a
    > complete digital library. I am currently using an Epson Perfection 4180
    > flatbed scanner.

    Blimey, same here, I probably have at least 2000 photos.

    > However being (as they say) a silver surfer, I have a number of 110
    > negatives (20-30 films worth) and I don't have an adaptor to fit these
    > into the 35mm neg carrier. Buying slide carriers would cost a fortune
    > (this would equate to about 500 -600 slides) and would take forever to
    > cut and mount the negs. Having new prints made, that I could scan from,
    > would also be expensive. Some sort of mount that converted them into
    > 35mm size would be good. I read somewhere about mounting them on over
    > exposed 35mm film but you need the film for this. Surely I'm not the
    > only person who wants to digitize thier 110 negs? Any suggestions?

    Actually I'm about to using an Epson 4490. I'm currently doing my 126
    negatives, which fit the 35mm holders, but crop a lot of the image.

    In the end I found by using a sheet of plain glass (I nicked one from a
    photo frame) to place over the negative straight onto the flat bed
    glass, does actually work very well. The 110's are next, although
    fortunately I don't have as many as you to deal with.

    You do need to make sure you leave a gap between the end of the negative
    strip and the edge of the platter, it just produced an almost black
    image on mine otherwise. And make sure you do put the negative face side
    down (the numbers need to read back-to-front from above).

    If you're using the EpsonScan software, then you also need to select the
    'Preview' options tab, and switch from Thumbnail to Normal. You then
    just use the multiple image selection tool as you would normally for
    multiple photos.

    I'd suggest scanning the 110's at the highest resolution you have,
    4800dpi if you can. I normally scan my 35mm images at 3200dpi which
    gives me images about the same size as a 6MP camera.

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/>

    Andy Hewitt, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Ken Weitzel Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, I'm in the process of scanning all my negatives so that I have a
    > complete digital library. I am currently using an Epson Perfection 4180
    > flatbed scanner.
    >
    > However being (as they say) a silver surfer, I have a number of 110
    > negatives (20-30 films worth) and I don't have an adaptor to fit these
    > into the 35mm neg carrier. Buying slide carriers would cost a fortune
    > (this would equate to about 500 -600 slides) and would take forever to
    > cut and mount the negs. Having new prints made, that I could scan from,
    > would also be expensive. Some sort of mount that converted them into
    > 35mm size would be good. I read somewhere about mounting them on over
    > exposed 35mm film but you need the film for this. Surely I'm not the
    > only person who wants to digitize thier 110 negs? Any suggestions?

    Hi Bob...

    Doug Fisher makes (or at least made) a variety of different
    holders for film scanners.

    Take a look here, see if you can find what you're looking for,
    and if not drop him a line and ask if he can help. (there's a
    send email button at the bottom of this form)

    http://www.betterscanning.com/

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 27, 2006
  4. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi, I'm in the process of scanning all my negatives so that I have a
    > complete digital library. I am currently using an Epson Perfection 4180
    > flatbed scanner.
    >
    > However being (as they say) a silver surfer, I have a number of 110
    > negatives (20-30 films worth) and I don't have an adaptor to fit these
    > into the 35mm neg carrier. Buying slide carriers would cost a fortune
    > (this would equate to about 500 -600 slides) and would take forever to
    > cut and mount the negs. Having new prints made, that I could scan from,
    > would also be expensive. Some sort of mount that converted them into
    > 35mm size would be good. I read somewhere about mounting them on over
    > exposed 35mm film but you need the film for this. Surely I'm not the
    > only person who wants to digitize thier 110 negs? Any suggestions?

    Beg a Gepe anti-Newton glass 35mm slide mount (half frame is even
    better). Carefully file down the two edges on either side to allow the
    110 film to slide through the mount. I did this for a number of 16mm
    films I had and it worked quite well. You'll need to trim and level the
    resulting scans, but this IS a solution. See below

    ---------
    [ ]
    [ _____ ]
    [ _____ ]