scanners

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nova, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. nova

    nova Guest

    can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
    care of

    spyware
    malware
    adware
    keyloggers

    etc etc

    I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of the
    above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that takes
    care of it all.

    Thanks for your suggestions!

    nova, Mar 6, 2005

  2. nova wrote:
    > can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
    > care of
    >
    > spyware
    > malware
    > adware
    > keyloggers
    >
    > etc etc
    >
    > I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of the
    > above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that takes
    > care of it all.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions!

    Linux. No I'm not serious, I hate Linux, use FreeBSD instead.

    Seriously though, I'm not aware of any tool that can take care of
    everything. That is really putting your trust in one specific bit of
    software which may not always be reliable.

    I've found ClamAV detects things that aren't normally considered
    viruses, like dangerous JavaScript in the browser cache, and on one
    occasion I got a "COPYING FOUND" warning... I'm not even sure what this is.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 6, 2005

  3. On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:03:34 +1300, nova <> wrote:

    >can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
    >care of
    >
    >spyware
    >malware
    >adware
    >keyloggers
    >
    >etc etc
    >
    >I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of the
    >above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that takes
    >care of it all.
    >
    >Thanks for your suggestions!

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    None at all.

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 6, 2005
  4. nova

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    Some years ago a customer had a keypress virus that infected .com and .exe
    files. After a bit of hunting around the system I found that the virus
    scanner executable was the culprit. What had happened was the disc
    developed a fault and a bit or two inside the .exe file were changed.
    Although the virus-scanner exe ran, every time you booted another programme
    it too became infected.

    I opened the (now reinstalled AV scenner) in a hex editor an changed one bit
    inside the executable, saved it and ran it. Lo and behold executables
    started becoming infected with the keypress virus again.

    It turns out that if so much as one bit of the AV scanner was changed it
    mutated and became it's own virus host. The programme contained it's own
    virus. Therefore I'm with Bill and I do not trust any viral software, so I
    can recommend absolutely no AV scanners.

    There are still some solutions to be had...Do not use a computer, do not
    connect to the internet with a computer, do not install any software on a
    computer, do not insert any floppies or CD's into a computer. Or use
    Linux. :)

    -Peter

    nova wrote:
    > can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
    > care of
    > spyware
    > malware
    > adware
    > keyloggers
    > etc etc
    > I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of the
    > above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that takes
    > care of it all.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

    Peter Lowrie, Mar 6, 2005
  5. nova

    steve Guest

    nova wrote:
    > can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
    > care of
    >
    > spyware
    > malware
    > adware
    > keyloggers
    >
    > etc etc

    For Windows?

    Good luck...

    .....and i suspect you won't want to hear the best answer....

    (I use Linux and don't have to worry worry about any of these things
    except maybe a remotely planted keylogger.....which is unlikely, given
    my firewall and physical security arrangements.)

    steve, Mar 6, 2005
  6. nova

    Impossible Guest

    "nova" <> wrote in message
    > can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also
    > takes care of
    >
    > spyware
    > malware
    > adware
    > keyloggers
    >
    > etc etc
    >
    > I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of
    > the above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that
    > takes care of it all.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions!

    Norton Internet Security is a pretty complete package. AV with spyware
    and keylogger detection, firewall, anti-spam -- reguarly updated with
    malware signatures.

    Overall, switching from IE to Firefox is likely to drastrically reduce
    the malware you're exposed to.

    Impossible, Mar 6, 2005