Scanners - Fluorescent v LED

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Scanners - Fluorescent v LED

    I know that the newer LED scanners can scan a lot faster than the old
    cold cathode fluorescent ones, but I have heard/read that the old
    fluorescent lamp scanners give better results for prints. Is there any
    truth in this so far?

    I've not heard anything regarding the scanning of slides and negatives
    as far as the quality is concerned for Fluorescent v LED so I am
    assuming the LED is better for slides and negatives?

    So, LED lamps gives faster scans but are not as good quality wise for
    scanning prints?

    Also from a manufacturer perspective, in the past with the cold
    cathode fluorescent scanners, Epson have always given better results
    quality wise than Canon, however Canon scanners have always been much
    faster at scanning and only a short step off the pace in terms of
    quality. I am just wondering if much has changed with the arrival of
    LED scanners? Will Epson have caught up to Canon in terms of speed,
    LED v LED scanner, or would Canon still be ahead on that count?

    Thanks for your input and Happy Christmas.

    John
    John, Dec 26, 2007

  2. John

    Chet39 Guest

    I have two LED scanners (Canon standalone and part of a HP combo). Both
    give excellent results on color prints. My first scanner was a fluorescent
    and I found that the color results changed as it warmed up.

    Chet39, Dec 27, 2007

  3. There is no reason why the change in light source would directly impact
    the speed of the scanner either way.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 29, 2007
  4. John

    Obakesan Guest

    to John

    >> I know that the newer LED scanners can scan a lot faster than the old
    >> cold cathode fluorescent ones, but I have heard/read that the old

    I don't think its a factor of the lighting, rather the mechanical design.

    >> fluorescent lamp scanners give better results for prints. Is there any
    >> truth in this so far?

    its true that scanners which happen to use LEDs are faster, but I seriously
    doubt that this has anything to do with the light source so much as the rest
    of the design.

    >> So, LED lamps gives faster scans but are not as good quality wise for
    >> scanning prints?

    yes, although they handle things differently. You'll find that you NEED stuff
    like digital ICE on the LED based scanners, while the fluro types can get away
    without it.

    personally if I was not doing 4x5 sheet film, I'd have the Nikon 4000 or
    500 rather than my current Epson (even the LS-40 and 50 are better than my
    epson).

    >> Also from a manufacturer perspective, in the past with the cold
    >> cathode fluorescent scanners, Epson have always given better results
    >> quality wise than Canon, however Canon scanners have always been much

    if you believe that, thats fine.

    if you're intersted at this thread:

    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00NhzG

    there is a comparison between an epson and a nikon 8000 done on a neg of mine
    for testing against my 20D

    >> Thanks for your input and Happy Christmas.

    indeed ... same to you :)

    See Ya
    (when bandwidth gets better ;-)

    Chris Eastwood