Scanners compatible with X64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Danielle E, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. Danielle E

    Danielle E Guest

    My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
    going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would be
    handy.

    I find myself debating on the following:

    Separate scanner / printer or all in one?

    Manufacturer?

    If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?

    (I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon is
    supposed to release some soon.)

    Comments will be appreciated.

    (Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)

    Danielle

    Danielle E, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Stay away as far as possible from All-In-Ones if you plan on using x64, just
    buy a dedicated scanner, printer if you want a smooth experience. Yes, lots
    of hardware but its better than lots of frustration. They don't have to be
    the same manufacturer, just as long as they 64 bit native device drivers.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 10, 2005

  3. I had to ditch my Umax firewire scanner when I went 64 bit. I picked up a
    used Epson 3170 on Ebay (2 actually, one for another workstattion).
    Excellent unit and faster than the Umax. My first Epson and a good one....

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Danielle E

    Danielle E Guest

    On the web site the lowest cost Epson scanner I see with x64 drivers is the
    Epson Perfection 4490 photo that sells for $249.99. As I plan to use if for
    scanning text, it's a lot more scanner than I really need. Anyone see a
    lower cost one that is readily available? From what I see it seems that the
    X64 drivers are being introduced for the more expensive machines and not the
    lower cost ones.

    I want a flat bed scanner that wil scan 8 1/2 X 11.7 minimum.

    Although it may be difficult to elaborate, I wonder what problems people
    have been having with the all in one machines.

    I have found it difficult to find the compatible machines by doing web
    searches. I seem to find the incompatible ones.

    Danielle

    Danielle E, Dec 10, 2005
  5. Danielle E

    John Barnes Guest

    It much depends on what you need. To work in x64 I bought a Brother
    All-in-one. Drivers are available and work fine. The software does NOT work
    so the scanner has to be used with another program. Since I don't know what
    works and NONE of my x86 software will install or if it does, doesn't work.
    I use the built in scanner software, and unfortunately have to go into x86
    periodically to handle it the way I need it to.
    Printer and Copier functions work perfectly.

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005
  6. See
    http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vi...639C3D2CC01415B6A01BBCE999F5240001845688A94B2
    for a list of Epson products supported under x64.

    There are more and cheaper scanners supported than the 4490.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Danielle E

    John Barnes Guest

    See my post below, but Brother has 2 models of All-in-ones that have x64
    drivers for under $100. If you shop around and get the rebate you can go to
    $60

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005
  8. Danielle E

    Danielle E Guest

    Unfortunately, I believe a lot the lower cost ones listed there are no
    longer available.

    I have been looking at the following Epson page for available scanners.

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?oid=-8172

    Danielle

    Danielle E, Dec 10, 2005
  9. Danielle E

    Wim Zefat Guest

    Just bought a Canon LiDE 500F. Works great, though I had to get the drivers
    from the American website - no x64 drivers on the enclosed cd and none to
    be found on Canon's European website. The American website has x64 versions
    of the driver and the CanoScan Toolbox for this scanner though.

    Wim

    Wim Zefat, Dec 10, 2005
  10. Not to make arguments against anything that has been said, but I have to
    throw in a word for the HP's - I have the psc 2355, lot's of trouble six
    month's ago - then the pre-Beta drivers were issued and everything works
    perfectly. It will not scan from the printer panel, like it should, but it
    doesn't matter, the Control Panel Applet for Scanners and Cameras works with
    it's own excellence, it's just something you have to adapt to.

    And it's the nicest machine to look at,as well.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 10, 2005
  11. Danielle E

    Danielle E Guest

    Hi Dennis

    I see the Epson 3071 scanners are still available.

    To use the scanner was there anything other than the x64 Twain driver Epson
    scan utility that you needed?

    I essentially just need to copy the odd page out of a book, save and print.

    Danielle

    Danielle E, Dec 11, 2005
  12. I installed both the 64 and 32 bit versions of the Epson scan utility, since
    I'm dual booting. They both work about the same in their respective OSes. I
    scan to Photoshop, so I don't use the Epson utilitities other than the
    Twain, but I imagine they're OK. The think that I like about the 3170 is the
    build quality and the speed. It's the fastest USB scanner I've used; faster
    than the firewire Umax it replaced. It cost me $80 delivered on Ebay, and
    has held up well after a coupla months of steady use... although you never
    know when a used scanner may decide to die. So far, the two I bought are
    doing fine...

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 11, 2005
  13. Didnt lnow if this would interest you, I have an Epson CX6600 All in one,
    Printer, Scanner, Card reader etc, Works fine under XP64, No issues for me.
    Martin

    =?Utf-8?B?TUdiYXNzYWNl?=, Dec 12, 2005
  14. Danielle E

    Randy Guest

    I'd advise you to be sure your scanning application will work with the
    scanner you intend to buy before making a purchase... unless it's not going
    to be a mission critical type thing.

    I bought a very nice scanner with ADF for doing OCR work a while back. The
    bundled version on Fine Reader worked great with it, but I couldn't find the
    full version I wanted for under $500. So I bought OmniPage Pro instead for
    hundreds less. And it didn't properly recognize the auto doc. feeder. And
    they refused to honor their money-back compatiblity guarantee (OmniPage
    folks). So I have virtually-useless equipment now vis-a-vis that project,
    and am in the hole what I spent on it all.

    If you're just looking to do occasional/casual scanning, I doubt you could
    go wrong with one of Brother's all-in-one units that sell for $100 or less
    (saw a refurb last week for $40) after rebate. And they have 64bit drivers.
    They also have all-in-one lasers (mono) for $250 or less, but I'm not sure
    about their 64bit status. Brother has a very nice and useful website for
    support, which I also appreciate.

    Randy, Dec 14, 2005