    documents and save them as PDF files.

    Regards
    Giorgis

    Giorgis, Jul 7, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "Giorgis" <> wrote:

    > Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
    > film,
    > on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
    > documents and save them as PDF files.
    >
    > Regards
    > Giorgis

    PDF's can be created from a number of programs, Photo Shop for
    one, Acrobat is better especially if you want multiple files to be in
    sequence.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    Gregory Blank, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Giorgis

    Herb Kauhry Guest

    Most any Epson. Their included software can save as PDF (their SmartPanel
    app).

    Herb Kauhry, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Gregory Blank wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Giorgis" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
    >>film,
    >>on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
    >>documents and save them as PDF files.
    >>

    > PDF's can be created from a number of programs, Photo Shop for
    > one, Acrobat is better especially if you want multiple files to be in
    > sequence.

    This really begs the question- why PDF's??

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Giorgis

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Herb Kauhry" <> wrote in message
    > Most any Epson. Their included software can save as PDF (their SmartPanel
    > app).
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Giorgis" <> wrote in message
    >> Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
    >> film,
    >> on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
    >> documents and save them as PDF files.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Giorgis

    Also higher end visioneer with latest scansoft software and certain Xeorox,
    possibly HP.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 8, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > This really begs the question- why PDF's??

    Because most computers can open a PDF, certainly 99%
    of the graphics people have Acrobat, which btw allows the creator to
    encrypt the file so only some aspects are allowed. Like you can read it
    or open it but not print from it. It hopefully deters some thieving .

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    Gregory Blank, Jul 8, 2005
  7. John McWilliams wrote:
    > Gregory Blank wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Giorgis" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
    >>> film,
    >>> on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
    >>> documents and save them as PDF files.
    >>>

    >> PDF's can be created from a number of programs, Photo Shop for one,
    >> Acrobat is better especially if you want multiple files to be in
    >> sequence.
    >>

    > This really begs the question- why PDF's??

    Since Mr. Giorgis may have left the building, and anyone venture as to
    why one would want to capture to PDF format?

    john mcw.

    John McWilliams, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Giorgis

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Giorgis <> wrote:
    >Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
    >film,
    >on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
    >documents and save them as PDF files.

    If you want to scan, OCR the text, and save the result as a searchable
    PDF then Acrobat is something you should look at. It'll work with a
    lot of different scanners.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jul 9, 2005
  9. On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:20:05 GMT, Gregory Blank, <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >

    > > This really begs the question- why PDF's??

    > Because most computers can open a PDF, certainly 99%
    > of the graphics people have Acrobat, which btw allows the creator to
    > encrypt the file so only some aspects are allowed. Like you can read it
    > or open it but not print from it. It hopefully deters some thieving .

    It no more stops thieving than Adobe's weak "encryption" stopped
    "thieving" of their e-books. The main reason for even a half-assed
    "security mechanism" is that breaking it brings down the wrath of the
    DMCA (circumventing security, etc). A "no trespassing" sign doesn't
    physically prevent trespassing, but it helps in a legal case against a
    trespasser. The weak level of encryption will work against the typical
    point-n-drool user who has trouble finding the "any" key, but not
    aginst anybody competent. General rule of thumb... if someone can
    display a file on their computer, they can do whatever they please with
    it.

    --
    Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
    Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Jul 10, 2005
  10. In article <42d0d632$0$7895$>,
    "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
    <> wrote:

    > It no more stops thieving than Adobe's weak "encryption" stopped
    > "thieving" of their e-books. The main reason for even a half-assed
    > "security mechanism" is that breaking it brings down the wrath of the
    > DMCA (circumventing security, etc). A "no trespassing" sign doesn't
    > physically prevent trespassing, but it helps in a legal case against a
    > trespasser. The weak level of encryption will work against the typical
    > point-n-drool user who has trouble finding the "any" key, but not
    > aginst anybody competent. General rule of thumb... if someone can
    > display a file on their computer, they can do whatever they please with
    > it.

    Even if it looks like crap, from the low resolution.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    Gregory Blank, Jul 10, 2005
  11. On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:10:52 GMT, Gregory Blank, <greg@greg_____photo.com> wrote:
    > In article <42d0d632$0$7895$>,
    > "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > General rule of thumb... if someone can display a file on their
    > > computer, they can do whatever they please with it.

    > Even if it looks like crap, from the low resolution.

    Screen captures are not the only way. It has to pass through memory
    to be displayed. Nothing short of SSSCA (and outlawing everything else)
    can prevent it.

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Jul 11, 2005