scanner recomendation for slides

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nedley, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. nedley

    nedley Guest

    I have a couple thousand slides I want to scan.
    Once I am done, I will not need to ever scan slides again.

    Once I start looking at these slides, I expect I'll decide many of them are
    not worth scanning.

    What I plan to do is, buy a slide scanner on E-Bay (possibly a Minolta
    Dimage), scan my slides, and them sell the scanner on E-Bay.
    Hopefully with this plan, I can uses a pretty good scanner at minimal costs.

    The computer I'm connecting this to is a new laptop.
    I've noticed that many of the used slide scanners use a scsi interface that
    will be a hassle to deal with on the laptop.

    I'd prefer a USB 2 connection, but if one had a firewire (1394) I supposed I
    could pick up a PCMCIA firewire card pretty easily.
    (I've actually got an old Adaptec PCMCIA scsi card, but I don't want to deal
    with drivers for that ancient card)

    I'm looking for suggestions on specific models and what they should cost on
    E-Bay.
    I'd prefer to spend between $100-250 for the scanner.

    Any advice would be appreciated.
    regards
    ned

    p.s. sorry for crossposting, I posted this same message on
    alt.comp.periphs.scanners (where it really belongs) but this is a much more
    active group.
    nedley, Nov 12, 2004

  2. nedley

    Tom Ellliott Guest

    Ned,
    Check here: http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
    I know this route is not recommended, however it is cheap - $25 - and worked
    very well.
    I now have a Microtek 5900 with built in "Offical" transparency 4x5 size.
    Works a little better than my original solution. If I need scans for
    reproduction - brochures etc then I go to a service bureau and get a PRO
    Photo CD scan which are great and cheap and the client pays for the scan.
    Have fun,
    Tom

    Tom Ellliott, Nov 12, 2004

  3. nedley

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "nedley" <> wrote in message news:965ld.24465$V41.19752@attbi_s52...
    > I have a couple thousand slides I want to scan.

    There are scanners, I don't know which ones, that have hoppers.
    You put a stack of slides in the hopper and it scans them, one after
    another, without human intervention.

    > Once I am done, I will not need to ever scan slides again.

    There are service bureaus that will scan them for you, but the
    price might be higher than you want to pay. Many years ago I
    worked for a company that would do this for prices ranging from
    50 cents to $10 per slide. 50 cents for an automated scan, $10
    for one that is reviewed and color balanced individually by a
    graphics artist.

    I would think that, even though labor costs are higher, the scanning
    equipment is better and cheaper today, and the output media are
    certainly dramatically cheaper than the mag tapes and digital video
    discs we were using in the early 1980's.

    > What I plan to do is, buy a slide scanner on E-Bay (possibly a Minolta
    > Dimage), scan my slides, and them sell the scanner on E-Bay.
    > Hopefully with this plan, I can uses a pretty good scanner at minimal costs.

    Sounds like a reasonable plan - though the hassle factor could be
    a bit high.

    > The computer I'm connecting this to is a new laptop.
    > I've noticed that many of the used slide scanners use a scsi interface that
    > will be a hassle to deal with on the laptop.

    USB 2.0 is probably more than fast enough.

    Have you got a son or daughter of the right age? What a perfect
    project for them. Pay them 10 cents per slide to do your 2000
    slides with the requirement that they have to do over any that they
    don't do right. They get to make some good money and you keep
    it all in the family.

    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    Well, I didn't give you advice on what scanner to get, but you did
    say that "any" advice would be appreciated :)

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Nov 12, 2004
  4. In article <965ld.24465$V41.19752@attbi_s52>, says...
    > I have a couple thousand slides I want to scan.
    > Once I am done, I will not need to ever scan slides again.
    >
    > Once I start looking at these slides, I expect I'll decide many of them are
    > not worth scanning.

    One of the questions I always ask when someone plans to scan in a large
    number of slides is why?
    Are you planning to archive them and dispose of the originals, or
    are you planning to make prints from them, or do you have some sort
    of online project in hand?
    Scanning slide is very labor intensive, if you don't use a top
    quality scanner (4000dpi or greater) you will be limited in the
    degree of enlargement you can later produce. In addition the storage
    medium you choose for your archive may not be reliable in the long
    term. Are you going to put them on CDROM or DVD. A few years ago
    Syquest was all the rage and now they are obsolete.

    So, in general, if you don't have an immediate need for the digitized
    images, I suggest storing your present slide under optimum conditions
    of low heat and humidity in the dark. Then when you do need a copy
    of a specific image you can digitize it at that time.

    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com
    Robert Feinman, Nov 13, 2004
  5. nedley

    nedley Guest

    All good questions.

    The reason I am scanning them is because I was asked to by a family member.
    Most of these slides are travel slides taken by my grandfather in the
    1940-50's.
    I'm sure most will be junk, but there may be a few gems in there.

    What I'm thinking of is, picking up a DIMAGE SCAN DUAL IV for about $250 and
    scanning 4 at a time at medium resolution.
    I'll use a laptop and set it up in the living room so I can pump 4 more
    through during commercials as I watch tv.

    That should make it a pretty painless process (I hope). Then I can look at
    them quickly on the laptop later and decide which ones are worth scanning at
    hi-res and tweaking with Photoshop or some other tools.

    Finally it looks like I can get 230-ish for the scanner on E-Bay and end up
    not paying very much at all for the scans (except the hassle).
    The reason to do this now is, I've been asked to, and the slides are pretty
    old and not getting any better.

    I'll probably burn the best to a cd or dvd. I'm aware of issues with media
    formats changing. I've got lots of files that I've maintained through
    floppy-zip-jazz-cdr and now dvd. In a year or two I'll be copying most of
    my dvd's to dual layer blue laser dvd's I image.

    ned

    nedley, Nov 13, 2004
  6. nedley

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <aUwld.29117$V41.18056@attbi_s52>, says...
    > The reason I am scanning them is because I was asked to by a family member.
    > Most of these slides are travel slides taken by my grandfather in the
    > 1940-50's.
    > I'm sure most will be junk, but there may be a few gems in there.
    >
    > What I'm thinking of is, picking up a DIMAGE SCAN DUAL IV for about $250 and
    > scanning 4 at a time at medium resolution.
    > I'll use a laptop and set it up in the living room so I can pump 4 more
    > through during commercials as I watch tv.
    >
    > That should make it a pretty painless process (I hope). Then I can look at
    > them quickly on the laptop later and decide which ones are worth scanning at
    > hi-res and tweaking with Photoshop or some other tools.

    you will dislike your grandfather and the family member who suggested
    this project by the time you have finished!

    I often find scanning my own images to be a PITA, family images more so.

    but if you are strongly motivated you will be fine and you will end up
    with a useful scanner and skills.
    Bruce Graham, Nov 14, 2004
  7. nedley

    kpfeif Guest

    "nedley" <> wrote in message news:<965ld.24465$V41.19752@attbi_s52>...
    > I have a couple thousand slides I want to scan.
    > Once I am done, I will not need to ever scan slides again.
    >
    > Once I start looking at these slides, I expect I'll decide many of them are
    > not worth scanning.
    >
    > What I plan to do is, buy a slide scanner on E-Bay (possibly a Minolta
    > Dimage), scan my slides, and them sell the scanner on E-Bay.
    > Hopefully with this plan, I can uses a pretty good scanner at minimal costs.
    >
    > The computer I'm connecting this to is a new laptop.
    > I've noticed that many of the used slide scanners use a scsi interface that
    > will be a hassle to deal with on the laptop.
    >
    > I'd prefer a USB 2 connection, but if one had a firewire (1394) I supposed I
    > could pick up a PCMCIA firewire card pretty easily.
    > (I've actually got an old Adaptec PCMCIA scsi card, but I don't want to deal
    > with drivers for that ancient card)
    >
    > I'm looking for suggestions on specific models and what they should cost on
    > E-Bay.
    > I'd prefer to spend between $100-250 for the scanner.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    > regards
    > ned
    >
    > p.s. sorry for crossposting, I posted this same message on
    > alt.comp.periphs.scanners (where it really belongs) but this is a much more
    > active group.

    I'm finishing my year-long slide scanning project in the next month.
    I had approx 4,000 slides to scan belonging to my grandfather and my
    father. I used the Nikon LS-4000 with the SF-200(s) batch slide
    feeder attached. I used Hamrick Software's Vuescan to move things a
    long.

    The Ls-4000 has been replaced by the LS-5000, which I believe have
    USB2 (the Ls-4000 is a firewire scanner). Things went well except for
    the very old Kodachromes - they were just too bent up for the slide
    feeder. I did come up with a workaround, but it took twice as long.
    Nonetheless, I'm pleased with the results. The LS-5000 scanner wih
    the SF-210 slide feeder may be a good option.

    I'm planning on selling both the scanner and the feeder in a month or
    so, and I expect I'll do OK on ebay. I would expect you'd have the
    same luck with the LS-5000.

    Kris
    kpfeif, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Hi Ned,

    Buying a cheap scanner may not be the way to go - you'll probably be
    disappointed by the results and it will be a hugely time-consuming
    process. I would be happy to quote on scanning your collection. You
    can view our standard pricing at http://www.pixstudio.co.uk, or send
    me an email to and we can talk about bulk
    discounts.

    Look forward to hearing from you,

    Chris

    Chris Todhunter, Nov 17, 2004