    windows print manager but then closes it, this all takes place on a win98se
    computer, it's a very frustrating and baffling problem so any help would be
    greatly appreciated, thanks.

    trigon, May 5, 2006

  2. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:445aa150$...
    > I have this weird problem where an image from my scanner will save fine as

    > jpeg and i can then view it but it won't print, if I am using the acdsee
    > program it says decoding the image then error printing bitmap comes up
    > saying the system cannot find the specified, another program launches the
    > windows print manager but then closes it, this all takes place on a

    win98se
    > computer, it's a very frustrating and baffling problem so any help would

    be
    > greatly appreciated, thanks.

    I am using an HP laserjet III printer.

    trigon, May 5, 2006

  3. trigon

    -=rjh=- Guest

    trigon wrote:
    > "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:445aa150$...
    >> I have this weird problem where an image from my scanner will save fine as

    >> jpeg and i can then view it but it won't print, if I am using the acdsee
    >> program it says decoding the image then error printing bitmap comes up
    >> saying the system cannot find the specified, another program launches the
    >> windows print manager but then closes it, this all takes place on a

    > win98se
    >> computer, it's a very frustrating and baffling problem so any help would

    > be
    >> greatly appreciated, thanks.
    >>

    > I am using an HP laserjet III printer.

    Have you *ever* been able to print acceptable graphics on that printer?

    What resolution are you trying to print at, and how much memory does
    your printer have?

    -=rjh=-, May 5, 2006
  4. trigon

    trigon Guest

    > >> I have this weird problem where an image from my scanner will save fine

    as
    > >> jpeg and i can then view it but it won't print, if I am using the

    acdsee
    > >> program it says decoding the image then error printing bitmap comes up
    > >> saying the system cannot find the specified, another program launches

    the
    > >> windows print manager but then closes it, this all takes place on a

    > > win98se
    > >> computer, it's a very frustrating and baffling problem so any help

    would
    > > be
    > >> greatly appreciated, thanks.
    > >>

    > > I am using an HP laserjet III printer.
    > >

    > Have you *ever* been able to print acceptable graphics on that printer?
    >
    > What resolution are you trying to print at, and how much memory does
    > your printer have?

    Yes and trying to print at 300dpi.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  5. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:445ab011$...

    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > > trigon wrote:
    > > > "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message

    fine
    > as

    > acdsee

    up

    > the
    > > > win98se

    > would
    > > > be
    > > >>

    > > > I am using an HP laserjet III printer.
    > > >

    > > Have you *ever* been able to print acceptable graphics on that printer?
    > >
    > > What resolution are you trying to print at, and how much memory does
    > > your printer have?

    > Yes and trying to print at 300dpi.

    The printer has 5MB of memory, but I have no problem printing non-scanner
    aquired images so I don't think memory is the problem.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  6. trigon

    EMB Guest

    trigon wrote:

    >>Have you *ever* been able to print acceptable graphics on that printer?
    >>
    >>What resolution are you trying to print at, and how much memory does
    >>your printer have?

    > Yes and trying to print at 300dpi.

    But what sized image file? An LJIII hasn't got a lot of internal memory
    (only 1MB standard) and will barf on anything other than a small
    bitmapped image.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, May 5, 2006
  7. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > trigon wrote:
    >

    > >>Have you *ever* been able to print acceptable graphics on that printer?
    > >>
    > >>What resolution are you trying to print at, and how much memory does
    > >>your printer have?

    > > Yes and trying to print at 300dpi.

    > But what sized image file? An LJIII hasn't got a lot of internal memory
    > (only 1MB standard) and will barf on anything other than a small
    > bitmapped image.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    It is 8MB but I tried a smaller copy of 2MB, no different result and the
    thing is that the problem seems to occur in acdsee before the printer is
    even communicated.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  8. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > trigon wrote:
    >

    > >>Have you *ever* been able to print acceptable graphics on that printer?
    > >>
    > >>What resolution are you trying to print at, and how much memory does
    > >>your printer have?

    > > Yes and trying to print at 300dpi.

    > But what sized image file? An LJIII hasn't got a lot of internal memory
    > (only 1MB standard) and will barf on anything other than a small
    > bitmapped image.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    Printed a 300dpi 6MB tif image no problem, the problem seems to be confined
    to jpeg.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  9. trigon

    David Guest

    On Fri, 5 May 2006 14:27:45 +1200, trigon wrote:

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes and trying to print at 300dpi.

    >> But what sized image file? An LJIII hasn't got a lot of internal memory
    >> (only 1MB standard) and will barf on anything other than a small
    >> bitmapped image.
    >>
    >> --
    >> EMB

    > Printed a 300dpi 6MB tif image no problem, the problem seems to be confined
    > to jpeg.

    Probably because your 8 (or 2) MB scanned image has to be expanded to an
    uncompressed image before printing; ie. the 8MB compressed jpeg may
    actually 10 (or more ?) times the compressed size (depending on what level
    of compression was applied in generating the jpeg).

    Time to retire the printer?

    David

    David, May 5, 2006
  10. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 5 May 2006 14:27:45 +1200, trigon wrote:
    >
    > > "EMB" <> wrote in message

    printer?

    > >> But what sized image file? An LJIII hasn't got a lot of internal

    memory
    > >> (only 1MB standard) and will barf on anything other than a small
    > >> bitmapped image.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> EMB

    > > Printed a 300dpi 6MB tif image no problem, the problem seems to be

    confined
    > > to jpeg.

    > Probably because your 8 (or 2) MB scanned image has to be expanded to an
    > uncompressed image before printing; ie. the 8MB compressed jpeg may
    > actually 10 (or more ?) times the compressed size (depending on what level
    > of compression was applied in generating the jpeg).
    >
    > Time to retire the printer?
    >
    > David

    I see no indication that memory or the size of the file has anything to do
    with it, it seems like some people are just too keen to blame old hardware
    for the problem with no basis for it other than it's old hardware. I don't
    see how the error message "system cannot find specified file" has anything
    to do with my printer.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  11. trigon

    -=rjh=- Guest

    trigon wrote:
    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 5 May 2006 14:27:45 +1200, trigon wrote:
    >>
    >>> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    > printer?

    > memory

    >>> Printed a 300dpi 6MB tif image no problem, the problem seems to be

    > confined
    >>> to jpeg.

    >> Probably because your 8 (or 2) MB scanned image has to be expanded to an
    >> uncompressed image before printing; ie. the 8MB compressed jpeg may
    >> actually 10 (or more ?) times the compressed size (depending on what level
    >> of compression was applied in generating the jpeg).
    >>
    >> Time to retire the printer?
    >>
    >> David

    > I see no indication that memory or the size of the file has anything to do
    > with it, it seems like some people are just too keen to blame old hardware
    > for the problem with no basis for it other than it's old hardware.

    I don't think that people *are* blaming the printer because it is old
    hardware, merely pointing out the limitations of early laser printers.
    That printer was new at a time when it would have been used in a small
    office situation, printing mainly Word Perfect documents with few (if
    any) graphics; the questions about memory and resolution are completely
    justified. Early laser printers are a vastly different beast to modern
    inkjet printers, but sometimes people aren't aware of the differences
    yet have the same expectations of both.

    I don't
    > see how the error message "system cannot find specified file" has anything
    > to do with my printer.

    Heh, you never said that. Any other information about the problem?

    -=rjh=-, May 5, 2006
  12. trigon

    trigon Guest

    > I don't
    > > see how the error message "system cannot find specified file" has

    anything
    > > to do with my printer.
    > >

    > Heh, you never said that. Any other information about the problem?

    Yes I did say that although I accidentally left the word file out in my
    initial post.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  13. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > trigon wrote:
    > > I see no indication that memory or the size of the file has anything to

    do
    > > with it, it seems like some people are just too keen to blame old

    hardware
    > > for the problem with no basis for it other than it's old hardware.

    > I don't think that people *are* blaming the printer because it is old
    > hardware, merely pointing out the limitations of early laser printers.
    > That printer was new at a time when it would have been used in a small
    > office situation, printing mainly Word Perfect documents with few (if
    > any) graphics; the questions about memory and resolution are completely
    > justified. Early laser printers are a vastly different beast to modern
    > inkjet printers, but sometimes people aren't aware of the differences
    > yet have the same expectations of both.

    Thanks but I did realise that that is what they meant, I still think it is
    an awfully big assumption to assume it is a printer limitation. All I can
    say is that I have never had any problem with any other image file, only the
    ones saved from the scanner in jpeg, I have printed photo's from a 3.2
    megapixel camera etc... with no problems and yes the quality was poor due to
    the low resolution of the printer but for my purposes it did not matter.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  14. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:445acdb3$...

    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > > trigon wrote:
    > > > I see no indication that memory or the size of the file has anything

    > do
    > > > with it, it seems like some people are just too keen to blame old

    > hardware
    > > > for the problem with no basis for it other than it's old hardware.

    > > I don't think that people *are* blaming the printer because it is old
    > > hardware, merely pointing out the limitations of early laser printers.
    > > That printer was new at a time when it would have been used in a small
    > > office situation, printing mainly Word Perfect documents with few (if
    > > any) graphics; the questions about memory and resolution are completely
    > > justified. Early laser printers are a vastly different beast to modern
    > > inkjet printers, but sometimes people aren't aware of the differences
    > > yet have the same expectations of both.
    > >

    > Thanks but I did realise that that is what they meant, I still think it is
    > an awfully big assumption to assume it is a printer limitation. All I can
    > say is that I have never had any problem with any other image file, only

    the
    > ones saved from the scanner in jpeg, I have printed photo's from a 3.2
    > megapixel camera etc... with no problems and yes the quality was poor due

    > the low resolution of the printer but for my purposes it did not matter.

    Like I said this is a weird problem and is probably going to take someone
    very knowledgeable to solve it, I don't think it is a simple matter of a
    printer problem or limitation although I welcome been corrected on that.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  15. On Fri, 5 May 2006 15:37:15 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:

    >I see no indication that memory or the size of the file has anything to do
    >with it, it seems like some people are just too keen to blame old hardware
    >for the problem with no basis for it other than it's old hardware. I don't
    >see how the error message "system cannot find specified file" has anything
    >to do with my printer.

    Indeed. If it was a lack of memory in the LJIII it would go offline
    and the LCD display would indicate error code 20.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm

    Malcolm Moore, May 5, 2006
  16. trigon

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in news:445aa150$:

    > I have this weird problem where an image from my scanner will save
    > fine as a jpeg and i can then view it but it won't print, if I am
    > using the acdsee program it says decoding the image then error
    > printing bitmap comes up saying the system cannot find the specified,
    > another program launches the windows print manager but then closes it,
    > this all takes place on a win98se computer, it's a very frustrating
    > and baffling problem so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

    irfanview.com
    It is a free image viewer, maybe yours is broken?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 5, 2006
  17. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in news:445aa150$:
    >
    > > I have this weird problem where an image from my scanner will save
    > > fine as a jpeg and i can then view it but it won't print, if I am
    > > using the acdsee program it says decoding the image then error
    > > printing bitmap comes up saying the system cannot find the specified,
    > > another program launches the windows print manager but then closes it,
    > > this all takes place on a win98se computer, it's a very frustrating
    > > and baffling problem so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    > >

    > irfanview.com
    > It is a free image viewer, maybe yours is broken?
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Thanks but that was the other program i was referring to.

    trigon, May 5, 2006
  18. trigon

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in news::

    >> irfanview.com
    >> It is a free image viewer, maybe yours is broken?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ciao, Dave

    > Thanks but that was the other program i was referring to.

    So you can view it ok?

    Try this tool, remove your printer and all orphans and .inf's and then
    reinstall your printer driver. Also look for updated video card drivers.

    http://amistad.kyocera.co.uk/pages/info/kdl/utilities.asp?
    Mode=Query&Type=Driver%20Deleter%20Utility

    or:
    http://tinyurl.com/czyxd

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 5, 2006
  19. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    trigon exclaimed:
    > ones saved from the scanner in jpeg, I have printed photo's from a 3.2
    > megapixel camera etc... with no problems and yes the quality was poor due to
    > the low resolution of the printer but for my purposes it did not matter.

    A 3.2 MP camera is still much smaller than a scan.

    a 8MB jpeg is ENORMOUS once decompressed - probably 50-100MB in memory.
    Even a 2MB jpeg will expand to 10-20MB.

    Try saving your 2MB or 8MB JPEG as a TIF and see how big it is - that
    will tell you.

    Whereas a TIF will expand by only about 2x, so a 2MB TIF will be maybe
    4MB in memory.

    Second, you ask "why would it say <particular weird error>". Maybe
    because it crashed inside some code that assumes any problem means a
    file couldn't be found. When you push the limits of programs or
    hardware, they are unlikely to fail in an obvious, explicable way.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, May 5, 2006
  20. trigon

    > "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in news::
    >
    > >> irfanview.com
    > >> It is a free image viewer, maybe yours is broken?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ciao, Dave

    > > Thanks but that was the other program i was referring to.

    > So you can view it ok?

    Yep, can view it fine.

    trigon, May 5, 2006