Scanner for large batches of Slides

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Toby, Sep 1, 2007.

  1. Toby

    Toby Guest

    Hello

    Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
    thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
    have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
    standard, not slide projectors.

    In the couse for a lecture he might use 50-60 slides to illustrate his
    talk. What he'd like to do is scan the slides he needs for his lecturte
    and show then via the projector - possibly on Powerpoint.

    His main concerns are:

    - finding a scanner that can do large batches of slides at once

    - finding a solution that means the resulting pictures do not need to be
    extensively tweaked in an editor

    Options he's considered are the Epson Perfection 4990 and the Canon
    9950F - both of which (I think) do 12 slides at a time. These cost about
    250 UKP and I doubt he'd want to spend more than that.

    Any other advice or options?

    Bear in mind that the main thing is to get a big batch scanned at once -
    quality only need to be adequate for the projector. He's not going to be
    printing enlargements.

    Thanks

    Toby

    Toby, Sep 1, 2007

  2. "Toby" <-dot-org-dot-uk> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
    > thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
    > have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
    > standard, not slide projectors.

    ....>
    > Options he's considered are the Epson Perfection 4990 and the Canon
    > 9950F - both of which (I think) do 12 slides at a time. These cost about
    > 250 UKP and I doubt he'd want to spend more than that.
    > Thanks
    > Toby

    Nikon used to offer some device which fed slides into one (or more?) of
    their scanners, and I think it was designed to allow the medical sector to
    do automated bulk scanning. I'd recommend finding the type number, and then
    ebay? All scanning software, I think, can be set to a low res. mode.

    I have an Epson 4870 scanner which does a batch at a time - and it's slow to
    load, and fiddly.

    (It would certainly be cheaper for your friend to buy and carry around his
    own projector, if much less convenient. Kodak SAVs now go for ~£120.)
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Sep 1, 2007

  3. Toby

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:21:11 +0000, Toby wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
    > thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
    > have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
    > standard, not slide projectors.
    >
    > In the couse for a lecture he might use 50-60 slides to illustrate his
    > talk. What he'd like to do is scan the slides he needs for his lecturte
    > and show then via the projector - possibly on Powerpoint.
    >
    > His main concerns are:
    >
    > - finding a scanner that can do large batches of slides at once
    >
    > - finding a solution that means the resulting pictures do not need to be
    > extensively tweaked in an editor
    >
    > Options he's considered are the Epson Perfection 4990 and the Canon
    > 9950F - both of which (I think) do 12 slides at a time. These cost about
    > 250 UKP and I doubt he'd want to spend more than that.
    >
    > Any other advice or options?
    >
    > Bear in mind that the main thing is to get a big batch scanned at once -
    > quality only need to be adequate for the projector. He's not going to be
    > printing enlargements.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Toby

    Thousands of slides are going to take months of time to scan. If he can
    afford it, a professional service would be a lot less nerve racking - it's
    just going to take a LONG time to do it himself.

    ray, Sep 1, 2007
  4. Toby

    Guest Guest

    In article <Xns999E4ACA621F2tobyapairyorguk@80.5.182.99>,
    ry-dot-org-dot-uk says...
    > Hello
    >
    > Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
    > thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
    > have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
    > standard, not slide projectors.
    >
    > In the couse for a lecture he might use 50-60 slides to illustrate his
    > talk. What he'd like to do is scan the slides he needs for his lecturte
    > and show then via the projector - possibly on Powerpoint.
    >
    > His main concerns are:
    >
    > - finding a scanner that can do large batches of slides at once
    >
    > - finding a solution that means the resulting pictures do not need to be
    > extensively tweaked in an editor

    If his slides are already in magazines, he might want to look at the
    Braun Multimag scanner -- it's specifically designed for this sort of
    application, the scanner is built like a slide projector, it takes your
    existing slide trays and loads the slides one at a time from them to
    scan.

    http://tinyurl.com/25ugcd

    It's more expensive than you said he's looking at, but I would think the
    labor savings would more than make up for the higher price.

    He could also look at re-selling the used scanner on e-Bay once he's
    done with it, the way many scanners sell there, he might get back all he
    paid for it.

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

    Guest, Sep 2, 2007
  5. For me, the ultimate choice was the Pacific Digital 3650. It's identical to
    the Braun at half the price. http://www.scanace.com/en/product/ps3650ice.php
    B&H is a good source for this. I also bought Braun 100 slide carrousels from
    them special order.

    Bye.

    "Toby" <-dot-org-dot-uk> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
    > thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
    > have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
    > standard, not slide projectors.

    [.....]

    David Sommers, Sep 2, 2007
  6. Toby

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:21:11 GMT, Toby
    <-dot-org-dot-uk> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >Hope this is the right place to ask this question. A friend of mine has
    >thousands of 35mm colour slides which he uses in giving lectures. Things
    >have moved on and most places he talks at have PCs and projectors as
    >standard, not slide projectors.
    >
    >In the couse for a lecture he might use 50-60 slides to illustrate his
    >talk. What he'd like to do is scan the slides he needs for his lecturte
    >and show then via the projector - possibly on Powerpoint.
    >
    >His main concerns are:
    >
    >- finding a scanner that can do large batches of slides at once
    >
    >- finding a solution that means the resulting pictures do not need to be
    >extensively tweaked in an editor
    >
    >Options he's considered are the Epson Perfection 4990 and the Canon
    >9950F - both of which (I think) do 12 slides at a time. These cost about
    >250 UKP and I doubt he'd want to spend more than that.

    I think there are better choices than these. Josh and David have
    brought up two excellent choices. As I do slides, film strips, and
    negatives I went with the Nikon LS5000 with an auto slide feeder. I
    believe that feeder was also mentioned. For bulk feeding I'd
    definitely go with Josh or David's suggestions. The Nikon SF 200 and
    210 work with good slides, but they will hang with older paper slides
    that are warped or have belled edges. Some plastic mounts require
    being positioned properly regardless of the image orientation, which
    is easily done.

    The two scanners suggested would allow loading between one and two
    hours worth of work that would not require constant attention. My
    SF210 seems to wait for me to turn my back before jamming.

    >Any other advice or options?
    >
    >Bear in mind that the main thing is to get a big batch scanned at once -
    >quality only need to be adequate for the projector. He's not going to be
    >printing enlargements.

    It depends, but I always figured for an image large enough to look
    good for a reasonable size audience the image needed to be pretty good
    quality, after all these are slides, not a power point presentation.

    Roger

    Roger (K8RI), Sep 3, 2007
  7. Toby

    Toby Guest

    Toby <-dot-org-dot-uk> wrote in

    > Hello
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Bear in mind that the main thing is to get a big batch scanned at once -
    > quality only need to be adequate for the projector. He's not going to be
    > printing enlargements.

    Thanks to everyone who replied. Some options to consider there. Have
    managed to find someone who can lend him a Nikon slide scanner
    (unfortunately without the adapter for large batches) so will give that a
    go before any money is spent.

    Toby

    Toby, Sep 8, 2007