Scanner for 11 x 14 pages to archive - photo and text? And resolution?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nwaiterh, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. nwaiterh

    nwaiterh Guest

    I am wondering if anyone here has advice on a scanner that can handle
    11.5x14.5ish sized pages? I would like to be able to scan in full pages
    from a *very* old family album to maintain the original feel. I spend
    alot (too much) time on the computer, but haven't ventured into AV
    stuff yet.

    I hate to turn over this album to someone else, and am planning to
    tackle the project on my own. The pages consist of both pictures and
    text (even some fabric patches). I would also be using this scanner for
    smaller photo albums (ie 8x11). I would be doing on the order of 100
    pages to start.

    I have started to look at wide large format scanners, but haven't been
    able to find many reviews aside from some of the Espons (Expression
    10000XL and GT-15000). Any thoughts on these or others?

    I am assuming, based on all the group posts I have read (and I have
    been reading quite a bit for days and days), that I should be saving
    all scanned pages at 600 (maybe even 1200) into TIF format, depending
    on size and future enlargement plans. Does this change if I will be
    scanning old newspaper also?

    And should I certainly use 48-bit?

    Step one for me is just scanning, which I hope to take of relatively
    quickly, then return to do color correcting/cropping/etc (but saving
    the original scan).
    If this is just plain foolish and if you would just say "take it to
    some local scanning shop in San Francisco", please do let me know!

    Thanks-

    nwaiterh, Dec 28, 2005

  2. nwaiterh

    John Mares Guest

    Consider using a document camera setup.

    John Mares

    John Mares, Dec 28, 2005

  3. nwaiterh

    Frank ess Guest

    John Mares wrote:
    > Consider using a document camera setup.
    >
    > John Mares

    Seconded:

    I photographed and scanned a large scrapbook loaned me for that
    purpose. The photographs were made under a sunlit 'gazebo' canopy,
    good diffuse lighting, with a Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro on a Canon
    20D.This is what they looked like, which may give an idea of the kind
    of material you'd have to work with:

    http://www.fototime.com/B8E0312AE3ED126/orig.jpg page
    http://www.fototime.com/C0B9229884CE8D1/orig.jpg view 2
    http://www.fototime.com/E495648CEF5C04D/orig.jpg crop

    The scans required dismantling the scrapbook, and in cases where items
    used more than the 8 1/2 by 11-inch dimensions of the Epson 4870
    scanner bed, multiple scans and stitchings.

    For my purposes (making the content available and legible in digital
    form), the photography method was easier, faster, and equally
    effective. Comparing the outcomes, I would not again use up the extra
    time and energy that scanning required.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Dec 28, 2005
  4. nwaiterh

    Marvin Guest

    nwaiterh wrote:
    > I am wondering if anyone here has advice on a scanner that can handle
    > 11.5x14.5ish sized pages? I would like to be able to scan in full pages
    > from a *very* old family album to maintain the original feel. I spend
    > alot (too much) time on the computer, but haven't ventured into AV
    > stuff yet.
    >
    > I hate to turn over this album to someone else, and am planning to
    > tackle the project on my own. The pages consist of both pictures and
    > text (even some fabric patches). I would also be using this scanner for
    > smaller photo albums (ie 8x11). I would be doing on the order of 100
    > pages to start.
    >
    > I have started to look at wide large format scanners, but haven't been
    > able to find many reviews aside from some of the Espons (Expression
    > 10000XL and GT-15000). Any thoughts on these or others?
    >
    > I am assuming, based on all the group posts I have read (and I have
    > been reading quite a bit for days and days), that I should be saving
    > all scanned pages at 600 (maybe even 1200) into TIF format, depending
    > on size and future enlargement plans. Does this change if I will be
    > scanning old newspaper also?

    There is no gain in preservoing the information of photo prints if you scan at more htan
    250 or 300 pp1. If you scan at a higher pixel count, you'll just pick uop dust particles
    and other blemishes. And I don't think you'll lose image quality noticably if oyu save in
    ..jpg format at moderate ocmpression.

    > And should I certainly use 48-bit?

    No. 8 bits per color is more than enough to cover the full range of color depth that can
    be in a photo print. I'm assuming the old prints are B/W (really, gray scale), so you
    might as well scan in gray scale, which will keep the file sizes smaller.

    > Step one for me is just scanning, which I hope to take of relatively
    > quickly, then return to do color correcting/cropping/etc (but saving
    > the original scan).

    Yes, always save the orginal scan. Treat it as if it were a negative, that you can't
    replace.
    > If this is just plain foolish and if you would just say "take it to
    > some local scanning shop in San Francisco", please do let me know!

    It depends on how much your time is worth. And there have been numerous complaints on
    this NG about the poor quality of scans from a local camera shop. That doesn't mean that
    they all do bad work, but you should try one out on a few prints before you entrust the
    rest of the job to them.

    Marvin, Dec 28, 2005
  5. nwaiterh

    nwaiterh Guest

    Thanks for the comments all-

    One note about the scanner v camera. If you were starting from scratch
    and didn't have the camera setup, would you still go with that choice?
    It seems like a larger format scanner (albeit a bit pricey, though I
    would likely turn around and sell it in the end) would be a good way to
    go. And one good (?!) thing about the old albums is that they have
    deteriorated to the point where I don't have to take them apart - the
    pages are all sitting separately already. So it seems like a scanner
    would take far less time, but maybe I'm just not considering the time
    it takes to do each scan?

    nwaiterh, Dec 28, 2005
  6. nwaiterh

    Frank ess Guest

    nwaiterh wrote:
    > Thanks for the comments all-
    >
    > One note about the scanner v camera. If you were starting from
    > scratch
    > and didn't have the camera setup, would you still go with that
    > choice?
    > It seems like a larger format scanner (albeit a bit pricey, though I
    > would likely turn around and sell it in the end) would be a good way
    > to go. And one good (?!) thing about the old albums is that they
    > have
    > deteriorated to the point where I don't have to take them apart -
    > the
    > pages are all sitting separately already. So it seems like a scanner
    > would take far less time, but maybe I'm just not considering the
    > time
    > it takes to do each scan?

    A scanner has the advantage of requiring little setup and greater ease
    of establishing a routine for swapping from page to page for
    near-perfect results. A camera setup will take a little more
    adjustment to realize the potential for near-perfection. In either
    case, you're likely to spend some time on post processing.

    The difference is in the length of time between imaging start and
    next-imaging start. The scanner takes quite a while to scan and
    process, the camera less than a second for exposure while its
    processing is deferred until transfer to the PC.

    My experience:

    Camera work takes a few minutes, a couple more to transfer the images,
    and I'm ready to sit back, relax, and post-process.

    Scanner takes lots of time (depending on choice of definition and
    content), hovering, and finger-drumming to get the images into the
    computer, before relaxing into the same post processing posture.

    When I have the option, for a considerable number of objects, the
    camera is my choice. For the odd scan, the scanner is equal or better
    for product, and it is always set up.

    Photography seems like play, scanning like work.

    Might be different for others.

    Now, about storing all those giant, hard-won image files...

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Dec 28, 2005
  7. nwaiterh

    nwaiterh Guest

    Thanks again!
    If (hypothetically of course ;) ) I decide a scanner is the way to go
    - any suggestions for a larger format one? The only home ones I see
    again and again are the Espons.

    nwaiterh, Dec 29, 2005
  8. nwaiterh

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "nwaiterh" <> wrote:

    > I am wondering if anyone here has advice on a scanner that can handle
    > 11.5x14.5ish sized pages? I would like to be able to scan in full pages
    > from a *very* old family album to maintain the original feel. I spend
    > alot (too much) time on the computer, but haven't ventured into AV
    > stuff yet.
    >
    > I hate to turn over this album to someone else, and am planning to
    > tackle the project on my own. The pages consist of both pictures and
    > text (even some fabric patches). I would also be using this scanner for
    > smaller photo albums (ie 8x11). I would be doing on the order of 100
    > pages to start.
    >
    > I have started to look at wide large format scanners, but haven't been
    > able to find many reviews aside from some of the Espons (Expression
    > 10000XL and GT-15000). Any thoughts on these or others?
    >
    > I am assuming, based on all the group posts I have read (and I have
    > been reading quite a bit for days and days), that I should be saving
    > all scanned pages at 600 (maybe even 1200) into TIF format, depending
    > on size and future enlargement plans. Does this change if I will be
    > scanning old newspaper also?
    >
    > And should I certainly use 48-bit?
    >
    > Step one for me is just scanning, which I hope to take of relatively
    > quickly, then return to do color correcting/cropping/etc (but saving
    > the original scan).
    > If this is just plain foolish and if you would just say "take it to
    > some local scanning shop in San Francisco", please do let me know!

    Buy yourself an ordinary (cheap) A4 scanner and scan in two halves.

    I recently scanned a collection of old newspaper-sized comics (TV
    Century 21) in two parts. As I was doing the same action again and
    again, workflow became very fast.

    The measure tool (under the eyedropper) in Photoshop will make sure both
    images are oriented properly.

    Scan at around 400-600dpi (300 to save time) and save as TIFF or PSD.
    Backup the raw scans to DVD.

    Scanning old newspapers can be scanned at 100-150dpi as the quality of
    newspaper printing is very low.

    IMHO those flatbeds which scan up to 4800dpi are way over the top and
    are only useful for scanning tiny objects like stamps and coins.

    Stewy, Jan 1, 2006
  9. Marvin wrote:

    > There is no gain in preservoing the information of photo prints if you
    > scan at more htan 250 or 300 pp1. If you scan at a higher pixel count,
    > you'll just pick uop dust particles and other blemishes. And I don't
    > think you'll lose image quality noticably if oyu save in .jpg format at
    > moderate ocmpression.

    I disagree. It depends on the sharpness of the print. Here is a test
    that shows you gain detail up to at least 400 ppi. The scans were done
    with a 600 ppi scanner, so above 400 ppi are limited by the scanner.
    I should redo the test with my 4800 ppi epson 4990 scanner.

    see the last section on this page:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/scandetail.html#printpixels

    >> And should I certainly use 48-bit?

    > No. 8 bits per color is more than enough to cover the full range of
    > color depth that can be in a photo print. I'm assuming the old prints
    > are B/W (really, gray scale), so you might as well scan in gray scale,
    > which will keep the file sizes smaller.

    I agree with this if you do not plan any digital editing. If you
    have some prints with subtle detail you want to coax out, then
    the highest bits/channel the scanner is capable of might help
    a little. You can always convert to 8-bit when done editing.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 2, 2006
  10. Roger -
    Is there scanning software that you would recommend?
    I am not looking for anything overly complex, but something that can
    still support dealing with old photos and newspaper articles, some that
    have become rather worn over time.
    I get a bit confused regarding whether the scanning software is what I
    should be using for the editing on the Mac (most likely instead of a
    PC), or if I should simply scan the file and then use a separate
    program for working on the tiff (like Aperture, Photoshop, etc).
    Thanks-

    stilllearning, Jan 15, 2006
  11. stilllearning wrote:
    > Roger -
    > Is there scanning software that you would recommend?
    > I am not looking for anything overly complex, but something that can
    > still support dealing with old photos and newspaper articles, some that
    > have become rather worn over time.
    > I get a bit confused regarding whether the scanning software is what I
    > should be using for the editing on the Mac (most likely instead of a
    > PC), or if I should simply scan the file and then use a separate
    > program for working on the tiff (like Aperture, Photoshop, etc).
    > Thanks-

    Personally, I don't think it matters much, if you scan at 16-bit
    and do your editing in a 16-bit (or larger) photo editor.

    If you are scanning 8-bit, then you need to make your best
    correction in the scanner software. I think a lot of
    it is personal preference with the tools you like to use.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 17, 2006
  12. nwaiterh

    creg

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    DID YOU FIND A 11X14 SCANNER SOLUTION?

    :trytofly: Hello your post for info for a 11x14 scanner was back in 2006....did you ever figure it out? I am typing this reply on January 9th, 2011.:thrasher:

    creg, Jan 9, 2011