    search' then when I browse to the location where I stored the download (a
    folder I created in 'My Documents') the O.K. boxed is greyed out so I can
    not proceed. grateful for any advice please.
    johngood ............., Jul 17, 2007

  2. johngood   .............

    ded Guest

    "johngood ............." <> wrote in message
    > Novice recently clean installed his XP. I have downloaded the software
    > from the official Canon site for the Canon scanner FB636U. But in the
    > 'device manager' it appears in 'other devices' as a big yellow question
    > mark.
    >
    > I have then gone to 'hardware update wizard' > 'include this location in
    > the search' then when I browse to the location where I stored the download
    > (a folder I created in 'My Documents') the O.K. boxed is greyed out so I
    > can not proceed. grateful for any advice please.

    It is specifically a driver that you need to install.
    And for that scanner and XP, it is listed as No 13 on this site:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0000462.asp
    ded, Jul 18, 2007

  3. johngood   .............

    SgtMinor Guest

    johngood ............. wrote:
    > Novice recently clean installed his XP. I have downloaded the software from
    > the official Canon site for the Canon scanner FB636U. But in the 'device
    > manager' it appears in 'other devices' as a big yellow question mark.
    >
    > I have then gone to 'hardware update wizard' > 'include this location in the
    > search' then when I browse to the location where I stored the download (a
    > folder I created in 'My Documents') the O.K. boxed is greyed out so I can
    > not proceed. grateful for any advice please.

    Try this: Disconnect scanner. Delete driver. Reboot. Reinstall
    driver. Connect scanner.
    SgtMinor, Jul 18, 2007
  4. johngood   .............

    Plato Guest

    johngood ............. wrote:

    > Novice recently clean installed his XP. I have downloaded the software from
    > the official Canon site for the Canon scanner FB636U. But in the 'device
    > manager' it appears in 'other devices' as a big yellow question mark.
    >
    > I have then gone to 'hardware update wizard' > 'include this location in the
    > search' then when I browse to the location where I stored the download (a
    > folder I created in 'My Documents') the O.K. boxed is greyed out so I can
    > not proceed. grateful for any advice please.

    You have to pay attention to the scanner install docs. Often, they say
    to install the drivers first, then connect the scanner when it calls for
    it to get the scanner installed correctly.

    For exmaple, just installing the drivers with the scanner already
    powered up may result in a bad install of the drivers.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 19, 2007
  5. "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > johngood ............. wrote:
    >> Novice recently clean installed his XP. I have downloaded the software
    >> from the official Canon site for the Canon scanner FB636U. But in the
    >> 'device manager' it appears in 'other devices' as a big yellow question
    >> mark.
    >>
    >> I have then gone to 'hardware update wizard' > 'include this location in
    >> the search' then when I browse to the location where I stored the
    >> download (a folder I created in 'My Documents') the O.K. boxed is greyed
    >> out so I can not proceed. grateful for any advice please.

    > Try this: Disconnect scanner. Delete driver. Reboot. Reinstall driver.
    > Connect scanner.

    Thanks to all. I did this as advised above:
    Disconnect scanner. Delete driver. Reboot. Reinstall > driver. Connect
    scanner.
    and I installed both the 'scangear twain driver' and the canon toolbox(does
    not include driver [it says?] ).

    when checking on 'my computer'>manage>device manager the 'other devices'
    icon appears up with the yellow question mark again. sigh..... grateful
    for any further advice, thanks.
    johngood ............., Jul 19, 2007
  6. johngood   .............

    ded Guest

    "johngood ............." <> wrote in message

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    >> johngood ............. wrote:
    >>> Novice recently clean installed his XP. I have downloaded the software
    >>> from the official Canon site for the Canon scanner FB636U. But in the
    >>> 'device manager' it appears in 'other devices' as a big yellow question
    >>> mark.
    >>>
    >>> I have then gone to 'hardware update wizard' > 'include this location in
    >>> the search' then when I browse to the location where I stored the
    >>> download (a folder I created in 'My Documents') the O.K. boxed is greyed
    >>> out so I can not proceed. grateful for any advice please.

    >> Try this: Disconnect scanner. Delete driver. Reboot. Reinstall
    >> driver. Connect scanner.

    > Thanks to all. I did this as advised above:
    > Disconnect scanner. Delete driver. Reboot. Reinstall > driver. Connect
    > scanner.
    > and I installed both the 'scangear twain driver' and the canon
    > toolbox(does not include driver [it says?] ).
    >
    > when checking on 'my computer'>manage>device manager the 'other devices'
    > icon appears up with the yellow question mark again. sigh.....
    > grateful for any further advice, thanks.

    Start again, use 21 in the list to fully uninstall all canon software:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0000462.asp

    This is the instructions Canon supplies for installing your scanner in XP
    https://self-service.canon-europe.com/uk/pages/
    But...

    Assuming you are confident the USB connection is functioning,
    and assuming you don't have the installation disk.
    Connect the scanner to the PC, then Boot PC.
    The new hardware wizard will appear, click "Next" button
    In the dialog: "What do you want the wizard to do" -
    Select: "Search for a suitable driver for my device"
    Click "Next"
    In the ensuing dialog there maybe several options -
    Select: "Specify a location"
    Click "Next" and then browse to the folder where you saved the
    Twain driver download.
    Important: You are only installing the twain drivers via the "Found new
    hardware" wizard - do not use the wizard to install any other canon
    software.

    Complete the wizard, clicking on "Next" and "Finish" buttons"

    The Canon software that you downloaded:
    Once you have installed the twain drivers you can now install the software.
    Locate the folder where you saved the software.
    Software downloads usually create their own folder within - open it.
    (It maybe a zip file, in which case double click and it will unzip and
    create a folder - then open that).
    Scroll and locate an executable titled: "setup.exe" - double click it.
    The Canon software will now install.
    ded, Jul 19, 2007