    Any ideas here - I have 2 scanners connected via a scsi card to my pc - the
    first in the chain is a film scanner - polaroid 120 and that works ok. The
    second scanner is an old flatbed microtek scanmaker III annd that has been
    working fine until recently. It previews the images ok but suddenly freezes
    and crashes PS after starting the scan. And the 'ready light' goes out.
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers and scan software and
    also the 'repair' option re-installion of PS (cs2). I've also tried to only
    have one scanner at a time connected. I access these scanners from the
    PS>file>import menu. Is the old grey mare just dying and I should toss it
    out, or is there a software problem that can be fixed?

    --
    Thank you
    Frank
    frankg, Apr 19, 2006

  2. frankg

    philo Guest

    frankg wrote:
    > Any ideas here - I have 2 scanners connected via a scsi card to my pc - the
    > first in the chain is a film scanner - polaroid 120 and that works ok. The
    > second scanner is an old flatbed microtek scanmaker III annd that has been
    > working fine until recently. It previews the images ok but suddenly freezes
    > and crashes PS after starting the scan. And the 'ready light' goes out.
    > I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers and scan software and
    > also the 'repair' option re-installion of PS (cs2). I've also tried to only
    > have one scanner at a time connected. I access these scanners from the
    > PS>file>import menu. Is the old grey mare just dying and I should toss it
    > out, or is there a software problem that can be fixed?

    probably a hardware problem

    i'd go for a new USB scanner
    philo, Apr 19, 2006

  3. frankg

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >frankg writes ...
    >
    > I have 2 scanners connected via a scsi card to my pc ..
    > It previews the images ok but suddenly freezes
    > and crashes PS after starting the scan ...
    >I access these scanners from the PS-file-import menu.
    >Is the old grey mare just dying and I should toss it
    >out, or is there a software problem that can be fixed?

    I used to have crashes with a scanner accessed via Twain thru Photoshop
    when I had scanned a couple of large files and I assumed it was a
    memory allocation issue in that the Photoshop memory allocation wasn't
    interfacing properly with the scanner memory requirements ... once I
    stopped scanning via Photoshop and just scanned stand-alone I never had
    a similar problem and the crashes went away.

    So if you have a stand-alone app for this problem scanner you might
    give that a try. Just a guess ...

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Apr 19, 2006
  4. frankg

    Mike Russell Guest

    From: "frankg" <>
    > Any ideas here - I have 2 scanners connected via a scsi card to my pc -
    > the first in the chain is a film scanner - polaroid 120 and that works ok.
    > The second scanner is an old flatbed microtek scanmaker III annd that has
    > been working fine until recently. It previews the images ok but suddenly
    > freezes and crashes PS after starting the scan. And the 'ready light' goes
    > out.
    > I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers and scan software and
    > also the 'repair' option re-installion of PS (cs2). I've also tried to
    > only have one scanner at a time connected. I access these scanners from
    > the PS>file>import menu. Is the old grey mare just dying and I should toss
    > it out, or is there a software problem that can be fixed?

    Hi Frank,

    This could be a cable or terminator problems. Try removing the polaroid and
    using the shortest cable you have, with terminator, and see if you can use
    the microtek by itself. Then re-add the polaroid scanner and see if the
    problem appears.
    ---
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Apr 19, 2006
  5. frankg

    thanatoid Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in

    > Any ideas here - I have 2 scanners connected via a scsi
    > card to my pc - the first in the chain is a film scanner -
    > polaroid 120 and that works ok. The second scanner is an
    > old flatbed microtek scanmaker III annd that has been
    > working fine until recently. It previews the images ok but
    > suddenly freezes and crashes PS after starting the scan.
    > And the 'ready light' goes out. I've tried uninstalling and
    > reinstalling all drivers and scan software and also the
    > 'repair' option re-installion of PS (cs2). I've also tried
    > to only have one scanner at a time connected. I access
    > these scanners from the PS>file>import menu. Is the old
    > grey mare just dying and I should toss it out, or is there
    > a software problem that can be fixed?

    I will assume that PS means PhotoShop and that you are scanning
    with TWAIN from within PS.

    See "Re: OCR Program?", Oct 18, post from me where I talk a
    little about TWAIN. You may disagree with some or all I say but
    I think that if you just scan with your scanner software and
    only then go to PS, everything will be fine. I could be wrong,
    of course.

    --
    thanatoid-TipĀ® #1
    It's OK to talk with your mouth full as long as stuff doesn't
    thanatoid, Apr 19, 2006
  6. frankg

    frankg Guest

    > Any ideas here - I have 2 scanners connected via a scsi card to my pc -
    > the first in the chain is a film scanner - polaroid 120 and that works ok.
    > The second scanner is an old flatbed microtek scanmaker III annd that has
    > been working fine until recently. It previews the images ok but suddenly
    > freezes and crashes PS after starting the scan. And the 'ready light' goes
    > out.
    > I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers and scan software and
    > also the 'repair' option re-installion of PS (cs2). I've also tried to
    > only have one scanner at a time connected. I access these scanners from
    > the PS>file>import menu. Is the old grey mare just dying and I should toss
    > it out, or is there a software problem that can be fixed?
    >
    > --
    > Thank you
    > Frank

    Unfortunately, the Scanwizard app for the Scanmaker flatbed scanner isnt
    standalone, so i cant try it from outside of photoshop.
    I did try unchaining the polaroid film scanner (usually 1st in the scsi
    chain) and connecting only the troublesome Microtek flatbed with a short
    scsi cable and terminator. No luck, same problem. There is a Scantest
    utility that comes with the scanner which tests if the scanner is ok - it
    tested ok, strangely enough.
    I also suspected memory allocation problems as when the problem first
    ocurred, we were able to scan some handwritten pages as line art, but when
    we wanted to scan a col print, it failed. How oes one fix memory addressing
    problems ?
    frankg, Apr 20, 2006
  7. frankg

    Mike Russell Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message

    >> Any ideas here - I have 2 scanners connected via a scsi card to my pc -
    >> the first in the chain is a film scanner - polaroid 120 and that works
    >> ok. The second scanner is an old flatbed microtek scanmaker III annd that
    >> has been working fine until recently. It previews the images ok but
    >> suddenly freezes and crashes PS after starting the scan. And the 'ready
    >> light' goes out.
    >> I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers and scan software
    >> and also the 'repair' option re-installion of PS (cs2). I've also tried
    >> to only have one scanner at a time connected. I access these scanners
    >> from the PS>file>import menu. Is the old grey mare just dying and I
    >> should toss it out, or is there a software problem that can be fixed?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thank you
    >> Frank
    >>

    > Unfortunately, the Scanwizard app for the Scanmaker flatbed scanner isnt
    > standalone, so i cant try it from outside of photoshop.
    > I did try unchaining the polaroid film scanner (usually 1st in the scsi
    > chain) and connecting only the troublesome Microtek flatbed with a short
    > scsi cable and terminator. No luck, same problem. There is a Scantest
    > utility that comes with the scanner which tests if the scanner is ok - it
    > tested ok, strangely enough.
    > I also suspected memory allocation problems as when the problem first
    > ocurred, we were able to scan some handwritten pages as line art, but when
    > we wanted to scan a col print, it failed. How oes one fix memory
    > addressing problems ?

    Could be bad memory. As I recall Scanwizard had a stand alone version. you
    may want to download this from the Microtel support site.
    <http://www.support.microtek.com/knowledgebase_1/kbdtl.phtml?request=KB-00068&vw=2&kb=STP-00007>

    It may be time for an upgrade. I gave away my Microtek some years ago, and
    bought a 5900 on ebay for a song. It's faster, higher rez, and does
    transparencies.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Apr 20, 2006
  8. frankg

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > frankg writes ...
    >
    >I also suspected memory allocation problems as when the problem first
    >ocurred, we were able to scan some handwritten pages as line art, but when
    >we wanted to scan a col print, it failed. How oes one fix memory addressing
    >problems ?

    If this is really the issue (and I *think* it is, but could be wrong)
    all you can really do is minimize the memory used and hope the scan has
    enough to finish without a conflict. The Photoshop memory allocation
    works fine with just Photoshop but when using Twain you're actually
    using the scanner software indirectly and it appears to me that this
    software (or at least some programs) doesn't behave well with Photoshop
    in managing the memory allocations.

    Anyway, to maximize the memory available I'd set my mem allocation in
    Photoshop as high as I could without getting crashes (I have mine set
    at 86% and never crash - default is 50%). Close down all other
    programs. If you've been using Photoshop in this session then close it
    and re-open it before starting to scan. Don't do anything else (in
    Photoshop or other programs) while you scan. When the scan is done
    save it off right away instead of starting a second scan (this is where
    I would crash with a Nikon LS-8000, after stacking up a couple of 4,000
    dpi medium format scans without saving them). You may need to close
    Photoshop and re-open it after each scan if you're really short on
    memory.

    If you're *really* shy on memory you may not be able to scan at the
    highest rez, if you crash try scanning at lower rez and setting the
    bottom-left status window to 'scratch sizes' to see if there's a
    correlation between running out of RAM and crashing. Probably at some
    lower rez you'll be able to scan, if it's a memory issue.

    Good luck, this kind of thing is frustrating to deal with ...

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Apr 20, 2006
  9. frankg

    frankg Guest

    Do you mean this scanner ?
    http://www.microtekusa.com/sm5900.html

    frankg, Apr 20, 2006
  10. frankg

    thanatoid Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in

    >> frankg writes ...
    >>
    >>I also suspected memory allocation problems as when the
    >>problem first ocurred, we were able to scan some
    >>handwritten pages as line art, but when we wanted to scan a
    >>col print, it failed. How oes one fix memory addressing
    >>problems ?

    > If this is really the issue (and I *think* it is, but could
    > be wrong) all you can really do is minimize the memory used
    > and hope the scan has enough to finish without a conflict.
    > The Photoshop memory allocation works fine with just
    > Photoshop but when using Twain you're actually using the
    > scanner software indirectly and it appears to me that this
    > software (or at least some programs) doesn't behave well
    > with Photoshop in managing the memory allocations.
    >
    > Anyway, to maximize the memory available I'd set my mem
    > allocation in Photoshop as high as I could without getting
    > crashes (I have mine set at 86% and never crash - default
    > is 50%). Close down all other programs. If you've been
    > using Photoshop in this session then close it and re-open
    > it before starting to scan. Don't do anything else (in
    > Photoshop or other programs) while you scan. When the scan
    > is done save it off right away instead of starting a second
    > scan (this is where I would crash with a Nikon LS-8000,
    > after stacking up a couple of 4,000 dpi medium format scans
    > without saving them). You may need to close Photoshop and
    > re-open it after each scan if you're really short on
    > memory.
    >
    > If you're *really* shy on memory you may not be able to
    > scan at the highest rez, if you crash try scanning at lower
    > rez and setting the bottom-left status window to 'scratch
    > sizes' to see if there's a correlation between running out
    > of RAM and crashing. Probably at some lower rez you'll be
    > able to scan, if it's a memory issue.
    >
    > Good luck, this kind of thing is frustrating to deal with
    >
    > Bill

    Just me other seven cents...

    I personally stopped using PS forever after I did an "undo" in
    version 4 I think, and the stupid program obediently zoomed back
    to the previous view. ****.

    I've been using Micrografx Picture Publisher (which had infinite
    undo/command edit list for years before PS) since then and I am
    happy as a clam. Of course, I don't do pre-press for Abrams, but
    neither do 99.9% other PS users. And MPP never crashes, even
    with my 64MB of RAM.
    Of course, I scan apart, like you suggested above. TWAIN should
    have never been developed or implemented.

    --
    thanatoid-TipĀ® #2
    Attacking others on the Usenet is fun and relatively safe, since
    thanatoid, Apr 20, 2006
  11. frankg

    Mike Russell Guest

    Mike Russell, Apr 21, 2006