  1. I am looking for a scanner that is compatible with x-64. I have been using
    HP, but recently someone told me that Canon was the only manufacturer that
    has 64 bit drivers avaialablew that are not betas.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Air_Plus_Rob wrote:
    > I am looking for a scanner that is compatible with x-64. I have been using
    > HP, but recently someone told me that Canon was the only manufacturer that
    > has 64 bit drivers avaialablew that are not betas.

    Epson has 64-bit drivers for many of their all-in-one devices, as well.
    My Stylus CX3810 works just fine in WinXPx64.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrum Russell

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 29, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Brother also has drivers for the all-in-ones. Takes care of your scanner and
    printer and are cheap to moderate price.

    John Barnes, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Also HP has beta drivers for their AIO PSC line (Printer, Scanner, Copier).
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...s=2030&product=441115&softwareitem=oj-39336-1
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 29, 2006
  5. I have been running HP PSC for more than a year since the 'pre_Beta' days -
    the installation is a bit involved, but never had an issue with any of them.
    Works perfectly.

    Not all HP products have 64bit support - take care with color lasers, and
    the photosmart line. Scrutinize the market.

    Also, generally stay away from any printer that is relying on so called
    Host-Based printer functionality!

    Everybody has their own likes/dislikes. From what I can remember of the
    going's on in this group over the duration of 'quite some time' is that
    several has vowed never to buy from Canon again. Same for Lexmark, I
    believe. This doesn't mean that they will not work, just that several have
    been reporting being disillusioned and disappointed with, specifically,
    their early 64bit support (the absens, rather!), if I'm not mistaken.

    For a long time HP and nVidia was about the only manufacturers that actually
    had any kind of 64bit support - none other, that I know of, has ever
    released any Beta drivers, meaning that you may have to wait - for how long?
    Some are still waiting, it would seem.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 29, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Lexmark had a good number of drivers native in x64, including one for my 5
    yr old printer. Canon on the other hand was very tardy and no driver
    support for my 1 year old printer, since the model has been discontinued.
    They seem to do that often. Another driver provides decent print quality but
    not photo quality.

    John Barnes, Jul 29, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Canon MP500 multi function here. Works flawlessly in x64 with their 64 bit
    drivers.

    Larry Hodges, Jul 30, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Guest

    Air_Plus_Rob wrote:
    > I am looking for a scanner that is compatible with x-64. I have been using
    > HP, but recently someone told me that Canon was the only manufacturer that
    > has 64 bit drivers avaialablew that are not betas.

    If you own a high end scanner (i.e. one good enough to justify the cost
    of the software), Ed Hamrick has managed to make Vuescan work under
    X64:
    http://www.hamrick.com/

    You might want to check it out as it can also interface to digital
    cameras. There is a free demo. I've owned the pro-version for years,
    and Ed does continual upgrades, i.e. he won't be shutting down shop.

    , Aug 1, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Guest

    The suggestion of using Vuescan raised my hopes of not having to get
    rid of my very slightly used Canon Canoscan 3200F. So I downloaded
    the trial version but there was no .inf file for my scanner.
    An email to Hamrick received a very quick reply which said "VueScan
    uses a Canon-supplied library to work with the 3200F, and this library
    isn't available on 64-bit Windows"

    Hopes dashed and it looks like the end of the road on the matter
    unless I dual boot or use VM ware, both being a bit messy.

    On 31 Jul 2006 23:05:48 -0700, wrote:

    >Air_Plus_Rob wrote:
    >> I am looking for a scanner that is compatible with x-64. I have been using
    >> HP, but recently someone told me that Canon was the only manufacturer that
    >> has 64 bit drivers avaialablew that are not betas.

    >If you own a high end scanner (i.e. one good enough to justify the cost
    >of the software), Ed Hamrick has managed to make Vuescan work under
    >X64:
    >http://www.hamrick.com/
    >
    >You might want to check it out as it can also interface to digital
    >cameras. There is a free demo. I've owned the pro-version for years,
    >and Ed does continual upgrades, i.e. he won't be shutting down shop.

    , Aug 3, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Guest

    wrote:
    > The suggestion of using Vuescan raised my hopes of not having to get
    > rid of my very slightly used Canon Canoscan 3200F. So I downloaded
    > the trial version but there was no .inf file for my scanner.
    > An email to Hamrick received a very quick reply which said "VueScan
    > uses a Canon-supplied library to work with the 3200F, and this library
    > isn't available on 64-bit Windows"
    >
    > Hopes dashed and it looks like the end of the road on the matter
    > unless I dual boot or use VM ware, both being a bit messy.
    >

    > On 31 Jul 2006 23:05:48 -0700, wrote:
    >

    > >Air_Plus_Rob wrote:
    > >> I am looking for a scanner that is compatible with x-64. I have been using
    > >> HP, but recently someone told me that Canon was the only manufacturer that
    > >> has 64 bit drivers avaialablew that are not betas.

    > >If you own a high end scanner (i.e. one good enough to justify the cost
    > >of the software), Ed Hamrick has managed to make Vuescan work under
    > >X64:
    > >http://www.hamrick.com/
    > >
    > >You might want to check it out as it can also interface to digital
    > >cameras. There is a free demo. I've owned the pro-version for years,
    > >and Ed does continual upgrades, i.e. he won't be shutting down shop.

    Ed is the man, so what he says goes. He did get the Minolta 5400 II
    scanner working for me, but maybe there is more demand for that
    scanner. Note there is no driver for x64 from Minolta, which is fact
    left the scanner business. [Products sold to Sony.] Ed generally
    supports dedicate film scanners and digital cameras.

    , Aug 6, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Ed Guest

    I also could not get it to work with my Epson Perfection 3590 scanner
    for the same reason (no .inf file).

    I thought about VMware myself but I only have the Windows OEM cd and a
    new retail version is very expensive, so it's not a good option for me
    now.

    Ed, Aug 7, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Guest

    Ed wrote:
    > I also could not get it to work with my Epson Perfection 3590 scanner
    > for the same reason (no .inf file).
    >
    > I thought about VMware myself but I only have the Windows OEM cd and a
    > new retail version is very expensive, so it's not a good option for me
    > now.
    >

    > wrote:
    > > The suggestion of using Vuescan raised my hopes of not having to get
    > > rid of my very slightly used Canon Canoscan 3200F. So I downloaded
    > > the trial version but there was no .inf file for my scanner.
    > > An email to Hamrick received a very quick reply which said "VueScan
    > > uses a Canon-supplied library to work with the 3200F, and this library
    > > isn't available on 64-bit Windows"
    > >
    > > Hopes dashed and it looks like the end of the road on the matter
    > > unless I dual boot or use VM ware, both being a bit messy.

    > > >If you own a high end scanner (i.e. one good enough to justify the cost
    > > >of the software), Ed Hamrick has managed to make Vuescan work under
    > > >X64:
    > > >http://www.hamrick.com/
    > > >
    > > >You might want to check it out as it can also interface to digital
    > > >cameras. There is a free demo. I've owned the pro-version for years,
    > > >and Ed does continual upgrades, i.e. he won't be shutting down shop.

    For others interested in running Vuescan under X64, the scanner in this
    file
    http://www.hamrick.com/files/scanners.inf
    are the only ones that vuescan can support on X64

    , Aug 7, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Ed Guest

    My scanner is on that list but Vuescan still doesn't work for it and
    I'm running x64.

    Ed, Aug 7, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Guest

    I see it is on the list. I think you need to have the scanner plugged
    in, stop any install that x64 tries to do, then go to the control panel
    then scanners. Mine seems to automatically use Ed's scanners.inf file
    (not sure why other than it might remember the last install.)

    Try it again and note exactly how it bombs. I can't seem to find the
    email I got that helped me get my scanner working on X64, but if you
    explain what is happening, I can check with those on the film scanners
    list.

    Ed wrote:
    > My scanner is on that list but Vuescan still doesn't work for it and
    > I'm running x64.
    >

    > wrote:
    > > Ed wrote:
    > > > I also could not get it to work with my Epson Perfection 3590 scanner
    > > > for the same reason (no .inf file).
    > > >
    > > > I thought about VMware myself but I only have the Windows OEM cd and a
    > > > new retail version is very expensive, so it's not a good option for me
    > > > now.

    > > For others interested in running Vuescan under X64, the scanner in this
    > > file
    > > http://www.hamrick.com/files/scanners.inf
    > > are the only ones that vuescan can support on X64

    , Aug 8, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Ed Guest

    I tried your method, it got me a bit farther (got to choose from
    Hamrick's list of drivers) but still no go.

    The error I get is no scanner is installed. I deleted the scanner,
    then restarted and reinstalled, still didn't work. I get this error
    even though Epson Perfection 3590 comes up on scanners box of control
    panel.

    Will Hamrick try to come up with a fix for these issues in his updates?
    I see on his website he has a disclaimer:

    http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

    "Please note that not all scanners work with all operating systems or
    SCSI/USB/Firewire interfaces, but most combinations are known to work."

    Thanks for the tips.

    Ed, Aug 9, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Guest

    Ed wrote:
    > I tried your method, it got me a bit farther (got to choose from
    > Hamrick's list of drivers) but still no go.
    >
    > The error I get is no scanner is installed. I deleted the scanner,
    > then restarted and reinstalled, still didn't work. I get this error
    > even though Epson Perfection 3590 comes up on scanners box of control
    > panel.
    >
    > Will Hamrick try to come up with a fix for these issues in his updates?
    > I see on his website he has a disclaimer:
    >
    > http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported
    >
    > "Please note that not all scanners work with all operating systems or
    > SCSI/USB/Firewire interfaces, but most combinations are known to work."
    >
    > Thanks for the tips.
    >

    > wrote:
    > > I see it is on the list. I think you need to have the scanner plugged
    > > in, stop any install that x64 tries to do, then go to the control panel
    > > then scanners. Mine seems to automatically use Ed's scanners.inf file
    > > (not sure why other than it might remember the last install.)
    > >
    > > Try it again and note exactly how it bombs. I can't seem to find the
    > > email I got that helped me get my scanner working on X64, but if you
    > > explain what is happening, I can check with those on the film scanners
    > > list.
    > >
    > > Ed wrote:
    > > > My scanner is on that list but Vuescan still doesn't work for it and
    > > > I'm running x64.

    Well, thanks to an OS refresh, my scanner was no longer being
    recognized. [The OS refresh was to fix a problem that brought me back
    to this NG after months on no issues!] So I had to reinstall my
    scanner.

    Here is what worked for me. I turned off the PC then plugged in the usb
    port to the scanner. Probably just hot plugging the usb cable would do
    the trick, but I figured I'd return the PC to a known state. Upon
    booting, the new hardware was detected. I did the install using the
    option to specify the location of the INF file. X64 found both my
    source file and the installed driver, so I seleted the one that was
    installed. In your case, you would select the source file (Hamricks
    INF). If it doesn't find it, you would browse to the location and
    select it. The install worked and I got a message near the system tray
    that the device was ready to use. I started vuescan and the scanner was
    found.

    Your mileage may vary. ;-) Give it a shot. BTW, I didn't install my
    SCSI scanners in the my X64 PC. Now the OS may not find a SCSI scanner.
    I think Ed has some tip on his website about using a USB to SCSI
    adapter, setting it to 0. If you have a Fry's electronics handy (or any
    place that takes the hardware back), you can try using the scanner on a
    USB port. Maybe the the procedure I outlined wil worl.

    I figured I woudl get a USB scanner that worked on X64 rather than try
    to make my old scanner work. Whle it wasn't a great flatbed, it wasn't
    a throwaway either. [Microtek X6EL) However, I suspect a new flatbed
    scanner would be about the same price as the SCSI to USB adapter. This
    may not be the case with your scanner. I even replaced my kilobuck film
    scanner (5 years old) with a new one that worked much better at less
    that half the price.

    I keep telling myself it is only money. ;-)

    , Aug 10, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Ed Guest

    Hey,

    I just came back to tell you I finally got it working and here you are
    suggesting the same thing. :)

    What worked for me is I restarted the computer without the usb cable
    plugged in, plugged it in and then ran through the hardware wizard,
    choosing the specific location for the inf file. I couldn't believe
    that it worked - I am just over the moon! Great I don't have to get a
    new scanner now.

    One peculiar thing though - I cannot use other programs (only Vuescan)
    such as Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Photo Editor with the scanner - it
    doesn't come up as a scanner. Any ideas? I will try uninstalling and
    reinstalling the software.

    Ed Hamrick's THE MAN!

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 10, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Guest

    [For those who get bent out of shape, sorry about the top posting.]

    Vuescan doesn't use a twain, while those programs do. My understanding
    is the scanner.inf is just a gimmick to get around the operating system
    needing to see something to install the scanner.

    If you purchase Vuescan, consider getting the pro version. Though I
    haven't tried it yet, Vuescan can interface to digital cameras, and you
    know how often new models come out.

    For the longest time, there was only one version of the program. I have
    the original $40 version that offered free updates for life, and Ed has
    kept his word. Now you have to buy the pro version to get the free
    updates.

    Ed wrote:
> [...]

    > > SCSI scanners in the my X64 PC. Now the OS may not find a SCSI scanner.
    > > I think Ed has some tip on his website about using a USB to SCSI
    > > adapter, setting it to 0. If you have a Fry's electronics handy (or any
    > > place that takes the hardware back), you can try using the scanner on a
    > > USB port. Maybe the the procedure I outlined wil worl.
    > >
    > > I figured I woudl get a USB scanner that worked on X64 rather than try
    > > to make my old scanner work. Whle it wasn't a great flatbed, it wasn't
    > > a throwaway either. [Microtek X6EL) However, I suspect a new flatbed
    > > scanner would be about the same price as the SCSI to USB adapter. This
    > > may not be the case with your scanner. I even replaced my kilobuck film
    > > scanner (5 years old) with a new one that worked much better at less
    > > that half the price.
    > >
    > > I keep telling myself it is only money. ;-)

  19. =?Utf-8?B?QWlyX1BsdXNfUm9i?=

    Ed Guest

    I got the pro version. No need to use scanner with acrobat now because
    Vuescan can save files in .pdf format. There are also alot of tweaks
    you can do.

    Ed, Aug 12, 2006