    read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
    am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
    would be appreciated.
    Grady R. Thompson, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Grady R. Thompson

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Grady R.
    Thompson <> wrote:

    > I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
    > The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
    > has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
    > specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
    > downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
    > read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
    > am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
    > would be appreciated.

    the problem is likely the firewire scsi adapter which tend to only work
    with hard drives. try a pci scsi card instead.
    nospam, Jan 2, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Grady R. Thompson <> wrote:

    > I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
    > The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
    > has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
    > specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
    > downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
    > read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
    > am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
    > would be appreciated.

    Scanner drivers are never very robust and SCSI is non-trivial to do
    correctly. I don't think I've seen a SCSI scanner work since 1994.
    Even many recent SCSI scanners are still based on the System 6 SCSI
    Manager, and that SCSI Manager was hard-coded for a very specific
    hardware configuration. It often isn't possible for the modern SCSI
    Manager to emulate that old interface with new hardware.

    See if you can make the scanner appear in Apple's System Pofiler. If
    not, there's something wrong. You may have an old Belkin driver,
    termination problems, or the wrong kind of cable.

    If it does appear, it may be a problem trying to emulate the ancient
    SCSI Manager. Fuss with the SCSI ID and see if there's a Belkin utility
    to assist the ancient SCSI Manager emulator.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Grady R. Thompson

    Guest Guest

    In article <>, Grady R.
    Thompson <> wrote:

    > I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
    > The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
    > has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
    > specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
    > downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
    > read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
    > am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
    > would be appreciated.

    I have a G4 and a Umax scanner, so my setup may not be applicable to
    you. When I bought the G4, I had the dealer install the SCSI adapter.

    Are all the scanner application extensions in the Extensions folder?
    I use SCSIProbe, which is in the Control Panel, open it and check if it
    can see the scanner. Very important, read the manual that came with the
    scanner - it will tell you the SCSI number to use for the scanner. This
    number will show up in SCSIProbe.

    If no other SCSI device is connected, you need to install a Terminator
    to the remaining SCSI port of the scanner.

    Maybe you already know all of this ;0)

    A few years ago, I had a major crash (down for two days), and SCSIProbe
    disappeared, so none of my SCSI devices would work until I found it and
    installed it in the Control Panel.

    Peter
    Guest, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Grady R. Thompson

    Donald Link Guest

    Must be your human problem because if you ask a Mac User they do not have
    problems like this with the hardware because it is only a PC issue!

    Donald Link, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Grady R. Thompson

    Ron Wong Guest

    In article <jApJb.21553$>,
    "Donald Link" <> wrote:

    > Must be your human problem because if you ask a Mac User they do not have
    > problems like this with the hardware because it is only a PC issue!
    >

    > "Grady R. Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > > I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
    > > The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
    > > has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
    > > specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
    > > downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
    > > read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
    > > am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
    > > would be appreciated.

    Grady:

    Ignore Donald's remark since it's that of a PC snob commenting on remarks
    that are often made by Mac snobs.

    Macs do have problems with I/O but just not as often - never, in the
    experience of a some/many users.

    What you have to do first is determine whether your Belkin SCSI/Firewire
    Adapter connection is working properly.

    First, turn your scanner on.

    Then turn on (or restart the Mac) and, in OS X, go to the Apple icon,
    select "About this Mac", "More Info...", "Devices and Volumes" and see
    whether the Belkin adapter (or your Minolta scanner) appears under
    "FireWire Information".

    If it doesn't then you'll have to check to see if your SCSI device is set
    up properly.

    When linked to a SCSI port, the chain of SCSI devices must be properly
    terminated. Even though your scanner is being connected to your computer
    by way of a SCSI/FireWire adapter, it may have to be terminated for the
    adapter to work properly. Check to make sure this is the case.

    If your scanner IS terminated, then reverse the setting, restart the
    computer and see if the System Profiler can detect the presence of the
    scanner without termination.

    As long as the System Profiler can't "see" the scanner by way of the
    adapter, you'll never be able to make use of your scanner no matter whose
    driver you are using.

    Lots of luck.

    ron
    Ron Wong, Jan 4, 2004
  7. In article <010120041956068776%>, nospam
    <> wrote:

    > the problem is likely the firewire scsi adapter which tend to only work
    > with hard drives. try a pci scsi card instead.

    YES. I've rarely seen a SCSI converter (FireWire OR USB) work reliably;
    and never for a scanner. Don't waste your time fiddling with it, just
    get a SCSI card.

    For the record, I have an ancient HP ScanJet 4c attached to my 2003
    dual processor G4 with an Adaptec 2930 card. Running Mac OS 10.3.5 and
    the third-party scqanning program VueScan, I get great results.
    Scott Schuckert, Sep 15, 2004