    WinXP x64?
    Help Andre, Help Charlie Russel, Help everyody!
    Carlos
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 2, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    James Park Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The only true reason for keeping dual boot (x32 and x64) is that I have no
    > x64 driver for my USB Agfa Snapscan Touch scanner.
    > Is it possible to run some Virtual Machine Program (VirtualPC, VMWare),
    > install WindowsXP 32bit on it, install my scanner and use it without
    > leaving
    > WinXP x64?

    Virtual PC does not support USB devices (doesn't work on x64 anyway), but
    WMWare does. Check out their trial and see if it works out for you.
    James Park, Sep 2, 2005

  3. VMWare Workstation 5 supports USB devices and works in XP64.
    I set up my printer and scanners under Windows 2000 and they worked.

    There is a 30 day trial version of VMWare. You can test it and see how it
    works for you before buying. You could use your existing copy of XP32 for
    testing, but don't activate it - the virtual machine is seen as different
    hardware.

    The virtual machine can be saved and re-installed if you decide to use this
    method. Activate it then.

    The virtual machine can be suspended and resumed very quickly.
    Dominic Payer, Sep 2, 2005
  4. It could be cheaper (and better) to get a new scanner than buy VMWare
    Workstation.

    64 bit drivers are available for most, if not all, current Epson scanners.
    Check your local Epson support site for driver availability.

    Other manufacturers may have drivers sometime.
    Dominic Payer, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Well, Carlos, I agree with the others, if you just want to stay in one
    environment and use a virtual environment that supports your scanner, I
    would definitely go with VM Ware.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Andre Da Costa, Sep 2, 2005
  6. "64 bit drivers are available for most, if not all, current Epson scanners. "

    I really wish this were true.....I have an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo
    scanner and an X64 driver is NO WHERE to be found. (even as of this post.)

    If I'm wrong and you have a link that would be GREAT!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFrb2E=?=, Sep 4, 2005
  7. Sorry, no driver for you :

    http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vi...8839780B2CC58C50650C8B125C305BA7A178BE10A7711

    ....and no driver for me, neither (scanner EPSON GT-7000 Photo).

    EPSON is *very* disappointing in this respect.

    Jean-Baptiste Faure [NNBXX], Sep 4, 2005
  8. See the list at the end of this pdf file from Epson Australia
    www.downloads.epson.com.au/DownloadFile.asp?Filename=Epson and 64 bit Windows.pdf&Path=TechTips

    Epson seem to support only current production models and the 1670 and
    GT-7000 have been superseded.

    The hope for the future is that "not currently planned" won't mean "never".

    "Jean-Baptiste Faure [NNBXX]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Dominic Payer, Sep 5, 2005
  9. "Dominic Payer" <> wrote in message
    > See the list at the end of this pdf file from Epson Australia

    www.downloads.epson.com.au/DownloadFile.asp?Filename=Epson and 64 bit Window
    s.pdf&Path=TechTips

    > Epson seem to support only current production models and the 1670 and
    > GT-7000 have been superseded.
    >
    > The hope for the future is that "not currently planned" won't mean

    "never".

    I lost the use of my scanner when Windows 2000 came out, Epson emailed me
    that they would not build a compatible driver for Win2k because the scanner
    was not current production. It seems they were more honest then? "not
    currently planned" does mean never.

    Of course it's not a problem for me, I've never bought another Epson product
    and never will since they seem to think turning a $1,200 scanner into a
    doorstop because they won't write a driver for a non-current product is
    satisfactory to their customers....

    --
    David R. Norton MVP (shell/user)
    David R. Norton, Sep 5, 2005
  10. Guys...I've been writing (more like spamming) all the vendors who's devices I
    own that DON'T have x64 drivers.
    THIS is what EPSON said to me about it....(probably just stroking me along
    anyway)

    ME -
    "When (if at all??) are you going to produce drivers for the 64-bit version
    of Windows?
    I have a 1670 Photo Scanner of yours that is useless to me otherwise."

    EPSON -
    "The majority of current Seiko Epson Corporation drivers have been written
    to work on a 32 bit operating system architecture.
    You will likely experience difficulty installing the current 32 bit drivers
    on a 64 bit Windows operating system. We are working on posting new 64 bit
    drivers for many of our products in the coming months, and any new drivers
    and / or details concerning 64 bit drivers will be posted on our website at
    www.epson.com once they become available."

    THIS SAID NOTHING ABOUT ONLY SUPPORTING CURRENTLY SOLD PRODUCTS!
    Almost makes me want to grab the 32-bit driver and take it to one of my
    programer buddies to see if they can "jimmie" it up to 64-bit.

    Sheesh...what a GREAT business model... Epson may need a new slogan:

    Epson: just a little bit better than crack dealers.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFrb2E=?=, Sep 7, 2005
  11. Let's not leave out Canon Scanners in this mix.........its the same bull
    with them too.

    news.microsoft.com, Sep 10, 2005