    would like to scan in high resolution and then print (to 8.5X11 or larger).
    Any body have experience doing this? What scanner should I be considering?
    rt

    Robert, Jul 6, 2005

  2. In article <K3Uye.133296$on1.63501@clgrps13>,
    "Robert" <> wrote:

    > I have a lot of 4X5 color negatives as well as many 6X7 negatives that I
    > would like to scan in high resolution and then print (to 8.5X11 or larger).
    > Any body have experience doing this? What scanner should I be considering?
    > rt

    I guess that depends on the depth of your pockets. How deep are they?

    It also depends on what your classifying as high resolution? 4,000 DPI
    or 300, most printing applications like 4 color reproduction only
    require the final size to be on the order of 300 DPI at full size.

    That stated: You could probably use a flat bed scanner (Epson 4990,
    or some other in the 400-600$ range) and something like silver fast v6
    and get pretty nice results for most types of printing, with perhaps the
    exception of very high end books and poster art. That is if you have a
    good color eye and can color balance (Lambda's and Light Jet prints only
    need 150 or 200 dpi) Ink jetted you might want a little more res. Now
    if your wanting to scan say the 1+1 image area and resample to a bigger
    size and smaller DPI say 4,000 at 1+1 then
    resample to 48" x 24" (i.e) getting a high quality scanner such as an
    Imacon, a Howtek _drum scanner is a better option. But these items have
    prices that are very big used 3k and up. All the results though depend
    on your ability to color correct and understand the aspects of file
    preparation for the intended use, so spending a lot does not always
    connote better results.

    Personally I have many thousand 4x5 images, I would not justify
    buying an Imacon at this point in my career to just make personal
    prints or even send out samples. A nikon coolscan 9000 would be nice,..
    for my MF imagery and 35mm.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    Gregory Blank, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Robert wrote:

    > I have a lot of 4X5 color negatives as well as many 6X7 negatives that I
    > would like to scan in high resolution and then print (to 8.5X11 or larger).
    > Any body have experience doing this? What scanner should I be considering?
    > rt

    Here is a comparison of a drum scanner and an Epson 4990:

    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/drum.vs.flatbed-scanners

    I currently have 4x5's scanned on the 4990 enlarged to 24x30 inches
    hanging in galleries. I can get very sharp prints from 4x5
    scans on my 4990.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jul 7, 2005
  4. "Robert" <> wrote:
    >I have a lot of 4X5 color negatives as well as many 6X7 negatives that I
    >would like to scan in high resolution and then print (to 8.5X11 or larger).
    >Any body have experience doing this? What scanner should I be considering?

    If you think of the Epson 4990 as a 2400 ppi scanner, that is, if you plan
    on getting excellent 6x enlargements and good 8x enlargements, you won't be
    disappointed.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 7, 2005