    when told to scan that disk. Why?

    Does anyone happen to know the maximum size partition that Scandisk32 for Win98
    can cope with?

    A. J. Moss, Apr 15, 2004

  2. A. J. Moss wrote:

    > When I format a FAT32 partition to be as close as possible to, but not over,
    > 128Gb (2^37 bytes), Scandisk32 for Win98SE always reports "not enough memory"
    > when told to scan that disk. Why?

    Probably because the software author never thought that anyone in
    their right mind would ever have a 127GByte FAT32X partition.

    > Does anyone happen to know the maximum size partition that Scandisk32 for Win98
    > can cope with?

    127GBytes.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 15, 2004

  3. A. J. Moss

    SgtMinor Guest

    "Limitations of FAT32 File System"

    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q184/0/06.asp&NoWebContent=1

    SgtMinor, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Howdy!

    "A. J. Moss" <> wrote in message
    > When I format a FAT32 partition to be as close as possible to, but not

    over,
    > 128Gb (2^37 bytes), Scandisk32 for Win98SE always reports "not enough

    memory"
    > when told to scan that disk. Why?

    Probably more than 4 million clusters. Or more accurately, the
    "almost 4 million" that's left over from 16M when SCANDISK loads and builds
    its internal tables ...

    > Does anyone happen to know the maximum size partition that Scandisk32 for

    Win98
    > can cope with?

    Not quite 4 million clusters, and FAT32 currently has a max cluster
    size of 32K in Win98, so that's just under 128G.

    Try backing down a small bit at a time.

    Or run either Speedisk from Norton, Diskkeeper from Executive
    Software, or Raxio's Perfect Disk - all of which are 32bit apps, and don't
    have that 16bit software, 24bit address space limit ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Apr 16, 2004
  5. A. J. Moss

    Mad Ad Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "A. J. Moss" <> wrote in message
    > > When I format a FAT32 partition to be as close as possible to, but not

    > over,
    > > 128Gb (2^37 bytes), Scandisk32 for Win98SE always reports "not enough

    > memory"
    > > when told to scan that disk. Why?

    > Probably more than 4 million clusters. Or more accurately, the
    > "almost 4 million" that's left over from 16M when SCANDISK loads and

    builds
    > its internal tables ...

    why not just take the 127.53Gb that is on the M$ site as the maximum size
    rather than guessing? Close but not over 128 is not 127.53 is it? .46 of a
    Gb is quite a lot.

    Mad Ad, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Howdy!

    "Mad Ad" <> wrote in message

    > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > > Howdy!
    > >
    > > "A. J. Moss" <> wrote in message
    > > > When I format a FAT32 partition to be as close as possible to, but not

    > > over,
    > > > 128Gb (2^37 bytes), Scandisk32 for Win98SE always reports "not enough

    > > memory"
    > > > when told to scan that disk. Why?

    > > Probably more than 4 million clusters. Or more accurately, the
    > > "almost 4 million" that's left over from 16M when SCANDISK loads and

    > builds
    > > its internal tables ...

    > why not just take the 127.53Gb that is on the M$ site as the maximum size
    > rather than guessing? Close but not over 128 is not 127.53 is it? .46 of a
    > Gb is quite a lot.

    Wasn't guessing. There's a difference between knowing the EXACT
    number, and knowing where the number comes from.

    And my "probably" was in reply to "Why?" since I'm not there ...

    And, since .46G is about .36% .. that's not quite a lot.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Apr 18, 2004
  7. A. J. Moss

    Mad Ad Guest

    how can you say .46 of a gig isnt a lot? I can get 3 to 4 full mp3 albums
    (at a reasonable bitrate) in that space or a medium size game or several
    applications/utilities or a base instal of windows 98 ... I can see youve
    learned how to punch a few calculator buttons to arrive at some useless
    relativistic percentage but that doesnt help the OP judge how far under
    128Gb he has to go to achieve his fat32 maximum huh?

    Mad Ad, Apr 18, 2004
  8. Howdy!

    "Mad Ad" <> wrote in message
    > how can you say .46 of a gig isnt a lot?

    Compared to 128G? It isn't.

    Compared to my first hard disk ( a whopping 5 megs )? It's a HELL
    of a lot.

    > I can get 3 to 4 full mp3 albums
    > (at a reasonable bitrate) in that space or a medium size game or several
    > applications/utilities or a base instal of windows 98 ... I can see youve
    > learned how to punch a few calculator buttons to arrive at some useless
    > relativistic percentage but that doesnt help the OP judge how far under
    > 128Gb he has to go to achieve his fat32 maximum huh?

    You were nice enough to supply the exact number. I described where
    the problem was coming from, and a workaround to avoid the problem (which
    would enable him to use 128G even ...)

    Both are helpful.

    What's NOT helpful is your apparent attitude - that of (apparently)
    "YOU SUCK!" without any consideration that maybe, just MAYBE, I gave him
    what he was asking for (a workaround to the scandisk problem).

    But it's all a matter of attitude. You can learn to work nicely
    with others - or you can keep on trying to sound like an anal retentive.
    This is always your choice ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Apr 18, 2004
  9. A. J. Moss

    Millimeter Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:41:55 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"Mad Ad" <> wrote in message
    >> how can you say .46 of a gig isnt a lot?

    > Compared to 128G? It isn't.
    >
    > Compared to my first hard disk ( a whopping 5 megs )? It's a HELL

    Wimp, mine was 10 megs yeilding nearly (apparently) 18 with
    doublespace. Still got it under the stairs somewhere. :)

    Millimeter, Apr 18, 2004