    this is probably a dumb question but is there any way of runnig
    scandisk on xp without having to restart the computer?
    thanx

    kevin, Sep 24, 2003

  2. kevin

    youngstr11 Guest

    Yep, Uncheck the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors box"

    I figure you may know this already but to get to scan disk,
    Open My Computer
    Right Click on the drive you want to scan and select properties
    Click on the tools Tab

    youngstr11, Sep 25, 2003

  3. kevin

    Geoff Guest

    kevin wrote:
    > this is probably a dumb question but is there any way of runnig
    > scandisk on xp without having to restart the computer?
    > thanx

    you can run it read only mode in windows
    it needs to lock the drive (and rightly so) and as you are using it as your
    boot drive
    so, no can do

    Geoff, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Use Check Disk instead of scandisk.

    Start/Run Chkdsk

    Barry Watzman, Sep 26, 2003
  5. "Scandisk" is not in Win XP; they (Microsoft) inproved chkdsk which is the new "Scandisk"

    The Pugmaster

    The Pugmaster, Sep 28, 2003