    I can not run scandisk in Win98 (20gb hard drive, 3rd party
    supplier ....) BUT if I kill the power the PC will (it looks like) run
    scandisk before it will load Windows. How does it do this?
    p4o2, Jan 28, 2007

  2. p4o2

    WhzzKdd Guest

    p4o2 wrote:
    > I can not run scandisk in Win98 (20gb hard drive, 3rd party
    > supplier ....) BUT if I kill the power the PC will (it looks like) run
    > scandisk before it will load Windows. How does it do this?

    The shutdown sequence of Windows "flags" the system to say that it shut down
    successfully. If it doesn't shut down correctly, the flag isn't there. So
    when the system reboots, and the flag isn't there, it runs Scandisk.

    If you have problems running scandisk, you might try starting in Safe Mode,
    then doing the scan. And defrag. Then reboot and get on with the fun stuff.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 28, 2007

  3. p4o2

    philo Guest

    "p4o2" <> wrote in message
    > I can not run scandisk in Win98 (20gb hard drive, 3rd party
    > supplier ....) BUT if I kill the power the PC will (it looks like) run
    > scandisk before it will load Windows. How does it do this?

    If scandisk runs in windows but does not complete...
    it's due to other apps running.
    You should be able to boot to safe mode and run scandisk
    philo, Jan 28, 2007
  4. Simple solution that Hayne's Computer Troubleshooting manual suggested:

    Re-install Windows and try again. :)

    Daniel Anderson, Jan 28, 2007