    When I run scandisk on my 98SE it keeps reverting from 'checking folders' to
    checking 'file allocation tables' back and forth... I have checked that no
    other programmes are running. Any ideas please. BB

    Bob B, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Bob B wrote:

    > When I run scandisk on my 98SE it keeps reverting from 'checking folders'
    > to checking 'file allocation tables' back and forth... I have checked that
    > no other programmes are running. Any ideas please. BB

    Run it from "safe mode": press F8 key quickly when the bios messages
    disappear and select it.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 25, 2004

  3. Bob B

    Noel Paton Guest

    Try running it while in Safe Mode - there are things running on your PC
    which don't show in Task Manager.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

    Noel Paton, Dec 25, 2004
  4. Bob B

    Jerry G. Guest

    Run Scandisk, and the Defrag programs from safemode only!

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 25, 2004
  5. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    Many thanks for all your replies and in 'safe mode' no problems, which begs
    the question what is running in the background that is not showing up in
    task manager. BB

    --
    This is the place for all your fancy dress and christmas gifts
    http://www.thelaughingstock.co.uk/

    Bob B, Dec 27, 2004
  6. Bob B

    Trent SC Guest

    Loads of stuff. Any icons in your system tray indicate programs that are
    running, and have a look at your Task Manager for more.

    Trent SC, Dec 27, 2004
  7. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    Turned out to be zone alarm. It has to be shut down completely and not just
    have the internet lock applied. Can't remember this being a problem in the
    past so it maybe it is the way it reacts with the latest version of the AVG
    programme. Thank you for all the replies. BB

    Bob B, Dec 27, 2004