    So far I have used ALT/CTRL/DEL to invoke task manager and end task
    everything except scandisk and explorer but this doesn't help!

    TIA.
    ian field, Jul 26, 2006

  2. ian field

    RI_Geek Guest

    stopping scandisk from running is not wise, as it can be an indicator
    that you have a problem bigger than the annoyance. have you recently
    loaded any new hardware or software? perhaps do you use the power
    button to turn the computer off, or do you shut down using start,
    shutdown option? there are many possibilities but i would seek help
    from an IT person near you if you keep seeing scandisk run. personally
    i do not like ME and would upgrade to XP.

    RI_Geek, Jul 26, 2006

  3. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "RI_Geek" <> wrote in message
    > stopping scandisk from running is not wise, as it can be an indicator
    > that you have a problem bigger than the annoyance. have you recently
    > loaded any new hardware or software? perhaps do you use the power
    > button to turn the computer off, or do you shut down using start,
    > shutdown option? there are many possibilities but i would seek help
    > from an IT person near you if you keep seeing scandisk run. personally
    > i do not like ME and would upgrade to XP.

    I started scandisk as a routine maintenance measure - I did not stop
    scandisk running, something that keeps accessing the disk is what keeps
    stopping scandisk and I'm trying to find out what!
    ian field, Jul 26, 2006
  4. ian field

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 26 Jul 2006 12:40:38 -0700, "RI_Geek" <> wrote:

    >stopping scandisk from running is not wise, as it can be an indicator
    >that you have a problem bigger than the annoyance.

    Where did the OP say he stops scandisk?
    Evan Platt, Jul 26, 2006
  5. ian field

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-26, ian field <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know what keeps accessing disk C:\ and causing scandisk to keep
    > restarting before it gets very far?
    >
    > So far I have used ALT/CTRL/DEL to invoke task manager and end task
    > everything except scandisk and explorer but this doesn't help!
    >
    > TIA.

    First guess...your screen saver.
    Second guess...anything else running the background :)

    --
    "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".
    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2006
  6. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-26, ian field <> wrote:
    >> Does anyone know what keeps accessing disk C:\ and causing scandisk to
    >> keep
    >> restarting before it gets very far?
    >>
    >> So far I have used ALT/CTRL/DEL to invoke task manager and end task
    >> everything except scandisk and explorer but this doesn't help!
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > First guess...your screen saver.
    > Second guess...anything else running the background :)
    >

    > --
    > "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

    I was sure I disabled the screensaver (because despite what anyone says they
    actually do the CRT more harm than good!) but I'll double check that along
    with all the other power management settings that would have blanked the
    screen or kicked the PC into standby.

    Scandisk presents a warning box after 10 restarts informing me that it had
    to restart because some other application has accessed the disk even if I
    disable the warnings and let it run all day, it never gets past FAT &
    folders! As I stated in my original post I've invoked task manager with
    CTRL/ALT/DEL and end task everything except scandisk & explorer - if I try
    to end explorer it presents the shutdown/restart/standby/etc menu.
    ian field, Jul 26, 2006
  7. ian field wrote:

    > I started scandisk as a routine maintenance measure - I did not stop
    > scandisk running, something that keeps accessing the disk is what keeps
    > stopping scandisk and I'm trying to find out what!

    Running scandisk on a living system is like fscking a live, rw-mounted linux
    partition: guaranteed to make each other trouble meaningless.
    As I remember, you _can_ make a "DOS" bootable floppy with ME, or find some
    kind soul with XP which can make one.
    Copy scandisk.exe to it, from a win98 if not available with the
    ME-crippleware, and run it from the bootfloppy.
    Or you may try the "safe mode" of ME.
    Walter Mautner, Jul 26, 2006
  8. ian field

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-26, ian field <> wrote:
    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message

    > I was sure I disabled the screensaver (because despite what anyone says they
    > actually do the CRT more harm than good!) but I'll double check that along
    > with all the other power management settings that would have blanked the
    > screen or kicked the PC into standby.

    Turn off all the power management stuff, which I didn't think of
    initially. You can unplug the machine form the network and take down all
    the firewalling, all the AV...
    Let scandisk run. I do the above with a defrag...scandisk, defrag with
    everything off, reconnect, reboot...

    > Scandisk presents a warning box after 10 restarts informing me that it had
    > to restart because some other application has accessed the disk even if I
    > disable the warnings and let it run all day, it never gets past FAT &
    > folders! As I stated in my original post I've invoked task manager with
    > CTRL/ALT/DEL and end task everything except scandisk & explorer - if I try
    > to end explorer it presents the shutdown/restart/standby/etc menu.

    Hmmm...have you had a look at run>msconfig?

    --
    "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".
    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2006
  9. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-26, ian field <> wrote:
    >> "Jimchip" <> wrote in message

    >> I was sure I disabled the screensaver (because despite what anyone says
    >> they
    >> actually do the CRT more harm than good!) but I'll double check that
    >> along
    >> with all the other power management settings that would have blanked the
    >> screen or kicked the PC into standby.

    > Turn off all the power management stuff, which I didn't think of
    > initially. You can unplug the machine form the network and take down all
    > the firewalling, all the AV...
    > Let scandisk run. I do the above with a defrag...scandisk, defrag with
    > everything off, reconnect, reboot...
    >

    >> Scandisk presents a warning box after 10 restarts informing me that it
    >> had
    >> to restart because some other application has accessed the disk even if I
    >> disable the warnings and let it run all day, it never gets past FAT &
    >> folders! As I stated in my original post I've invoked task manager with
    >> CTRL/ALT/DEL and end task everything except scandisk & explorer - if I
    >> try
    >> to end explorer it presents the shutdown/restart/standby/etc menu.

    > Hmmm...have you had a look at run>msconfig?
    >

    > --
    > "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

    The ME machine is purely for archiving - no network of any kind, there is an
    external modem but that's not powered and is only used occasionally to
    download AVG and Adaware updates

    run>msconfig is an interesting idea - AVG used to load DOS components in
    Win98, I didn't think ME had the DOS structure under the gui!

    Is that anything like a *.bat file that I can temporarily rename to stop
    unannounced apps from loading and then change back again once I've finished
    using scandisk?

    Thanks.
    ian field, Jul 26, 2006
  10. ian field

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-26, ian field <> wrote:

    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-07-26, ian field <> wrote:
    >>> "Jimchip" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    >> Hmmm...have you had a look at run>msconfig?

    > The ME machine is purely for archiving - no network of any kind, there is an
    > external modem but that's not powered and is only used occasionally to
    > download AVG and Adaware updates
    >
    > run>msconfig is an interesting idea - AVG used to load DOS components in
    > Win98, I didn't think ME had the DOS structure under the gui!
    >
    > Is that anything like a *.bat file that I can temporarily rename to stop
    > unannounced apps from loading and then change back again once I've finished
    > using scandisk?

    Yes. Same as Win98. It should be at the root C:\
    Don't rename command.com :)

    msconfig should let you do all of that, give it a whirl.

    --
    "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".
    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2006
  11. ian field wrote:

    > The ME machine is purely for archiving - no network of any kind, there is
    > an external modem but that's not powered and is only used occasionally to
    > download AVG and Adaware updates

    You have disabled them?

    > run>msconfig is an interesting idea - AVG used to load DOS components in
    > Win98, I didn't think ME had the DOS structure under the gui!

    Hehe, no trouble, ME is pure dos under the hood, they just tried to disguise
    it. You can safely use a win98 bootfloppy with scandisk on it, to run your
    task.
    There has been some hack to give back "pure dos" as well, as I remember.

    > Is that anything like a *.bat file that I can temporarily rename to stop
    > unannounced apps from loading and then change back again once I've
    > finished using scandisk?

    It is a gui app to temporarily stop autostarts and services.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 27, 2006
  12. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > ian field wrote:

    >> The ME machine is purely for archiving - no network of any kind, there is
    >> an external modem but that's not powered and is only used occasionally to
    >> download AVG and Adaware updates
    >>

    > You have disabled them?
    >
    >> run>msconfig is an interesting idea - AVG used to load DOS components in
    >> Win98, I didn't think ME had the DOS structure under the gui!
    >>

    > Hehe, no trouble, ME is pure dos under the hood, they just tried to
    > disguise
    > it. You can safely use a win98 bootfloppy with scandisk on it, to run your
    > task.
    > There has been some hack to give back "pure dos" as well, as I remember.
    >
    >> Is that anything like a *.bat file that I can temporarily rename to stop
    >> unannounced apps from loading and then change back again once I've
    >> finished using scandisk?
    >>

    > It is a gui app to temporarily stop autostarts and services.
    >
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.16-mm1,Xorg7.0 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    So far safe mode has shown the most promise but that was a hassle! The help
    system tells me that safe mode is accessed by holding CTRL or possibly F8,
    in fact it took some trial & error to find out that its F5, running scan
    disk in safe mode gets to scanning disk surface for errors but still keeps
    restarting - although it does at least remember which cluster it got to
    instead of starting from scratch!

    But its still being interrupted by something accessing the disk and I'd
    still like to know if anyone can tell me how to find out what - and how to
    stop it doing so!?
    ian field, Jul 27, 2006
  13. ian field

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-27, ian field <> wrote:
    [snip]

    > But its still being interrupted by something accessing the disk and I'd
    > still like to know if anyone can tell me how to find out what - and how to
    > stop it doing so!?

    Did you look at autoexec.bat? Or use msconfig? Did you try to boot from
    a floppy and then run scandisk?

    These were all previous suggestions but I might have missed your report
    on those.

    --
    "If you took everyone who's ever been to a Dead show, and lined them up,
    they'd stretch halfway to the moon and back...
    Jimchip, Jul 27, 2006
  14. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-27, ian field <> wrote:
    > [snip]
    >>
    >> But its still being interrupted by something accessing the disk and I'd
    >> still like to know if anyone can tell me how to find out what - and how
    >> stop it doing so!?

    > Did you look at autoexec.bat? Or use msconfig? Did you try to boot from
    > a floppy and then run scandisk?
    >
    > These were all previous suggestions but I might have missed your report
    > on those.
    >
    > --
    > "If you took everyone who's ever been to a Dead show, and lined them up,
    > they'd stretch halfway to the moon and back...
    > and none of them would be complaining."
    > -- a local Deadhead in the Seattle Times

    There was nothing suspicious in autoexec.bat and the last time I tried
    running scandisk from a bootable floppy the OS refused access or something
    like that and I couldn't find anything that looked relevant in msconfig but
    I should probably go through it again more thoroughly!
    ian field, Jul 27, 2006

  15. > I was sure I disabled the screensaver (because despite what anyone says they
    > actually do the CRT more harm than good!)

    More harm than leaving a stationary image up for hours on end? How so?
    David Matthew Wood, Jul 28, 2006
  16. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message

    >> I was sure I disabled the screensaver (because despite what anyone says
    >> they
    >> actually do the CRT more harm than good!)

    > More harm than leaving a stationary image up for hours on end? How so?

    Low beam current fails to repel positive ions accelerated toward the
    cathode, these destroy the cathode emissive coating so rapidly that the
    cathodes don't last long enough for screen burn to become an issue!

    When I used to service monitors on a regular basis I frequently had to
    revive low emission CRTs that had been damaged by running long periods with
    low beam current screen savers. The usual repair procedure is to service the
    rectifier/reservoir in the heater supply just to make sure low heater
    voltage isn't a contributing factor and then run the display with a blank
    white screen on full brightness and contrast - if the cathodes can be
    recovered this will usually do it.

    The only screen saver I've ever seen that wasn't a risk to the CRT was
    incorporated in an early version of AVG - it ran at full beam current but
    "melted" the contrast.
    ian field, Jul 28, 2006
  17. In article <3lqyg.84324$>,
    "ian field" <> wrote:

    > "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> I was sure I disabled the screensaver (because despite what anyone says
    > >> they
    > >> actually do the CRT more harm than good!)

    > > More harm than leaving a stationary image up for hours on end? How so?

    > Low beam current fails to repel positive ions accelerated toward the
    > cathode, these destroy the cathode emissive coating so rapidly that the
    > cathodes don't last long enough for screen burn to become an issue!
    >
    > When I used to service monitors on a regular basis I frequently had to
    > revive low emission CRTs that had been damaged by running long periods with
    > low beam current screen savers. The usual repair procedure is to service the
    > rectifier/reservoir in the heater supply just to make sure low heater
    > voltage isn't a contributing factor and then run the display with a blank
    > white screen on full brightness and contrast - if the cathodes can be
    > recovered this will usually do it.
    >
    > The only screen saver I've ever seen that wasn't a risk to the CRT was
    > incorporated in an early version of AVG - it ran at full beam current but
    > "melted" the contrast.

    Hmm... I have many monitors that have gone years running screen savers
    and they still look great. We also have a few monitors at work that
    have things burned into them just after a day or so of displaying
    stationary images. -shrugs-
    David Matthew Wood, Jul 29, 2006
  18. ian field

    > In article <3lqyg.84324$>,
    > "ian field" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message

    >> > More harm than leaving a stationary image up for hours on end? How so?

    >> Low beam current fails to repel positive ions accelerated toward the
    >> cathode, these destroy the cathode emissive coating so rapidly that the
    >> cathodes don't last long enough for screen burn to become an issue!
    >>
    >> When I used to service monitors on a regular basis I frequently had to
    >> revive low emission CRTs that had been damaged by running long periods
    >> with
    >> low beam current screen savers. The usual repair procedure is to service
    >> the
    >> rectifier/reservoir in the heater supply just to make sure low heater
    >> voltage isn't a contributing factor and then run the display with a blank
    >> white screen on full brightness and contrast - if the cathodes can be
    >> recovered this will usually do it.
    >>
    >> The only screen saver I've ever seen that wasn't a risk to the CRT was
    >> incorporated in an early version of AVG - it ran at full beam current but
    >> "melted" the contrast.

    > Hmm... I have many monitors that have gone years running screen savers
    > and they still look great. We also have a few monitors at work that
    > have things burned into them just after a day or so of displaying
    > stationary images. -shrugs-

    Office monitors tend to sit all day with the same menu/spreadsheet or
    whatever and just a day or two is in reality most of the working life of the
    monitor (maybe a few years)!

    Most of the emission problems seem to arise from the fact that a number of
    years ago some 'genius' at Philips released a memo to the industry
    suggesting that due to the better regulation of modern switching power
    supplies, CRTs could be run at 6.15 heater volts instead of the correct
    6.3V. It is known in fact that short of hitting it with a hammer - the
    quickest way to ruin a thermionic device is to underrun the heater.

    When I was involved in mainstream servicing, some 15 - 20% of the monitors
    arriving on the bench had some degree of emission problem and invariably the
    heater voltage was found to be less than 6.3V, in one extreme case it was
    only 5.3V! Almost all had high ESR capacitors in the heater
    rectifier/reservoir but when the faulty components had been replaced the
    voltage was found to be nearer 6.15V than 6.3V - so clearly the hoax had
    affected a significant number of manufacturers!

    In all but the most severe cases the screen could be repaired by servicing
    the heater rectifier/reservoir and then running the CRT with a blank white
    test pattern to re-awaken the cathodes, it is sometimes possible to carry
    out a modification to correct insufficient heater voltage which
    significantly increases the chance of success.

    Screen burn is somewhat subjective - since it is possible to see on the
    un-illuminated phosphor if you reflect light off the screen at just the
    right angle but is of no consequence whatsoever when the CRT is displaying a
    normal picture. Admittedly this can make a refurbed monitor difficult to
    sell, but most reasonable people won't find it grounds to scrap an otherwise
    perfectly working monitor.
    ian field, Jul 30, 2006