    where to make changes.

    Thank you

    Andrew

    Andy, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Andy

    °Mike° Guest

    "Your Computer Does Not Have Enough Free Memory
    to Defrag the Drive" Error Message
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=229154

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:58:15 GMT, in
    <HPt_b.531$>
    Andy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Andy wrote:
    :: Hi,
    ::
    :: When I try and run scandisk on drive C: I get the following message
    ::
    :: Scandisk could not continue because your computer does not have
    :: enough available memory. If any other programs are running quit one
    :: or more and try running scandisk again.
    ::
    :: I have 384mb ram on this machine, I have done a clean install of
    :: win98 second edition and still get the same message with just the
    :: operating system on the machine and nothing else running.
    ::
    :: Can anybody help me out as to what to look for to correct this
    :: problem or where to make changes.
    ::
    :: Thank you
    ::
    :: Andrew

    You mean you fdisked the drive, then formatted the partition, did a clean
    install and get this?

    Only time I have seen this is when the disk had a corrupt partition table -
    so if you used a pre-existing partition, then that could be the problem. In
    that case, fdisk all new partition(s) and clean install again. You could
    spend longer trying to fix it but life is too short if all that is on the
    drive is a clean install.

    Norton Disk Doctor..do you have??

    ---

    eric the seal, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "eric the seal" <> wrote in message
    > Andy wrote:
    > :: Hi,
    > ::
    > :: When I try and run scandisk on drive C: I get the following message
    > ::
    > :: Scandisk could not continue because your computer does not have
    > :: enough available memory. If any other programs are running quit one
    > :: or more and try running scandisk again.
    > ::
    > :: I have 384mb ram on this machine, I have done a clean install of
    > :: win98 second edition and still get the same message with just the
    > :: operating system on the machine and nothing else running.
    > ::
    > :: Can anybody help me out as to what to look for to correct this
    > :: problem or where to make changes.
    > ::
    > :: Thank you
    > ::
    > :: Andrew
    >
    > You mean you fdisked the drive, then formatted the partition, did a clean
    > install and get this?
    >
    > Only time I have seen this is when the disk had a corrupt partition

    table -
    > so if you used a pre-existing partition, then that could be the problem.

    In
    > that case, fdisk all new partition(s) and clean install again. You could
    > spend longer trying to fix it but life is too short if all that is on the
    > drive is a clean install.
    >
    > Norton Disk Doctor..do you have??
    >

    > ---
    >
    > Hi Eric

    Yes I did fdisk and then formated the partition, after removing the old and
    setting a new one, nothing obviously wrong showed up.

    Andy, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > "Your Computer Does Not Have Enough Free Memory
    > to Defrag the Drive" Error Message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=229154
    >

    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:58:15 GMT, in
    > <HPt_b.531$>
    > Andy scrawled:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >When I try and run scandisk on drive C: I get the following message
    > >
    > >Scandisk could not continue because your computer does not have enough
    > >available memory. If any other programs are running quit one or more and

    try
    > >running scandisk again.
    > >
    > >I have 384mb ram on this machine, I have done a clean install of win98
    > >second edition and still get the same message with just the operating

    system
    > >on the machine and nothing else running.
    > >
    > >Can anybody help me out as to what to look for to correct this problem or
    > >where to make changes.
    > >
    > >Thank you
    > >
    > >Andrew
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    thanks Mike will check the first url out

    Andy, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Andy

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:53:18 GMT, in
    > <yvv_b.621$>
    > Andy scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Your Computer Does Not Have Enough Free Memory
    > >> to Defrag the Drive" Error Message

    > <snip>
    >
    > >thanks Mike will check the first url out

    > You're welcome. The second url was/is my signature, btw.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks again Mike and Eric found the answer at

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=229154

    changed the cluster size to 16kb and all is well

    Cheers A (Glad you chaps are out there)

    Andy

    Andy, Feb 24, 2004