    needing to start it up? Should I leave well alone?

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Geopelia wrote:
    > In Windows ME, I used to have a Scandisk icon on the desktop. I haven't got
    > one in XP.
    >
    > I've tried My Computer, Properties, Tools. I found something that looks like
    > the Scandisk icon, but it says it will check the volume for errors.
    >
    > I want to check the disks, not the volume. That's loud enough. Or is Volume
    > computer language for disks?

    Yes.

    > What happens if I start that?

    Try dragging it to the desktop

    > Does XP run the Scandisk automatically behind the other programs, without
    > needing to start it up? Should I leave well alone?

    Dunno, probably. Unless you are experiencing problems with your disc it's
    probably ok.
    Mark Robinson, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Geopelia

    Phil Guest

    Geopelia wrote, On 15/12/06 12.16 a:
    > In Windows ME, I used to have a Scandisk icon on the desktop. I haven't got
    > one in XP.
    >
    > I've tried My Computer, Properties, Tools. I found something that looks like
    > the Scandisk icon, but it says it will check the volume for errors.

    That's the one, there isn't really a separate GUI tool for it anymore,
    it's integrated into a bunch of different places.

    Windows will also run CHKDSK (the XP Scandisk) when your computer starts
    on any drives it thinks needs it (you can also run it from the
    command-line manually, with a bunch of additional options).

    -Phil
    Phil, Dec 14, 2006
  4. In article <elrbpm$vr0$>, says...

    > I've tried My Computer, Properties, Tools. I found something that looks like
    > the Scandisk icon, but it says it will check the volume for errors.
    >
    > I want to check the disks, not the volume. That's loud enough. Or is Volume
    > computer language for disks?
    > What happens if I start that?

    The word volume is used similar to the way it's used in books, e.g.
    Encyclopaedia Britannica Volume 6. One physical disk drive may contain several
    logical drives ("partitions") (c:, d:, e:) each of which is referred to as a
    'volume'.

    The scandisk you found will check one volume at a time, not the whole disk.

    It does not run automatically, unless you turn your computer off without going
    through the proper shutdown process. It also does not really coexist happily
    with other programs - any other program accessing the drive will disrupt
    scandisk.
    Best to run it after you've decided to call it a night and leave it to do it's
    thing while you are visiting the land of Nod.

    I've always preferred to use Norton Utilities' Disk Doctor for this operation,
    but in recent years that once great tool seems to have degenerated into so much
    useless bloat. I honestly can't say if it's still any better than the MS
    version.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 14, 2006
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    So it looks as if I can safely leave it alone.

    Thanks folks for your help.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 14, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <elrbpm$vr0$>, says...
    >>
    >> I've tried My Computer, Properties, Tools. I found something that looks
    >> like
    >> the Scandisk icon, but it says it will check the volume for errors.
    >>
    >> I want to check the disks, not the volume. That's loud enough. Or is
    >> Volume
    >> computer language for disks?
    >> What happens if I start that?
    >>

    > The word volume is used similar to the way it's used in books, e.g.
    > Encyclopaedia Britannica Volume 6. One physical disk drive may contain
    > several
    > logical drives ("partitions") (c:, d:, e:) each of which is referred to as
    > 'volume'.
    >
    > The scandisk you found will check one volume at a time, not the whole
    > disk.
    >
    > It does not run automatically, unless you turn your computer off without
    > going
    > through the proper shutdown process. It also does not really coexist
    > happily
    > with other programs - any other program accessing the drive will disrupt
    > scandisk.
    > Best to run it after you've decided to call it a night and leave it to do
    > it's
    > thing while you are visiting the land of Nod.
    >
    > I've always preferred to use Norton Utilities' Disk Doctor for this
    > operation,
    > but in recent years that once great tool seems to have degenerated into so
    > much
    > useless bloat. I honestly can't say if it's still any better than the MS
    > version.
    >
    > -Peter

    Volume had me confused. Dumb, aren't I?
    I'll leave it alone unless I get problems. I suppose it would work itself,
    after a sudden power cut, not being properly shut down.
    That is the sort of thing people who didn't learn about computers in school
    find a puzzle.
    Thank you for your help.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 14, 2006
  7. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > That is the sort of thing people who didn't learn about computers in school
    > find a puzzle.

    People like you who ask before blindly leaping in to have a play with
    things are great. All those people who "have learned a little bit"
    cause all manner of problems merely by doing what they assume is
    correct. I wish a lot more of my clients were like you.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Dec 15, 2006
  8. "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > In Windows ME, I used to have a Scandisk icon on the desktop. I haven't
    > got one in XP.
    >
    > I've tried My Computer, Properties, Tools. I found something that looks
    > like the Scandisk icon, but it says it will check the volume for errors.
    >
    > I want to check the disks, not the volume. That's loud enough. Or is
    > Volume computer language for disks?
    > What happens if I start that?
    >
    > Does XP run the Scandisk automatically behind the other programs, without
    > needing to start it up? Should I leave well alone?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Go from "Start" to "Run" and paste this in "chkdsk c: /f" (without the
    quotes), then click "ok".
    Answer "Y" to the prompt then restart the computer.

    That'll run checkdisk on your next startup, report any errors, and fix them.

    J&H.
    Jekyll and Hyde, Dec 15, 2006
  9. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> That is the sort of thing people who didn't learn about computers in
    >> school find a puzzle.

    > People like you who ask before blindly leaping in to have a play with
    > things are great. All those people who "have learned a little bit" cause
    > all manner of problems merely by doing what they assume is correct. I
    > wish a lot more of my clients were like you.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Much better to pay you for nothing than learn to use the many help files
    that are provided for each program.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 15, 2006
  10. Geopelia

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-12-14, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > I've always preferred to use Norton Utilities' Disk Doctor for this operation,
    > but in recent years that once great tool seems to have degenerated into so much
    > useless bloat. I honestly can't say if it's still any better than the MS
    > version.

    Peter Norton produced top quality system utilities
    for computers that ran DOS.

    When Symantec took over the name quality suffered,
    I don't know if it was because microsoft was keeping
    windows details secret, or if there was some other
    reason

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Dec 15, 2006
  11. In message <eltfd2$h7k$-a-geek.org>, jasen wrote:

    > On 2006-12-14, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've always preferred to use Norton Utilities' Disk Doctor for this
    >> operation, but in recent years that once great tool seems to have
    >> degenerated into so much useless bloat. I honestly can't say if it's
    >> still any better than the MS version.

    > Peter Norton produced top quality system utilities
    > for computers that ran DOS.
    >
    > When Symantec took over the name quality suffered,
    > I don't know if it was because microsoft was keeping
    > windows details secret, or if there was some other
    > reason

    I often wondered how he managed to write code while his arms were folded
    like that...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 15, 2006
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> That is the sort of thing people who didn't learn about computers in
    >>> school find a puzzle.

    >> People like you who ask before blindly leaping in to have a play with
    >> things are great. All those people who "have learned a little bit" cause
    >> all manner of problems merely by doing what they assume is correct. I
    >> wish a lot more of my clients were like you.
    >>

    >> --
    >> EMB

    > Much better to pay you for nothing than learn to use the many help files
    > that are provided for each program.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I have a look at Help, but they seem to have everything but the one thing I
    want to know. However I type in a question, they never seem to have the
    answer. They have a list of FAQs, but none of them are relevant. That is why
    I ask here.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 15, 2006
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> That is the sort of thing people who didn't learn about computers in
    >> school find a puzzle.

    > People like you who ask before blindly leaping in to have a play with
    > things are great. All those people who "have learned a little bit" cause
    > all manner of problems merely by doing what they assume is correct. I
    > wish a lot more of my clients were like you.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    As long as I'm not annoying anyone, asking what you must think are
    elementary questions. I do look at the Help menus and
    computer books to see if anything is there, (I've got the "Which? computer
    troubleshooter" from Consumer, much of it beyond me.
    I'm learning all the time, and I save the messages explaining how to do
    things.

    I appreciate the help I get here very much.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 15, 2006
  14. Geopelia

    -=rjh=- Guest

    jasen wrote:
    > On 2006-12-14, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >> I've always preferred to use Norton Utilities' Disk Doctor for this operation,
    >> but in recent years that once great tool seems to have degenerated into so much
    >> useless bloat. I honestly can't say if it's still any better than the MS
    >> version.

    > Peter Norton produced top quality system utilities
    > for computers that ran DOS.
    >
    > When Symantec took over the name quality suffered,
    > I don't know if it was because microsoft was keeping
    > windows details secret, or if there was some other
    > reason

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Norton

    A bit light on details about the software, but very interesting all the
    same.

    What a contrast to Phil Katz, the other big name from those DOS days.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 15, 2006
  15. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <elrbpm$vr0$>, says...
    > >
    > > I've tried My Computer, Properties, Tools. I found something that
    > > looks like the Scandisk icon, but it says it will check the volume
    > > for errors.
    > >
    > > I want to check the disks, not the volume. That's loud enough. Or
    > > is Volume computer language for disks?
    > > What happens if I start that?
    > >

    > The word volume is used similar to the way it's used in books, e.g.
    > Encyclopaedia Britannica Volume 6. One physical disk drive may
    > contain several logical drives ("partitions") (c:, d:, e:) each of
    > which is referred to as a 'volume'.
    >
    > The scandisk you found will check one volume at a time, not the whole
    > disk.
    >
    > It does not run automatically, unless you turn your computer off
    > without going through the proper shutdown process. It also does not
    > really coexist happily with other programs - any other program
    > accessing the drive will disrupt scandisk.
    > Best to run it after you've decided to call it a night and leave it
    > to do it's thing while you are visiting the land of Nod.
    >
    > I've always preferred to use Norton Utilities' Disk Doctor for this
    > operation, but in recent years that once great tool seems to have
    > degenerated into so much useless bloat. I honestly can't say if it's
    > still any better than the MS version.
    >
    > -Peter

    I'm rather partial to running Spinrite 6 from floppy overnight (or longer if
    it's doing multiple volumes).

    In some ways, Steve Gibson is what Peter Norton used to be pre-Symantec IMO.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 16, 2006
  16. Geopelia

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-12-15, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    > jasen wrote:
    >> On 2006-12-14, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >>> I've always preferred to use Norton Utilities' Disk Doctor for this operation,
    >>> but in recent years that once great tool seems to have degenerated into so much
    >>> useless bloat. I honestly can't say if it's still any better than the MS
    >>> version.

    >> Peter Norton produced top quality system utilities
    >> for computers that ran DOS.
    >>
    >> When Symantec took over the name quality suffered,
    >> I don't know if it was because microsoft was keeping
    >> windows details secret, or if there was some other
    >> reason

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Norton
    >
    > A bit light on details about the software, but very interesting all the
    > same.
    >
    > What a contrast to Phil Katz, the other big name from those DOS days.

    Didn't John Mcaffee have an unfortunate end too...

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Dec 16, 2006