    the defrag/scan are running.

    Operating Win98se

    Thanx

    Dave, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Dave

    JK Guest

    Try doing those in safe mode.

    JK, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Dave

    LPV Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Will someone please tell me what may be causing scandisk and defrag
    > to keep restarting.
    >
    > There are no programs running that would be writing to disk while
    > the defrag/scan are running.
    >
    > Operating Win98se

    You're not alone. I use the Win ME defrag to defrag my Win 98 and 98SE
    systems. Works good. Just google for it.

    Loren

    LPV, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanx JK, I'll give it a try.

    Dave, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    First time I've had this problem. I'll try your suggestion.

    Thanx.

    Dave, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanx Loren,

    I ran the programs in safe mode and they worked. I'll save your idea
    for future use. Thanx for your advice.

    Dave, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Safe mode worked fine. Thanx

    Dave, Aug 17, 2004
  8. Dave

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:56:28 GMT, "Dave" <> wrote:

    >Safe mode worked fine. Thanx

    Get the ME defrag. Much faster!

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Aug 18, 2004
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I will get the ME defrag.

    Thanx for your help.

    Dave, Aug 18, 2004
  10. Dave

    LPV Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Thanx Loren,
    >
    > I ran the programs in safe mode and they worked. I'll save your idea
    > for future use. Thanx for your advice.

    You're very welcome. Glad it worked for you, Dave.

    Loren

    LPV, Aug 18, 2004
  11. Dave

    George Guest

    Out of curiosity, does it NOW work fine in normal mode?

    George

    George, Aug 18, 2004
  12. Dave

    LPV Guest

    George wrote:

    > Out of curiosity, does it NOW work fine in normal mode?

    I can't speak for the OP's experience, but in my experience the Win 98
    defrag has a habit of hanging in normal mode (I've never tried running it in
    safe mode).

    However, I've run the Win ME defrag on Win 98 and 98SE systems repeatedly in
    normal mode with no hanging at all.

    Loren

    LPV, Aug 18, 2004
  13. Dave

    JK Guest

    LPV wrote:

    > George wrote:
    >
    > > Out of curiosity, does it NOW work fine in normal mode?

    My guess would be that it probably does.

    > I can't speak for the OP's experience, but in my experience the Win 98
    > defrag has a habit of hanging in normal mode (I've never tried running it in
    > safe mode).
    >
    > However, I've run the Win ME defrag on Win 98 and 98SE systems repeatedly in
    > normal mode with no hanging at all.

    Aside from hanging concerns and the time to defrag, which does a better job
    defragging? A faster defrag might just be the result of a poorer quality
    defrag being done?

    JK, Aug 18, 2004
  14. Dave

    Wizard Guest

    If you use Ctrl/alt/del to bring up task manager and stop everything but
    "explorer" it will run in normal mode.

    Wizard, Aug 18, 2004
  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hey George,
    I went to an old back up and restored the files. Now working in normal
    mode.
    The safe mode took forever to defrag and moved the icons on desktop
    when I switched back.
    ..

    Dave, Aug 18, 2004
  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Strange thing; I did a Google for me defrag and can not find the file.
    Even at Microsoft.

    Dave, Aug 18, 2004
  17. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Haste Makes Waste." Could be the slower, the better. Can't say.

    Dave, Aug 18, 2004
  18. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I use "enditall" which closes everything that's not needed, all at one time.

    Dave, Aug 18, 2004
  19. Dave

    LPV Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Strange thing; I did a Google for me defrag and can not find the file.
    > Even at Microsoft.

    If you'd like, I can email it to you. Let me know...remove crappola to
    email me.

    Zipped it's a 95KB file.

    Unzipped it's about 210 KB.

    Loren

    LPV, Aug 18, 2004
  20. Dave

    bambam Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in

    > Strange thing; I did a Google for me defrag and can not find the
    > file. Even at Microsoft.

    newdefrag.zip on this page is what you are after-

    http://www.wilders.org/downloads.htm

    --
    Just $1 a day to save a little starving african kid... or $2 a day for
    broadband... the choice is yours.

    bambam, Aug 19, 2004