    I was wondeing what else to do to clear out some files, disk clean
    up,history,...Sorry to be so stupid and probably leaving out some info
    you need..Thanks for any help! John

    John S, Jan 28, 2004

  2. John S

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (John S) wrote in news:21601-40171C0F-398@storefull-
    3195.bay.webtv.net:

    > I was wondeing what else to do to clear out some files, disk clean
    > up,history,...Sorry to be so stupid and probably leaving out some info
    > you need..Thanks for any help! John

    Boot into Safe Mode (Press F8 when you see "Starting Windows 98"), and run
    scandisk and defrag from there. Also, disable screen savers during this
    time.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 28, 2004

  3. John S

    fruitbat Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    > Hello both my scan disk and defrag will not function properly,disk
    > defragment gets to 1% and starts over again...will run for hours and not
    > get any further.Scandisk starts and stops 10 times then i get a message
    > that windows or another program is writing to the disk,but I dont know
    > what it would be.Im using windows 98se,I have 128mb of ram with only 25%
    > free.
    >
    > I was wondeing what else to do to clear out some files, disk clean
    > up,history,...Sorry to be so stupid and probably leaving out some info
    > you need..Thanks for any help! John

    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/ has a neat freeware utility
    to shut down all programs.
    EndItAll 2, is a small freeware utility authored by Neil J. Rubenking (a
    Contributing Technical Editor for Ziff-Davis' PC Magazine) makes closing all
    running applications a quick and easy process.

    Shutting down all background programs will help scandisk and defrag.

    fruitbat, Jan 28, 2004
  4. John S

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:18:55 -0600 (CST), (John S)
    wrote:

    >Hello both my scan disk and defrag will not function properly,disk
    >defragment gets to 1% and starts over again...will run for hours and not
    >get any further.Scandisk starts and stops 10 times then i get a message
    >that windows or another program is writing to the disk,but I dont know
    >what it would be.Im using windows 98se,I have 128mb of ram with only 25%
    >free.
    >
    >I was wondeing what else to do to clear out some files, disk clean
    >up,history,...Sorry to be so stupid and probably leaving out some info
    >you need..Thanks for any help! John

    1. Get EndItAll2...install it...and run it before you start your
    maintenance programs.

    2. Get the ME version of defrag...or another company's defrag.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

    Trent©, Jan 28, 2004
  5. John S

    Eric Guest

    If all cases fail, boot to DOS mode, perform a scandisk. If it is the same
    situation, it is time to replace your hard disk.

    Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98-Me / Appears to Hang
    at 10 Percent

    Drive's Contents Have Changed Restarting... Message When You Use the Disk
    Defragmenter Tool

    Eric, Jan 29, 2004
  6. John S

    Jerry G. Guest

    Boot the machine up in the safe mode. After you see the Win98 logo, start
    pressing the F8 or Ctrl key. when in the safe mode, disable the screen
    saver, make sure your system is not logged on to the net, and disable the
    antiviral program. The screensaver, and some antiviral programs are some of
    the culprits to cause scandisk and defrag to give problems.

    It is best to have all unnecessary applications turned off when doing
    scanning or defragmentation.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG