    card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Aug 18, 2004

  2. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    news:A_QUc.25935$...
    > I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
    > Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
    > card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    can't see how it would really help. Accessing one area of flash memory
    shouldn't take any longer than any other area, unlike a harddrive where
    having fragmented files forces the drive to access multiple areas of the
    platter(s) to read all parts of that file, increasing the response time of
    the drive. So I don't really see a benefit in defragging a solid state
    memory device.
    Thor, Aug 19, 2004

  3. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:22:38 -0400, Thor wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
    >> Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
    >> card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux User #267152

    > can't see how it would really help. Accessing one area of flash memory
    > shouldn't take any longer than any other area, unlike a harddrive where
    > having fragmented files forces the drive to access multiple areas of the
    > platter(s) to read all parts of that file, increasing the response time of
    > the drive. So I don't really see a benefit in defragging a solid state
    > memory device.

    Do you think there would be any harm in it?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Aug 19, 2004
  4. JTJersey

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you defragmenter a Flash Card there should not be any harm. You are
    moving the data around on it like a disk drive. This card is a disk drive to
    begin with. This is rather interesting, because I use a lot of Flash Cards,
    and never thought to defrag one! I can see Scandisk being run on one to try
    to recover some lost data, fix some lost chains, or recover some data that
    is acting like a bad sector.

    As for the advantage of defragging a Flash Card, I cannot see anything to
    gain. There are no mechanical moving parts, as such in a hard drive, that
    must be constantly moving at very high speeds to various mechanical
    positions to read the data.

    When the data on the surface of the disk is fragmented all over the place,
    then the head has to work harder at a very high speed to move from one
    distant place to the other to gather the data. This will consume more time,
    thus slowing the average disk read.

    In a Flash Card, which is a memory card, all the control and operation is
    electrical. The memory address locations have to be read from the FAT, and
    calculated to be properly addressed to access the information. I would think
    in theory, that the less work that has to be done to read and write to the
    card, the faster the performance would be. But, being all in RAM and not
    having any mechanical operations,

    I would think that the speed difference would be very minute, and may be in
    the magnitude that would be difficult to measure and evaluate in any
    practical means. I am sure that there are some lab set-ups where they are
    equipped to measure the speed difference from a Flash Card, by the way it is
    fragmented or not.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Aug 19, 2004
  5. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:22:38 -0400, Thor wrote:
    >

    > > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > >> I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
    > >> Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
    > >> card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
    > >> --
    > >> Registered Linux User #267152

    > > can't see how it would really help. Accessing one area of flash memory
    > > shouldn't take any longer than any other area, unlike a harddrive where
    > > having fragmented files forces the drive to access multiple areas of the
    > > platter(s) to read all parts of that file, increasing the response time

    of
    > > the drive. So I don't really see a benefit in defragging a solid state
    > > memory device.

    > Do you think there would be any harm in it?

    Not likely.
    Thor, Aug 19, 2004
  6. JTJersey

    Drifter Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:22:38 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >"JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
    >> Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
    >> card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux User #267152

    >can't see how it would really help. Accessing one area of flash memory
    >shouldn't take any longer than any other area, unlike a harddrive where
    >having fragmented files forces the drive to access multiple areas of the
    >platter(s) to read all parts of that file, increasing the response time of
    >the drive. So I don't really see a benefit in defragging a solid state
    >memory device.

    Thor, I would tend to agree with you except for one thing. I have a
    512mb SD card in my iPAQ and after a while it seemed like accessing
    anything in the card was getting slower and slower. Just for a lark I
    defragged it. Bam, right back up to the speed I was used to before.
    I really don't understand why it worked and nobody else has been able
    to explain it either but there it is.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Aug 19, 2004