scan+view+print=confusion

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo All

    O/s WinME
    Adobe photoshop V7.0
    Scanner = Canon Lide (50...i think)
    Printer = Canon i259

    This "query" could be the most stupid or the most complex you have heard.

    Ok here goes.......

    What i want is to scan a "scratched" photo i have from around 1940/50's
    correct the scratches on the scanned copy and then print off and hey presto
    i have a "perfect" photo.

    NOTE: the photo has not been printed onto glossy photo paper - it looks like
    a piece of card.

    However

    When i view the scanned photo in Photoshop the colour is NOT the same as the
    original

    Now here comes the tricky part.

    1 .. Is the colour of scanned photo i am viewing in Photoshop, Photoshop's
    "interpretation" of the scanned image's colour
    or
    2 .. Is Photoshop showing me the colour of how the photograph was scanned.

    3 .. either way, the colours of the image i print out from my printer are
    not the same as the colours showing in the photoshop image i am printing nor
    indeed do they match to the original colours

    Still with me???????????

    SO...... I don't know whose "colours options" i am supposed to be
    correcting - the scanners, Photoshop's, the printer's - or ALL 3 and in that
    case whose do i change first.??????

    Well thats the best explantion of the query i can come up with ( which by
    the way is my 4th attempt at writing this message)

    Anyone got some ideas?? errrrrrr helpful ones i mean - hehehehe

    cheers

    anOLDun, Nov 25, 2004

  2. anOLDun

    Mike Easter Guest

    anOLDun wrote:
    > Adobe photoshop V7.0
    > Scanner = Canon Lide (50...i think)

    > 1 .. Is the colour of scanned photo i am viewing in Photoshop,
    > Photoshop's "interpretation" of the scanned image's colour
    > or
    > 2 .. Is Photoshop showing me the colour of how the photograph was
    > scanned.

    > SO...... I don't know whose "colours options" i am supposed to be
    > correcting - the scanners, Photoshop's, the printer's - or ALL 3 and
    > in that case whose do i change first.??????

    I don't want to detract from the fun this group can have with your
    graphics question, but I'll bet you find the most happiness in a
    photoshop group, such as alt.graphics.photoshop or
    comp.graphics.apps.photoshop or adobe also has its own nntp newsserver
    at adobeforums.com -- so you would access that newsserver and see about
    the photoshop groups. But maybe you can't post there unless you are
    reg'd, so you might have to go to the webforum gizmo.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

    But, first I would do some reading at Wayne Fulton's scanning place
    http://www.scantips.com/

    I usually mess with scanned graphics with IrfanView a free and useful
    app.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 25, 2004

  3. anOLDun wrote:

    > Lo All
    >
    > O/s WinME
    > Adobe photoshop V7.0
    > Scanner = Canon Lide (50...i think)
    > Printer = Canon i259
    >
    > This "query" could be the most stupid or the most complex you have heard.
    >
    > Ok here goes.......
    >
    > What i want is to scan a "scratched" photo i have from around 1940/50's
    > correct the scratches on the scanned copy and then print off and hey
    > presto i have a "perfect" photo.
    >
    > NOTE: the photo has not been printed onto glossy photo paper - it looks
    > like a piece of card.
    >
    > However
    >
    > When i view the scanned photo in Photoshop the colour is NOT the same as
    > the original
    >
    > Now here comes the tricky part.
    >
    > 1 .. Is the colour of scanned photo i am viewing in Photoshop, Photoshop's
    > "interpretation" of the scanned image's colour
    > or
    > 2 .. Is Photoshop showing me the colour of how the photograph was
    > scanned.
    >
    > 3 .. either way, the colours of the image i print out from my printer are
    > not the same as the colours showing in the photoshop image i am printing
    > nor indeed do they match to the original colours
    >
    > Still with me???????????
    >
    > SO...... I don't know whose "colours options" i am supposed to be
    > correcting - the scanners, Photoshop's, the printer's - or ALL 3 and in
    > that case whose do i change first.??????
    >
    > Well thats the best explantion of the query i can come up with ( which by
    > the way is my 4th attempt at writing this message)
    >
    > Anyone got some ideas?? errrrrrr helpful ones i mean - hehehehe

    Briefly: Calibrate your scanner.
    Not-so-briefly: MUCH easier said than done without the proper tools and
    software. As suggested, ask in the appropriate NGs.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Re: scan view print=confusion

    In article <OFvpd.49511$> Gary G. Taylor <> wrote:

    >anOLDun wrote:
    >
    >> Lo All
    >>
    >> O/s WinME
    >> Adobe photoshop V7.0
    >> Scanner = Canon Lide (50...i think)
    >> Printer = Canon i259
    >>
    >> This "query" could be the most stupid or the most complex you have heard.
    >>
    >> Ok here goes.......
    >>
    >> What i want is to scan a "scratched" photo i have from around 1940/50's
    >> correct the scratches on the scanned copy and then print off and hey
    >> presto i have a "perfect" photo.
    >>
    >> NOTE: the photo has not been printed onto glossy photo paper - it looks
    >> like a piece of card.
    >>
    >> However
    >>
    >> When i view the scanned photo in Photoshop the colour is NOT the same as
    >> the original
    >>
    >> Now here comes the tricky part.
    >>
    >> 1 .. Is the colour of scanned photo i am viewing in Photoshop, Photoshop's
    >> "interpretation" of the scanned image's colour
    >> or
    >> 2 .. Is Photoshop showing me the colour of how the photograph was
    >> scanned.
    >>
    >> 3 .. either way, the colours of the image i print out from my printer are
    >> not the same as the colours showing in the photoshop image i am printing
    >> nor indeed do they match to the original colours
    >>
    >> Still with me???????????
    >>
    >> SO...... I don't know whose "colours options" i am supposed to be
    >> correcting - the scanners, Photoshop's, the printer's - or ALL 3 and in
    >> that case whose do i change first.??????
    >>
    >> Well thats the best explantion of the query i can come up with ( which by
    >> the way is my 4th attempt at writing this message)
    >>
    >> Anyone got some ideas?? errrrrrr helpful ones i mean - hehehehe

    >Briefly: Calibrate your scanner.
    >Not-so-briefly: MUCH easier said than done without the proper tools and
    >software. As suggested, ask in the appropriate NGs.

    Why are you so sure?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Do you think that Alexander Mulligan, a super-eco commune resident
    who takes a break from his regular commune duties and hikes all the
    way into Bellingham every day in order to use Bruce Burhans' internet
    account so he can engage in trivial bickering, is also a woman named
    Lady Chatterly", who does exactly the same thing?" -- Tom

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 26, 2004
  5. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Many thanks for the replies and links.