    scanner is recommended if I do it myself.
    Thanks.
    Howie
    Howard Wettstein, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Howard Wettstein

    Charlie Self Guest

    Howard Wettstein asks:

    >I'm wondering whether it pays to have old slides scanned. I found a place on
    >line (DigMyPics) that will do it for .39 a slide and I'm thinking that might
    >pay

    Before I sent slides to a .39 cent scanner, I'd have them duped...and send the
    dupes of about 3-4 to check them out.

    Charlie Self

    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
    Charlie Self, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Howard Wettstein

    Dierk Haasis Guest

    On 14 Aug 2003 19:26:18 GMT, leah (Charlie Self)
    wrote:

    >Howard Wettstein asks:
    >
    >>I'm wondering whether it pays to have old slides scanned. I found a place on
    >>line (DigMyPics) that will do it for .39 a slide and I'm thinking that might
    >>pay

    >Before I sent slides to a .39 cent scanner, I'd have them duped...and send the
    >dupes of about 3-4 to check them out.

    Hm, depends on how many slides have to be duped and scanned.

    To get a good assessment if it's better to send your slides away or
    buy a scanner, just try to find out how many scans have to be done so
    that a service will cost the same as a scanner.

    Lets say the Minolta 5400 costs about $ 820 (roughly the price I
    bought it for), that's 82000 cents. Divided by 39 gives 2102.564. Not
    counting in the time you need to scan - you have to eval yourself if
    you want to count it and at how much per hour - you can send away
    roughly 2100 slides before it gets cheaper to do it yourself.

    Like your own time there are other factors which can hardly be
    quantified, like quality or re-scanning for other purposes.

    --

    Dierk
    Dierk Haasis, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Howard Wettstein

    Charlie Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:32:53 GMT, "Howard Wettstein"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm wondering whether it pays to have old slides scanned. I found a place on
    >line (DigMyPics) that will do it for .39 a slide and I'm thinking that might
    >pay. Anyway, ideas appreciated, including other on-line services, also what
    >scanner is recommended if I do it myself.
    >Thanks.
    >Howie

    Howie,

    You should read the information on that site more carefully. The $.39
    price is for scanning PRINTS at 300 ppi. For scanning a slide, the
    price starts at $.79 and that's only for a 2000 ppi scan. For
    scanning at 3000 ppi (usually recommended for making an 8 x 10 print
    from a 35 mm slide) the price starts at $.89. Also, the site says
    nothing about cleaning, or even if they use dICE in the scanning
    process. Finally, they are saving the scans to CD as JPEG files....
    certainly not the best for archiving your images.

    I'd recommend scanning them yourself, using a scanner with dICE
    capability, and saving them as tiff files.
    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    If you really want to reply via email, my valid
    Charlie, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Howard Wettstein

    Howard Guest

    Thanks, Charlie. What scanner would you recommend?
    Howie

    Howard, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Howard Wettstein

    Charlie Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:36:06 GMT, "Howard" <>
    wrote:

    >Could you say a word about DICE and about the need for cleaning the slides.
    >How is the cleaning done. Thanks for attending to these novice questions.
    >Howie
    >
    >\
    >"Charlie" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:32:53 GMT, "Howard Wettstein"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm wondering whether it pays to have old slides scanned. I found a place

    >on
    >> >line (DigMyPics) that will do it for .39 a slide and I'm thinking that

    >might
    >> >pay. Anyway, ideas appreciated, including other on-line services, also

    >what
    >> >scanner is recommended if I do it myself.
    >> >Thanks.
    >> >Howie
    >> >

    >> Howie,
    >>
    >> You should read the information on that site more carefully. The $.39
    >> price is for scanning PRINTS at 300 ppi. For scanning a slide, the
    >> price starts at $.79 and that's only for a 2000 ppi scan. For
    >> scanning at 3000 ppi (usually recommended for making an 8 x 10 print
    >> from a 35 mm slide) the price starts at $.89. Also, the site says
    >> nothing about cleaning, or even if they use dICE in the scanning
    >> process. Finally, they are saving the scans to CD as JPEG files....
    >> certainly not the best for archiving your images.
    >>
    >> I'd recommend scanning them yourself, using a scanner with dICE
    >> capability, and saving them as tiff files.
    >> --
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir
    >> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
    >> If you really want to reply via email, my valid
    >> address is available on my web site.

    The cleaning, cropping, and color adjusting are the real time
    consumers in doing your own scanning. For a LOT of slides, I'd
    recommend something like the Nikon LS-4000 with the auto slide
    changer. But this is expensive. I personally use a cheaper Nikon, the
    LS-IV, which only scans at 2900 ppi vs the LS-4000's 4000 ppi, but
    does include IR cleaning (d-ICE). Other good scanners also include IR
    cleaning, which I recommend especially for old slides. I also
    recommend using Vuescan as your scanning software. You'll find it much
    better than the software that comes with most scanners.
    Charlie, Aug 15, 2003
  7. Howard Wettstein

    Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:33:18 +0200, Dierk Haasis
    <> wrote:

    >On 14 Aug 2003 19:26:18 GMT, leah (Charlie Self)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Howard Wettstein asks:
    >>
    >>>I'm wondering whether it pays to have old slides scanned. I found a place on
    >>>line (DigMyPics) that will do it for .39 a slide and I'm thinking that might
    >>>pay

    >>Before I sent slides to a .39 cent scanner, I'd have them duped...and send the
    >>dupes of about 3-4 to check them out.

    Following this thread with interest, as I'm considering having some
    old slides scanned onto a CD.

    Costco phone quoted .29 ea. Minimum 15 = $3.79. Asked about max;
    the employee said she'd put 400 on a CD;didn't know max.

    I used them to print out my first attempts from Camedia
    (Olympus 550 D Z) @ .19/ea. Prints satisfactory.

    (Slightly off thread: Am just shaking down with camera; haven't
    figured out how to send pictures as files; I got them uploaded OK, but
    they are gigantic and I can't reduce them.)

    Not planning at this point to invest in a better scanner (have a basic
    workhorse), or in a digital printer; who knows what the future holds
    <g> but for now, thought I'd mention Costco for OP re: scanning
    slides.

    --

    CowardlyLion

    >Hm, depends on how many slides have to be duped and scanned.
    >
    >To get a good assessment if it's better to send your slides away or
    >buy a scanner, just try to find out how many scans have to be done so
    >that a service will cost the same as a scanner.
    >
    >Lets say the Minolta 5400 costs about $ 820 (roughly the price I
    >bought it for), that's 82000 cents. Divided by 39 gives 2102.564. Not
    >counting in the time you need to scan - you have to eval yourself if
    >you want to count it and at how much per hour - you can send away
    >roughly 2100 slides before it gets cheaper to do it yourself.
    >
    >Like your own time there are other factors which can hardly be
    >quantified, like quality or re-scanning for other purposes.
    , Aug 18, 2003
  8. Howard Wettstein

    HRosita Guest

    >CowardlyLion wrote:

    >Costco phone quoted .29 ea. Minimum 15 = $3.79. Asked about max;
    >the employee said she'd put 400 on a CD;didn't know max.

    Hi,

    If she can put 400 images on a CD, the scans are going to be either highly
    compressed or not very good quality.
    The average size of an image will be about 1.5 MB.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Aug 18, 2003
  9. "Howard Wettstein" <> wrote in message news:<VQO_a.741$>...
    > I'm wondering whether it pays to have old slides scanned. I found a place on
    > line (DigMyPics) that will do it for .39 a slide and I'm thinking that might
    > pay. Anyway, ideas appreciated, including other on-line services, also what
    > scanner is recommended if I do it myself.
    > Thanks.
    > Howie

    Hi Howie,

    I'm one of the owners of www.DigMyPics.com. I can assure you that we
    will take great care in handling your slides. We'll keep you in the
    loop every step of the way, too. We'll email you when your photos
    arrive, we'll contact you if we have questions about your order. We
    evaluate each order to determine the optimal settings for DICE, ROC
    and GEM. If the correct settings are obvious, we'll scan using the
    most appropriate settings. If the correct settings aren't so obvious,
    we'll send you a link to a page with a few images captured at several
    different settings and let you indicate your preference. We'll then
    scan the remainder of the images using the settings you preferred. If
    an order contains a variety of different film types, we will repeat
    the above procedure for each film type. We have a great deal of
    experience doing this. You can be sure that your images will be the
    best images technically possible to extract from your film. There is
    more information on our slide FAQ:
    http://www.digmypics.com/Slides_FAQ.asp

    If you have questions, please contact me directly at
    or call the number on our website.
    http://www.digmypics.com/ContactUs.asp

    Regards,
    Scott
    Scott Crossen, Aug 18, 2003
  10. Hi,
    Let me just clarify the pricing first. Here is the pricing page:
    http://www.digmypics.com/Pricing.asp

    If you have over 500 slides, the price is 49 cents for 2000 dpi.
    add 10 cents for 3000 dpi and 20 cents for 4000 dpi.

    We will use if DICE (IR Cleaning technology) and we also clean each
    slide with compressed air. Here is our Slides Scanning FAQ
    http://www.digmypics.com/Slides_FAQ.asp

    We will save in any format you request, including TIFF and PNG. Most
    people request JPG and when we save in JPEG we use the 100% quality
    option. Saving a TIFF to JPEG at 100% quality will reduce the file
    size anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 its oringal size with no loss in
    quality. The smaller file size is much easier to work with because it
    loads more quickly and you can, of course, store more images. Visit
    this page for idea of how resolution and compression work:
    http://www.digmypics.com/resolutions.asp

    Regards,
    Scott

    Scott Crossen, Aug 18, 2003