    "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now
    I'm beginning to believe it."
    (Clarence Darrow)
    Bill and Margie, Jul 6, 2008

  2. Bill and Margie

    Guest

    On Jul 6, 10:40 pm, (Bill and Margie) wrote:
    > I really need a lesson on how to scan a photo and put it into a file;
    > then sending it on in e-mail. I am using a Dell millinium 2 puter.
    > thanks.
    > Bill

    Pick up your local paper.

    You should see people fixing computers for maybe 25 dollars an hour or
    whatever they charge.

    Any of them would know how to do it and be able to demonstrate. But
    speak to them on the phone to ascertain their communication skills.

    And ask them if they'd be able to write notes for you.

    There are probably people advertising that they give lessons. That
    would be ideal.
    Even if they just teach Word and Excel.. Call them and ask if they
    can give you a lesson. And write you some notes. Or let you write
    some notes.

    If they're good they might be able to make use of screenshots in your
    notes, so it is clearer when you look back on it.
    , Jul 7, 2008

  3. Bill and Margie

    Guest

    On Jul 7, 2:48 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    <snip>

    the other thing you could do is call Dell.

    you may be able to badger them for a while, I hope they don't charge
    50 cent /min.

    But even if they do, then I think 1hr would be $30
    They'd be very quick, it would be less than that.
    Maybe 10min. $5
    , Jul 7, 2008
  4. Bill and Margie

    Paul Guest

    Bill and Margie wrote:
    > I really need a lesson on how to scan a photo and put it into a file;
    > then sending it on in e-mail. I am using a Dell millinium 2 puter.
    > thanks.
    > Bill

    What kind of scanner is it ?

    Does the scanner include photo editing software ?

    The trick is, to scan some content, and crop or shrink the picture until
    it is suitable for being emailed. If the recipient has any limitations on
    file size in an email, you'll want to work to that limit. (At my old employer,
    we could not receive something bigger than about 10MB via a single email.
    Even though our inbox had a much larger limitation. A single picture
    can be spread across multiple emails, but that is too geeky for general
    usage.)

    If you scan something like a newspaper article, or a glossy magazine cover,
    then those are printed using tiny dots, in a repeating pattern of dots. If
    you scan at extremely high resolution, you'll see a Moire pattern in the
    image. For content such as newspaper or glossy magazines, you want the
    "De-screen" function in the scanner. What I used to do, is actually measure
    the number of dots per inch, and set the custom de-screen value as close as
    possible to the dot density. That way, the de-screen function did its best
    work at removing the effects of scanning such things.

    If you're not careful, and select a really high resolution for scanning,
    the file output from the scanner could easily be many many megabytes.
    By thoughtful resolution reduction, you save most of the quality of
    the source, without overloading the email system. The photo editing tool
    will have options to change the saved out picture resolution.

    I send stuff as "attachments" to email. You could start a composition
    in your email tool, then check the "help" item in the email tool
    (or the user manual), and see what options are available. There will be
    options for how you can attach stuff, and I think I might have used
    "base64" for my attachments. That is an encoding method, for putting the
    picture at the end of the email. I don't think that did any compression, but
    it also seemed to be readable by other people receiving the emails.
    Some other options didn't work.

    Another thing to realize, is the file extension of the thing you're sending,
    affects how easy it is to be used immediately by a recipient. For example,
    on my computer, if I want to open a TIFF file, that opens in Quicktime for
    some reason. Other formats are PNG, JPEG, GIF, each with their plusses and
    minuses. JPEG is a good one to start with, because it allows pretty high
    compression.

    On your computer, you'll be saving two copies of the picture. The original
    scan, in all its megabytes of glory, you keep for some future day. The
    "derivative photo", a much smaller JPEG, is something you "save out" while
    in your picture editor program. The JPEG would then be "attached" in the email,
    as it is small enough now, to be appreciated by your recipient. But if you
    get an email back, saying "I couldn't view your attachment", you still have
    the much bigger original scan, and then you can "save out" a GIF or a PNG
    or whatever, and try again. So don't toss the original scan, until the
    recipient acknowledges reception.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 7, 2008
  5. Bill and Margie

    Neil Green Guest

    "Bill and Margie" <> wrote in
    message
    >I really need a lesson on how to scan a photo and put
    >it into a file;
    > then sending it on in e-mail. I am using a Dell
    > millinium 2 puter.
    > thanks.
    > Bill
    >
    > SOBERING THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
    > "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could
    > become President. Now
    > I'm beginning to believe it."
    > (Clarence Darrow)

    Some prohrams will let you scan and email in one step.
    This is one:
    http://www.neogie.com/simplecopier/
    Neil Green, Jul 7, 2008
  6. Bill and Margie

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jul 6, 10:40 pm, (Bill and Margie) wrote:
    > I really need a lesson on how to scan a photo and put it into a file;
    > then sending it on in e-mail. I am using a Dell millinium 2 puter.
    > thanks.
    > Bill
    >
    > SOBERING THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
    > "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now
    > I'm beginning to believe it."
    > (Clarence Darrow)

    Open pics with your pics software (ie;PaintShopPro etc) right-click on
    pic wanted, "copy" & "paste" to e-mail content space. Easiest way I
    know but maybe your e-mail setup is different .
    sandy58, Jul 8, 2008
  7. Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. I will consider each
    suggestion.
    Bill
    Bill and Margie, Jul 9, 2008
  8. Bill and Margie

    Paul Guest

    Bill and Margie wrote:
    > Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. I will consider each
    > suggestion.
    > Bill

    When you're doing things on the computer.

    1) Break down the process into steps.

    2) If you get stuck on a step, come back and ask.
    Give details, like error messages, what tool you're
    using, what the input file type is, and so on.

    3) If you're successful, you'll want to prepare notes
    for yourself, and keep them in a safe place. The
    notes don't have to be overly detailed - sometimes
    just keeping track of the name of a program you used,
    for a certain step, is enough information.

    There may be tools that do all the work for you,
    but then you won't have learned anything. You want
    to learn a bit about how the whole process works,
    so if you're sitting at a strange computer, are
    given a scanner, you'd still want to be able to
    do stuff.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 9, 2008
  9. "Bill and Margie" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. I will consider each
    > suggestion.
    > Bill

    The trick, Bill, is to know where the scanned file goes so you can find it
    to attach to the message(s) you want to add it to.

    There is a Windows Photo Editor that has an Acquire command that lets you
    select the scanner. If the scanner came with its own application, you should
    see if it works better for you -- I suspect that it will.

    Once you start the application, you need to Preview Scan. This will cause
    the ENTIRE SCAN AREA to be shown, and will include handlebars (an outline
    that has a square at each corner, and another at the midpoint of each side)
    that you can pull in to constrain the actual scan to the space inside the
    outline area. If you scan a business card at the size of the glass, the
    resulting file will be huge in terms of bits and nearly impossible to work
    with, but when you use the handle bars to constrain the actual image to the
    surface area of the business card, the resulting file will be very small and
    will pass over the Internet with ease.

    If you scan a 4 x 6 photograph, the same rules apply. Do the preview scan,
    constrain the final scan with the handlebars, and then save the file.

    Saved files_should_ go to the My Documents>My Scans folder, but you need to
    confirm this because the files could go to a nebulous location deep within
    the file structure. You can navigate to the location of your choice, and
    this might be necessary on the first save of any session. Once the location
    is set in a session, that location will be repeated with each subsequent
    scan and save in the same session.

    If you save a file, then open it with a photo editing application, you have
    to remember to save your changes AND CLOSE THE FILE before you can attach it
    to an e-mail message. Sometimes we do the edits, pat ourselves on the back
    over a job well done, then send the result(s) to family and friends only to
    discover they did not get the file(s)s. This happens because the file is
    open in another application at the time it was inserted into the e-mail
    message, but in that instance the file is not really attached so the message
    recipients don't get what you intended for them to receive. (The same rule
    applies to any file that you want to attach, not just picture files.)
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 9, 2008