    What max settings do other use?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Pete D Guest

    High resolutions would be used when you need really high detail???? Things
    like slides etc.

    Pete D, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell <> writes:

    > I have a cheapish AstraSlim scanner, a couple of years old. I normally
    > set its resolution to 300 or 400. But its range goes right up to 9600.
    > I'm curious as to when such high resolutions might be used please?
    > What max settings do other use?

    I don't know the specific model, but I'd bet a fair amount that the
    "9600" isn't a real optical resolution. If so, it's meaningless.

    My Umax Astra 1220U lets me select resolutions up to 9600, but the
    actual optical capabilities only go up to 600x1200.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you are going to scan something in very great detail, a lot of resolution
    would be required. For example, you may have a very small picture, and you
    want to blow it up in size. With the higher the resolution, there will be
    less loss.

    I believe that optically, the CCD type scanners cannot exceed 1200 dpi. The
    rest is done by interpolation techniques. The higher cost scanners have a
    better CCD technology for reduced noise, and can employ a more sophisticated
    design to have better results at the higher interpolated resolutions.

    If you get in to the drum scanners that use photo tubes, then these can go
    much higher in true resolution. These types of scanners will have much less
    background or black noise.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Mar 7, 2005
  5. "Jerry G." <> wrote:

    >If you are going to scan something in very great detail, a lot of resolution
    >would be required. For example, you may have a very small picture, and you
    >want to blow it up in size. With the higher the resolution, there will be
    >less loss.
    >
    >I believe that optically, the CCD type scanners cannot exceed 1200 dpi. The
    >rest is done by interpolation techniques. The higher cost scanners have a
    >better CCD technology for reduced noise, and can employ a more sophisticated
    >design to have better results at the higher interpolated resolutions.
    >
    >If you get in to the drum scanners that use photo tubes, then these can go
    >much higher in true resolution. These types of scanners will have much less
    >background or black noise.

    Thanks all. Yep, I reckon 1200 is genuine max.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 7, 2005
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I have a cheapish AstraSlim scanner, a couple of years old. I normally
    > set its resolution to 300 or 400. But its range goes right up to 9600.
    > I'm curious as to when such high resolutions might be used please?
    > What max settings do other use?

    Never.
    The ONLY resolution that is important is the OPTICAL resolution. Any
    resolution higher than that figure is just a marketing ploy. If you are
    scanning prints, anything over 300dpi is just a waste of disk space, and
    time. See www.scantips.com.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 7, 2005
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jerry G. wrote:
    > If you are going to scan something in very great detail, a lot of resolution
    > would be required. For example, you may have a very small picture, and you
    > want to blow it up in size. With the higher the resolution, there will be
    > less loss.
    >
    > I believe that optically, the CCD type scanners cannot exceed 1200 dpi. The
    > rest is done by interpolation techniques. The higher cost scanners have a
    > better CCD technology for reduced noise, and can employ a more sophisticated
    > design to have better results at the higher interpolated resolutions.
    >
    > If you get in to the drum scanners that use photo tubes, then these can go
    > much higher in true resolution. These types of scanners will have much less
    > background or black noise.

    And a MUCH larger price tag!

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 7, 2005
  8. Terry Pinnell

    Jim Guest

    > I have a cheapish AstraSlim scanner, a couple of years old. I normally
    > set its resolution to 300 or 400. But its range goes right up to 9600.
    > I'm curious as to when such high resolutions might be used please?
    > What max settings do other use?
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    The amount of scanning resolution that you need really depends on the size
    of the output and the number of pixels per inch that the output needs.

    In my case, I want to print up to 11x17. It is pointless to print at more
    than 300 pixels per inch, hence my scans should be about 3300 by 5100
    pixels.
    To obtain such an image, I would need to scan a 35mm slide at 4000 dpi. I
    could use a 2900 dpi scanner which would require a modest amount of
    interpolation.

    The bottom line is that it is impossible to expect good quality from your
    scanner given my own needs.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 7, 2005
  9. Terry Pinnell

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    > I have a cheapish AstraSlim scanner, a couple of years old. I normally
    > set its resolution to 300 or 400. But its range goes right up to 9600.
    > I'm curious as to when such high resolutions might be used please?
    > What max settings do other use?

    The high-res scanning is ONLY for small objects - stamps etc. If you try
    scanning at 9600 you'll end up with a file so big the pooter will
    struggle to handle the file of gigabyte proportions. If you're scanning
    a small section of a larger print then that's fine too. IMO anything
    more that 2000dpi is pretty useless. I usually scan between 150 and
    800dpi depending on what I want to do.

    Stewy, Mar 8, 2005