Scan Elite 5400

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Need some information from anyone who has the Minolta Scan Elite 5400.

    Does the Digital ICE work in 16-bit mode?

    Does the Pixel Polish work in 16-bit mode?

    Does the Grain Dissolver work in 16-bit mode?

    What about other advanced features and using them in 16-bit mode
    (e.g., image adjustment tools)?

    Does their digital ICE only modify the image where it finds
    dust/scratches or does it adjust the entire image (which typically
    justs blurs everything a little...)?

    I am asking help here for two reasons.

    1. I have the dual scan III and these types of functions do not work
    when scanning in 16 bit mode.

    2. I sent these questions to Minolta (more than once) a while back and
    never got an answer. Now when I go to their site, it is
    Konica-Minlota and they do not even have asking quesitons and the FAQ
    available (at least where I looked)
    Mike, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Mike

    Tom BORG Guest

    Hi, yes they work in 16 bit mode (though I've not tried pixel polish) ...I
    prefer to do any other adjustments in suitable 16-bit image editor ... but
    puzzled by your comments, far as I know Dual 3 has no ICE??
    Tom BORG, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Mike

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Need some information from anyone who has the Minolta Scan Elite 5400.
    >
    > Does the Digital ICE work in 16-bit mode?

    Yes, eg: if saving in TIFF and with the 16 bit preference flag checked.

    > Does the Pixel Polish work in 16-bit mode?

    Yes (as above).

    > Does the Grain Dissolver work in 16-bit mode?

    Yes (and is always used with ICE).

    > What about other advanced features and using them in 16-bit mode
    > (e.g., image adjustment tools)?

    Yes. However, the bundled editing tool (PS Elements 2.0) works in 8 bit
    mode. So you need PS 7 pro, or PictureWindow Pro (clunky to use) to
    work at 16 bits...

    > Does their digital ICE only modify the image where it finds
    > dust/scratches or does it adjust the entire image (which typically
    > justs blurs everything a little...)?

    The ICE does NOT "typically just blur", it uses the IR channel to look
    for scratch and dust artificats. Yes, the overall image does get a very
    slight blurring as a result. If you scan at 5400 with ICE and then
    later on use the unsharp mask, these effects are all but taken away.

    > I am asking help here for two reasons.
    >
    > 1. I have the dual scan III and these types of functions do not work
    > when scanning in 16 bit mode.

    With the Minolta supplied software, the setting for 16 bit is well
    buried, but it is there.

    > 2. I sent these questions to Minolta (more than once) a while back and
    > never got an answer. Now when I go to their site, it is
    > Konica-Minlota and they do not even have asking quesitons and the FAQ
    > available (at least where I looked)

    The problem with Minolta's FAQ's anf mail in requests is that the same
    poor slobs who answer the e-mails are not able to answer detailled
    questions on the hundreds of products. They are crap in this regard.

    Cheers,
    Alan.
    Alan Browne, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Pixel Polish doesn't work in 16 bit mode, on mine at least. No need: use
    photoshop. Grain dissolver does work in both modes though, in fact it is
    always activated if you use ICE. I have found softening effects of ICE
    negligible. Fab scanner.
    Cheers
    Mike

    Michael Woolley, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Sorry, when I said "advanced functions like these", I was not refering
    to digital ICE which the Dual Scan III does not have, you are correct.

    Mike, Oct 7, 2003
  6. Mike

    Alan Browne Guest

    Michael Woolley wrote:
    > Pixel Polish doesn't work in 16 bit mode, on mine at least. No need: use
    > photoshop. Grain dissolver does work in both modes though, in fact it is
    > always activated if you use ICE. I have found softening effects of ICE
    > negligible. Fab scanner.
    > Cheers
    > Mike

    With PixPol "engaged" and 16 bit selected, the scanner does scan and
    generate a 16 bit deep TIF file. So I assume that the PixPol has had an
    effect and to 16 bits depth. (Note that I tested this with ICE/GEM
    engaged as well).

    Alan.
    Alan Browne, Oct 7, 2003
  7. Mike

    JIM Guest

    > With PixPol "engaged" and 16 bit selected, the scanner does scan and
    > generate a 16 bit deep TIF file. So I assume that the PixPol has had an
    > effect and to 16 bits depth. (Note that I tested this with ICE/GEM
    > engaged as well).

    And 16 bit provides what advantages over 8 bit?

    Jim
    JIM, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Mike

    Alan Browne Guest

    JIM wrote:

    > "Alan Browne" <"Alan Browne"@videotron.canospam> wrote in message
    >
    >>With PixPol "engaged" and 16 bit selected, the scanner does scan and
    >>generate a 16 bit deep TIF file. So I assume that the PixPol has had an
    >>effect and to 16 bits depth. (Note that I tested this with ICE/GEM
    >>engaged as well).

    > And 16 bit provides what advantages over 8 bit?
    >
    > Jim

    The number of bits/pixel is the "depth of color" or dynamic range to be
    more specific.

    If one scans at 8 bits (RGB 24 bits), then the scanner gets the color
    and whites really well, but loses detail and tone graduation in the
    shaddow and dark areas. Older film scanners were 8 bits. Over the past
    couple years they've grown to 10, 12 and 14 bits. With the 5400, it is
    16 bits (each pixel has an RGB channel of 16 bits depth).

    Alan.
    Alan Browne, Oct 8, 2003
  9. Mike

    pioe(rmv) Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Yes. However, the bundled editing tool (PS Elements 2.0) works in 8 bit
    > mode. So you need PS 7 pro, or PictureWindow Pro (clunky to use) to
    > work at 16 bits...

    No, you do not.

    Corel PhotoPaint also has that capability, and is in my opinion equal
    to Photoshop. Above all, it has no Product Activation.

    Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
    pioe(rmv), Oct 9, 2003
  10. Mike

    Dave Guest

    What does Product Activation add?

    Dave

    Dave, Oct 10, 2003
  11. "Dave" <> asked:

    > What does Product Activation add?

    More profits for Adobe, at least according to the bean counters. I'd guess
    that what it really adds is more profits for Corel and Digital Light and
    Color as people move to PhotoPaint or Picture Window Pro to avoid the
    obnoxiousness.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 10, 2003
  12. Mike

    FOR7b Guest

    >More profits for Adobe, at least according to the bean counters. I'd guess
    >that what it really adds is more profits for Corel and Digital Light and
    >Color as people move to PhotoPaint or Picture Window Pro to avoid the
    >obnoxiousness.
    >
    >David J. Littleboy
    >Tokyo, Japan

    That Picture Window Pro is very unintuitive and the interface is pretty crude.

    FOR7b, Oct 10, 2003
  13. Mike

    Alan Browne Guest

    pioe(rmv) wrote:

    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. However, the bundled editing tool (PS Elements 2.0) works in 8
    >> bit mode. So you need PS 7 pro, or PictureWindow Pro (clunky to use)
    >> to work at 16 bits...

    > No, you do not.

    Yes you do, or...

    > Corel PhotoPaint also has that capability, and is in my opinion equal to
    > Photoshop. Above all, it has no Product Activation.

    I have had more troube with various Corel products than any other s/w maker.

    Alan Browne, Oct 11, 2003
  14. "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    >More profits for Adobe, at least according to the bean counters. I'd guess
    >that what it really adds is more profits for Corel and Digital Light and
    >Color as people move to PhotoPaint or Picture Window Pro to avoid the
    >obnoxiousness.

    I don't see why if you're honest about your use. Their licensing
    allows you to have PS installed on two systems, like a home system and
    a laptop, as long as you're only using one at a time.

    Is there some restriction I'm missing.

    Scott Peterson

    Paranoia is an underappreciated
    form of mental health.
    Scott Peterson, Oct 12, 2003
  15. "Scott Peterson" <> wrote in message
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >

    > >More profits for Adobe, at least according to the bean counters. I'd

    guess
    > >that what it really adds is more profits for Corel and Digital Light and
    > >Color as people move to PhotoPaint or Picture Window Pro to avoid the
    > >obnoxiousness.

    > I don't see why if you're honest about your use. Their licensing
    > allows you to have PS installed on two systems, like a home system and
    > a laptop, as long as you're only using one at a time.
    >
    > Is there some restriction I'm missing.

    Yes: you missed my "according to the bean counters". I was trying to point
    out that it's the heads-wedged-up-their-you-know-wheres bean counters that
    are insisting on product activiation. IMHO, most people using photoshop
    illegally simply wouldn't use it if they couldn't. (Call me naive.) But even
    if I am naive, I can't imagine the slight increase in profits being worth
    the loss in customer good will. I was a strong supporter of MS in the MS vs.
    everyone else wars, simply because MS has provided software that meets my
    needs at reasonable prices over the years with no BS. I do not like the idea
    of Sun, who has never made any hardware or software I could afford, having
    something to say about the way MS does business. But MS has shot themselves
    the foot something fierce with 'Doze XP; even I can't defend them any more.
    And I doubt I'll be buying the new photoshop.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 12, 2003
  16. "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    >Yes: you missed my "according to the bean counters". I was trying to point
    >out that it's the heads-wedged-up-their-you-know-wheres bean counters that
    >are insisting on product activiation. IMHO, most people using photoshop
    >illegally simply wouldn't use it if they couldn't. (Call me naive.) But even
    >if I am naive, I can't imagine the slight increase in profits being worth
    >the loss in customer good will.

    I'm still missing your point. If someone is using it illegally, they
    will probably continue to. All of the product activation schemes have
    had code generators out quickly.

    I don't like the idea of product activation, but as long as it's not
    intrusive and does allow me to have copies on multiple systems I don't
    see where the good will loss will occur.

    Scott Peterson

    Politicians and diapers should be
    changed at regular intervals, and
    for the same reason
    Scott Peterson, Oct 12, 2003
  17. "Scott Peterson" <> wrote in message
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes: you missed my "according to the bean counters". I was trying to

    point
    > >out that it's the heads-wedged-up-their-you-know-wheres bean counters

    that
    > >are insisting on product activiation. IMHO, most people using photoshop
    > >illegally simply wouldn't use it if they couldn't. (Call me naive.) But

    even
    > >if I am naive, I can't imagine the slight increase in profits being worth
    > >the loss in customer good will.

    > I'm still missing your point. If someone is using it illegally, they
    > will probably continue to.

    They won't be using the new product illegally.

    > All of the product activation schemes have had code generators out

    quickly.

    > I don't like the idea of product activation, but as long as it's not
    > intrusive and does allow me to have copies on multiple systems I don't
    > see where the good will loss will occur.

    Not all my machines necessarily have internet connections (I usually don't
    internet on the road, so until recently my portable has never had
    internet/email, but I use it for downloading and editing images from
    cameras). And I live in Japan. Will Adobe USA decide not to activate my
    photoshop because they only sell in the US? (This is a serious issue: I
    couldn't persuade the RealPlayer folks to send me a US version of their
    product; Adobe Japan wants 50% more for a Japanese enabled version that may
    not be compatible with the US-English based actions I want to run). I can
    still use last year's software, and occasionally do (my McGraw-Hill Sci/tech
    encyclopedia CD-ROM is 10 years old). What happens when Adobe decides that
    "CS" isn't the current version and they can't be bothered to do product
    activations for it any more? What happens when Adobe goes bankrupt?

    The idea of having to ask Adobe's permission every time I want to use the
    software I've paid for is not acceptable. (And I buy a new machine almost
    every year, so reloading old paid-for software is something I do quite
    often.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 12, 2003
  18. Mike

    CSM1 Guest

    OT: Product activation:
    This is what Intuit (TurboTax) did after protests from their customers.
    http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,110745,00.asp

    Inutit press release:
    http://www.intuit.com/about_intuit/press_releases/2003/10-09.html

    I think that Product Activation is a very bad move on software companies
    part. Copy protection Killed Lotus 123 back in the '70s or '80s.

    If I buy the software, I should have the right to install and use the
    software on all of my personal computers, all of which I can only use one at
    a time.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    > "Scott Peterson" <> wrote in

    message

    CSM1, Oct 12, 2003
  19. Mike

    Alan Browne Guest

    CSM1 wrote:

    > OT: Product activation:
    > This is what Intuit (TurboTax) did after protests from their customers.
    > http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,110745,00.asp
    >
    > Inutit press release:
    > http://www.intuit.com/about_intuit/press_releases/2003/10-09.html
    >
    > I think that Product Activation is a very bad move on software companies
    > part. Copy protection Killed Lotus 123 back in the '70s or '80s.
    >
    > If I buy the software, I should have the right to install and use the
    > software on all of my personal computers, all of which I can only use one at
    > a time.

    That's one of those lame arguments against a computer s/w house' right
    to revenue for their product. The fact is that TurboTax is a highly
    "shared" software with copies being made and copies being shared. This
    is very frustrating to the products owners. Who, incidently don't mind
    if one installation is used to prepare multiple returns.
    Alan Browne, Oct 13, 2003
  20. "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    >Not all my machines necessarily have internet connections (I usually don't
    >internet on the road, so until recently my portable has never had
    >internet/email, but I use it for downloading and editing images from
    >cameras). And I live in Japan. Will Adobe USA decide not to activate my
    >photoshop because they only sell in the US?

    Activation is not = registration.

    From the Adobe web site at http://www.adobe.com/activation/main.html

    Q: What is activation?
    A: Activation is a series of simple and quick steps users of Adobe
    software take upon installation in order to begin using the
    applications. A simple, anonymous process, activation helps prevent
    casual copying.

    Note the word anonymous. You don't have to have an internet connection
    to do product activation

    Q: What happens during product activation?

    A: When a customer installs Photoshop CS for the first time, the
    program assigns an activation number to his or her specific computer.
    When the product is activated on a computer, this activation number
    and the product serial number are provided to Adobe so Adobe can
    ensure that each genuine copy of its software is not activated more
    than the permitted number of times. Activation does not hinder
    licensed users' ability to use the software the way they always have.
    Users can choose the activation process they prefer: by Internet or
    phone, either with a live Customer Care representative or through the
    24-hour automated Activation Voice Response (AVR) system.

    As far as geographical issues,

    Q: What information is needed for activation?

    A: The only information users need is their software serial number,
    which is supplied with the product. The serial number is typically
    found on the product CD case and on the registration card in the box.

    Q: How will this information be used?

    A: The unique serial number assigned to each version of Photoshop is
    combined with a randomly generated number, assigned to the user's
    computer. When the product is activated on a computer, this activation
    number and the product serial number are provided to Adobe so Adobe
    can ensure that each genuine copy of its software is not activated
    more than the permitted number of times. Adobe's activation system
    does not collect, transmit, or use any personal information, including
    the customer's hardware configuration.

    So all you need is the serial number and the ability to make a phone
    call. Hopefully there will be a local number you can call but if not,
    Beyond that the only time activation becomes an issue is if you make
    more than a certain number of hardware changes. This is generally
    pretty hard to do. I've managed to do it a couple of times, but much
    less often than I thought I would.

    I have to admit it's a pain in the neck, but not an insurmountable
    one.

    regards,

    Scott Peterson

    The light at the end of the tunnel