    that as well?

    Thanks in advance,

    Dennis
    Starcap 50, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Starcap 50

    Gregg Fowler Guest

    Go to your start menu, then help and support. You will find menus that will
    answer all of your general questions. If you go to the tools menu in help
    and support you will find what you need.

    Gregg

    "Starcap 50" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can somebody give me some step-by-step instructions on how to perform the
    > "Scan Disk" function on a Windows XP computer?
    >
    > I remember doing it to my old Windows 95, but I have forgotten how.
    >
    > Also, aren't I supposed to do something else called "Disk Defragmenter" or
    > something like that? If so, what are the step-by-step instructions for

    doing

    Gregg Fowler, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Starcap 50

    LarryLamb Guest

    "Starcap 50" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can somebody give me some step-by-step instructions on how to perform the
    > "Scan Disk" function on a Windows XP computer?
    >
    > I remember doing it to my old Windows 95, but I have forgotten how.
    >
    > Also, aren't I supposed to do something else called "Disk Defragmenter" or
    > something like that? If so, what are the step-by-step instructions for

    doing
    > that as well?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dennis

    Open My Computer from the Start Menu. Right-click the hard drive (or any
    disk you wish to scan) and select.
    Properties
    Click the Tools tab.

    Before you start either of them it's important to close all applications and
    programs. However, a lot of users find that Scandisk and Defrag 'hang' after
    they've processed only around 10% of the drive. That's usually because a
    program is still operating in the background that changes the contents of
    the drive, forcing the utility to start over again.

    Restart the PC in Safe Mode (press F8 after switch on, and choose Safe Mode
    from the menu that appears), then run the utilities again. You can also use
    the heavy-duty version of Scandisk in DOS. Restart the PC in DOS mode (not
    a DOS window) and at the C:/ > prompt type 'scandisk.exe'. It's more
    thorough than the Windows version although the option to carry out a
    Surface Scan can take an hour or more on larger disc drives.
    LarryLamb, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Starcap 50

    Allen_L Guest

    >> "Starcap 50" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Can somebody give me some step-by-step instructions on how to
    >>> perform the "Scan Disk" function on a Windows XP computer? <<snipped>>

    >>LarryLamb wrote:

    >> Restart the PC in Safe Mode (press F8 after switch on, and choose
    >> Safe Mode from the menu that appears), then run the utilities again.
    >> You can also use the heavy-duty version of Scandisk in DOS. Restart
    >> the PC in DOS mode (not a DOS window) and at the C:/ > prompt type
    >> 'scandisk.exe'. It's more thorough than the Windows version although
    >> the option to carry out a Surface Scan can take an hour or more on
    >> larger disc drives.

    Restarting in DOS, not a DOS windows, in XP would be a *little* bit hard as
    it doesn't support anything but Caldera DOS, and that's not part of the
    operating system...just run it under tools like another poster indicated, or
    I guess you *could* use safe mode.

    ....Allen
    Allen_L, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Starcap 50

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "LarryLamb" <> wrote in

    > Before you start either of them it's important to close all
    > applications and programs. However, a lot of users find that Scandisk
    > and Defrag 'hang' after they've processed only around 10% of the
    > drive. That's usually because a program is still operating in the
    > background that changes the contents of the drive, forcing the utility
    > to start over again.

    This has no bearing on Windows XP, as it doesn't have scandisk. Chkdsk
    unmounts the volume entirely to work on it, and so nothing could interfere
    with it's work. Defrag was designed to work while I work, with a
    performance hit but not having to constantly restart.

    You are talking about the older 9x version of the tools.

    > Restart the PC in Safe Mode (press F8 after switch on, and choose Safe
    > Mode from the menu that appears), then run the utilities again. You
    > can also use the heavy-duty version of Scandisk in DOS. Restart the
    > PC in DOS mode (not a DOS window) and at the C:/ > prompt type
    > 'scandisk.exe'. It's more thorough than the Windows version although
    > the option to carry out a Surface Scan can take an hour or more on
    > larger disc drives.

    There is no such thing as DOS mode in Windows XP, and I would see no reason
    to boot to safe mode to run chkdsk and defragmenter.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Starcap 50

    mark mandel Guest

    "Starcap 50" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can somebody give me some step-by-step instructions on how to perform the
    > "Scan Disk" function on a Windows XP computer?
    >
    > I remember doing it to my old Windows 95, but I have forgotten how.
    >
    > Also, aren't I supposed to do something else called "Disk Defragmenter" or
    > something like that? If so, what are the step-by-step instructions for

    doing
    > that as well?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dennis

    In Windows XP, you get a "Chkdsk" equivalent to 98's Scandisk and if you
    activate through the "Tools" tab(as mentioned by another respondent)you're
    notified that after rebooting the chkdsk function is run. You can, however,
    decide to run a surface scan which is more time consuming. Then you could
    defragging(an analysis of the drive determines that).

    Mark Mandell
    mark mandel, Mar 7, 2004