    Anybody got the same thing?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 17, 2006

  2. thingy

    Mark C Guest

    wrote in
    news::

    > thingy wrote:
    >> just got an email from the usual bunch offering "easy financial
    >> work", this time though via an email address I used to use on
    >> seek....
    >>

    > A number of these arrived today from varuious different
    > senders...
    >
    > Good afternoon.
    > I got your resume from SEEK Australia job-site and it
    > suites our company requirements.
    > My name is Roger Longbotham, I represent George Metway
    > Inc company located in Europe.
    > ... etc etc etc
    >
    > Some scammer must have found a way to harvest seek's email
    > database.

    I've never been anywhere near SEEK and I got one.
    Mark C, Nov 17, 2006

  3. thingy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in news:1163747830.905124.81940
    @f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Some scammer must have found a way to harvest seek's email database.

    Agreed.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 17, 2006
  4. On 17 Nov 2006 07:51:39 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    >
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> just got an email from the usual bunch offering "easy financial
    >>> work", this time though via an email address I used to use on
    >>> seek....
    >>>

    >> A number of these arrived today from varuious different
    >> senders...
    >>
    >> Good afternoon.
    >> I got your resume from SEEK Australia job-site and it
    >> suites our company requirements.
    >> My name is Roger Longbotham, I represent George Metway
    >> Inc company located in Europe.
    >> ... etc etc etc
    >>
    >> Some scammer must have found a way to harvest seek's email
    >> database.

    >I've never been anywhere near SEEK and I got one.

    I've also never had anything to do with Seek, and I got three.
    I'd say it's more likely they've harvested names from the NZ and Aust
    newsgroups. I used to use my real address here.

    JM
    James McLaughlin, Nov 17, 2006
  5. thingy

    Rob Guest

    James McLaughlin wrote:
    > On 17 Nov 2006 07:51:39 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in

    >>> A number of these arrived today from varuious different
    >>> senders...
    >>>
    >>> Good afternoon.
    >>> I got your resume from SEEK Australia job-site and it
    >>> suites our company requirements.
    >>> My name is Roger Longbotham, I represent George Metway
    >>> Inc company located in Europe.
    >>> ... etc etc etc
    >>>
    >>> Some scammer must have found a way to harvest seek's email
    >>> database.

    >> I've never been anywhere near SEEK and I got one.

    > I've also never had anything to do with Seek, and I got three.
    > I'd say it's more likely they've harvested names from the NZ and Aust
    > newsgroups. I used to use my real address here.
    >
    > JM

    I haven't used my real addy on newsgroups for years and I've had a few
    of the job offer crap. The only time I give real email is signing up for
    forums & the rare comp (virtual super14 etc). I'm very careful who gets
    my addy, and I only get 2 - 3 spam a day, peaked at ~15 a month or so
    back when the spammers started using the gif method, but back to normal now.

    --

    Rob

    C Programmers do it recursively.
    Rob, Nov 17, 2006
  6. wrote:
    >>> I've never been anywhere near SEEK and I got one.

    >> I've also never had anything to do with Seek, and I got three.
    >> I'd say it's more likely they've harvested names from the NZ and Aust
    >> newsgroups. I used to use my real address here.

    > Just shows, cast a wide enough net and you're sure to strike it lucky
    > sometime. I just presumed because I had used that address at Seek that
    > must have been how they got it, now that I think about it, I'm not sure
    > I have used that address at Seek.

    Seek has had it's address database compromised in the past.
    I have a domain name and am able to have unlimited email addresses, with seek I
    used my normal habit of giving an address that clearly identified the site so
    if I received spam at that address I would know where it was obtained.

    So when a whole lot of spam email aimed at job candidates arrive at
    I knew that the address had been obtained from Seek's database.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 18, 2006