    issues of cropping by comparison to a 35 mm negative.
    --
    Don From Down Under
    Don, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Don

    Colin D Guest

    Don wrote:

    > Folks
    >
    > Can someone explain the ratio of 3:2 which is what I am advised is the ratio
    > of many digital camera sensors. How does this work to the printing of shots
    > on photographic paper sizes such as 6 by 4 and 8 by 10 along the relevant
    > issues of cropping by comparison to a 35 mm negative.
    > --
    > Don From Down Under

    Not quite right there, most consumer digitals with non-interchangeable
    lenses have an aspect ratio of 4:3. Interchangeable lens SLR's like
    Canon and Nikon have aspect ratios of 3:2 to conform with the 35mm film
    ratio of 3:2.

    An aspect ratio of 4:3 means that the image is 4 units long by 3 units
    high, e.g. a 4x3-inch or a 8x6-inch print can be had with no cropping.
    An aspect ratio of 3:2 likewise means the image will fit without
    cropping on 6x4 paper, but not 8x10 paper. To get an 8-inch wide image,
    a 3:2 ratio image would be 12 inches long, so you would lose 2 inches of
    image.

    Note that cameras with a 4:3 ratio sensor produce images that will be
    cropped to fit on 6x4 paper, since the image when set to 6 inches long
    will be 4.5 inches wide.

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Don

    stanb Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Folks
    >
    > Can someone explain the ratio of 3:2 which is what I am advised is the

    ratio
    > of many digital camera sensors. How does this work to the printing of

    shots
    > on photographic paper sizes such as 6 by 4 and 8 by 10 along the relevant
    > issues of cropping by comparison to a 35 mm negative.
    > --
    > Don From Down Under

    it simply means that the width of the sensor is 1 and a half times the
    height of it. It is the same ratio as 6*4 prints which is roughly the same
    as a 35 mm negative.

    5*7 is about 1:1.4 and 8*10 is a 4:5 ratio - in both cases you will loose a
    little from the long edge if you enlarge the short edge to fit perfectly.

    to complicate things, most digicam sensors (not DSLRs) have a 4:3 ratio
    which is the same as your TV - when printed on 6*4 you either loose a bit
    top and bottom, or have margins either side.
    stanb, Aug 30, 2004
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Colin

    thanks, I found some good information at the following site on ratios

    http://bj.canon.co.jp/english/photopaper/

    This site has some other pretty informative stuff as well.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Aug 30, 2004
  5. In article <xYCYc.13213$>, Don
    <> writes
    >Folks
    >
    >Can someone explain the ratio of 3:2 which is what I am advised is the ratio
    >of many digital camera sensors. How does this work to the printing of shots
    >on photographic paper sizes such as 6 by 4 and 8 by 10 along the relevant
    >issues of cropping by comparison to a 35 mm negative.
    >--
    >Don From Down Under

    It's not complicated; it simply means the long side is 1.5 (i.e. 3/2)
    times the length of the short side. It is more usefully termed "aspect
    ratio", to make it clear what is being described. The use of "3:2"
    rather than "1.5:1" is just a preference many people have for sticking
    to whole numbers.

    Aspect ratio = (length of long side)/(length of short side).

    35mm negatives are 36mm x 24mm, so have exactly the same 3:2 aspect
    ratio, as would paper in 6x4 or 12x8 sizes, or negatives in 6x9cm size.
    All of these will therefor work well together without cropping the
    picture or wasting paper. However, some people find it too elongated to
    suit many images.

    10x8 paper of course has an aspect ratio of 1.25:1, or 5:4. It is thus
    impossible to get all the content of a 35mm negative on to paper of this
    size without leaving large blank margins down the longer sides.

    Personally I find 1.4:1 is the most generally acceptable aspect ratio -
    but that's because I'm European and virtually everything I read or write
    is on A4 size paper (1.414:1 aspect ratio).

    David
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Aug 30, 2004
  6. On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:56:40 +0100, David Littlewood
    <> wrote:

    >In article <xYCYc.13213$>, Don
    ><> writes
    >>Folks
    >>
    >>Can someone explain the ratio of 3:2 which is what I am advised is the ratio
    >>of many digital camera sensors. How does this work to the printing of shots
    >>on photographic paper sizes such as 6 by 4 and 8 by 10 along the relevant
    >>issues of cropping by comparison to a 35 mm negative.
    >>--
    >>Don From Down Under

    Everyone else has already answered your question but here's some extra
    info that may be useful.

    This afternoon Google.com helped me find ...

    Print Sizes Aspect Ratio
    4 × 6 3:2
    5 × 7 7:5
    8 × 10 5:4
    11 × 14 14:11

    .... along with ...

    Continuum Javascript Aspect Ratio Calculator
    http://www.continuum2.com/js_ratio.php

    Hap
    Hap Shaughnessy, Aug 31, 2004
  7. In article <>, Hap Shaughnessy
    <> writes
    >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:56:40 +0100, David Littlewood
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <xYCYc.13213$>, Don
    >><> writes
    >>>Folks
    >>>
    >>>Can someone explain the ratio of 3:2 which is what I am advised is the ratio
    >>>of many digital camera sensors. How does this work to the printing of shots
    >>>on photographic paper sizes such as 6 by 4 and 8 by 10 along the relevant
    >>>issues of cropping by comparison to a 35 mm negative.
    >>>--
    >>>Don From Down Under

    >Everyone else has already answered your question but here's some extra
    >info that may be useful.
    >
    >This afternoon Google.com helped me find ...
    >
    >Print Sizes Aspect Ratio
    >4 × 6 3:2
    >5 × 7 7:5
    >8 × 10 5:4
    >11 × 14 14:11
    >
    >... along with ...
    >
    >Continuum Javascript Aspect Ratio Calculator
    >http://www.continuum2.com/js_ratio.php

    Forgive me if I am missing something here, but why would anyone need
    Google to tell them that 10x 8 paper has an aspect ratio of 5:4? I
    struggle to imagine anyone even needing a calculator for this feat.
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Aug 31, 2004
  8. On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:50:39 +0100, David Littlewood
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Hap Shaughnessy
    ><> writes
    >>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:56:40 +0100, David Littlewood
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <xYCYc.13213$>, Don
    >>><> writes

    >>Everyone else has already answered your question but here's some extra
    >>info that may be useful.
    >>
    >>This afternoon Google.com helped me find ...
    >>
    >>Print Sizes Aspect Ratio
    >>4 × 6 3:2
    >>5 × 7 7:5
    >>8 × 10 5:4
    >>11 × 14 14:11
    >>
    >>... along with ...
    >>
    >>Continuum Javascript Aspect Ratio Calculator
    >>http://www.continuum2.com/js_ratio.php
    >>

    >Forgive me if I am missing something here, but why would anyone need
    >Google to tell them that 10x 8 paper has an aspect ratio of 5:4? I
    >struggle to imagine anyone even needing a calculator for this feat.

    Because for my camera's image dimensions I crop before sending to
    print rather than trusting the photo developer do it. Knowing the
    correct aspect ratios and using the handy calculator mentioned above I
    got the image dimensions I need for cropping. My math sucks and it
    made my day easier.

    I shoot at my camera's full 4.0 MP resolution with an aspect ratio of
    4:3 / 2304 x 1728 pixels that is perfect for monitor viewing or
    wallpaper but no good for print.

    I made the table below that works for me.

    Print Sizes Ratio Digital Dimensions
    4 × 6 3:2 1536 x 2304 pixels
    5 × 7 7:5 1646 x 2304 pixels
    8 × 10 5:4 1728 x 2160 pixels