    arrives. is this communication issue a common problem and does anyone know a
    workaround if it is? (i have tried switching between cached and not cached
    and it appears to have no difference in the connection.)

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBfIFg=?=, Nov 3, 2005

  2. Does this question relate in anyway to Windows XP Professional x64? Try
    these groups for questions relating to the appropriate products:
    microsoft.public.exchange.clients
    microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
    microsoft.public.outlook
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 3, 2005

  3. this only happens with XP pro 64
    Try asnwering the question instead of jumping down my throat regarding
    where i post the question. Had i wanted to i would have posted it to the
    appropriate newgroup. Newgroups aren't new anymore, you don't need to police
    them.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBfIFg=?=, Nov 3, 2005
  4. Sorry if my post sounded that way, but sometimes people post questions in
    the wrong product group. I was just trying to help you get the best answer
    possible by directing your question to a group that relates to the two
    products you mentioned, "Small Business Server 2003" and "Office Outlook
    2003", no where in your post was x64 or 64 bit mentioned. Again, sorry.

    It seems like a Sychronization issue with Exchange, I don't know what could
    be the cause of that. Are you sure that Outlook is not set to work off line?
    It could also be a random error, you just have to leave it and try again
    later.

    Charlie Russel answered a similar issue relating to synchronization, hths:
    Exchange synchronization can be a problem, especially with a wireless
    connection. My experience is that the following will usually work:

    1.) Reboot.
    2.) Log in. WAIT till everything is up and running, and then wait a minute
    longer.
    3.) Start outlook.
    4.) Send yourself a message.

    Usually that is enough and after the first or second error message, it will
    start working. If not, be patient. Do NOT close outlook and restart it
    unless the problem hasn't corrected after 5 minutes.

    From reading the event logs on my server, I can tell that it's an
    authentication issue, apparently a slightly "off" LDAP message. Beyond that,
    I don't know what the source is. It's annoying, but I've learned to live
    with it. And if I'm on the road, I just use Outlook Web Access -- it's
    easier than trying to get a clean VPN connection that works well enough for
    outlook.
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 3, 2005
  5. John --
    I live in an SBS environment, and I use a Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition laptop as my primary workstation. Running Outlook, obviously. So
    yes, it will connect. That being said, it's fussy, picky, quirky and
    sometimes just plain won't work. When that happens, I reboot. Wait at least
    a couple of minutes after all the programs have started back up, and only
    then start Outlook. It usually connects at that point. However, I got so
    annoyed with how it behaved with wireless and outlook that I finally set
    myself up with a wired connection and that improved things somewhat.

    I have tried various settings and none eliminate the issues. I've gotten
    really good with "Shift-F9" to update a particular folder. That seems to
    help.

    The problem appears to be an ldap/kerberos problem of some sort, if I read
    the daily SBS logs correctly. But beyond that, I don't have a solution, I'm
    afraid.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 3, 2005
  6. I have actually tried this but no solution was found. I am hard wired. i also
    reloaded the system thinking it was an anomoly with the install. then i tried
    leaving it overnite but still nothing. i have tried caching and not
    (offline/online) and still i get the problem. once, i had one folder
    partially synced, but only one out of many. I would like to use Outlook/XP64
    and cannot find anyother reference on the net to this specific problem. I
    doubt that i am alone.
    any other sbs'rs using xp64 yet?

    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBfIFg=?=, Nov 4, 2005
  7. You're not alone. But in my case it's annoying, but not debilitating.

    Does your SBS server have SP1 installed, BTW?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Hmmm. Darrell pointed me at a possible fix, I'm testing it now. I'll let you
    know tomorrow if it's any better.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2005
  9. http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/11/03/74274.aspx

    (Thanks, Darrell!!!)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBfIFg=?=

    PJB Guest

    I have been using XP64 for 2 months or so now and I'm not getting any of the
    problems you describe with my SBS2000 setup. I have 3 x XP, 1 x XPx64, 1 x
    Mac 10.4.2 tiger workstations connected all by wireless. The Mac causes the
    only problem with entourage, takes forever to update my mail.

    Peter Banks
    Wellington, NZ

    PJB, Nov 4, 2005
  11. I suspect it's only on ISA versions of SBS, from the description of the
    hotfix.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2005
  12. i am going to give this a try over the weekend i think. i am using isa2004
    currently so i will post my results.
    did you have any luck Charlie?, does it work on non isa's also?

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBfIFg=?=, Nov 4, 2005
  13. Hello,
    We will get the article updated to reflect this problem so that it's easier
    to identify that need of this hotfis with this issue.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: SBS2003 and Outlook 2003
    <Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 07:27:31 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <I suspect it's only on ISA versions of SBS, from the description of the
    <hotfix.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <PJB wrote:
    <> I have been using XP64 for 2 months or so now and I'm not getting any of
    <> the problems you describe with my SBS2000 setup. I have 3 x XP, 1 x
    <> XPx64, 1 x Mac 10.4.2 tiger workstations connected all by wireless. The
    <> Mac causes the only problem with entourage, takes forever to update my
    <> mail.
    <> Peter Banks
    <> Wellington, NZ
    <>
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    <> news:%...
    <>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/11/03/74274.aspx
    <>>
    <>> (Thanks, Darrell!!!)
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Charlie.
    <>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 4, 2005
  14. I also saw no evidence that your question concerned x64 at all and posters
    do miss the "64bit" part of the newsgroup name. Andre's question was a fair
    one and he does not "jump down people's throats."

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 4, 2005
  15. I'm running SBS 2k3 Premium, with ISA2k4. The hot fix worked. Be sure to
    re-run the CEICW and reboot or you'll have no email at all.

    The patch is only for ISA, so clearly this must be an ISA problem.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2005
  16. Thanks, Darrell. Without your help, I wouldn't have found the fix. And I
    admit, I was getting tired of the symptoms. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2005
  17. Woohoo, This is great,
    thanks Charlie, Darrel and Andre. this undocumented patch works wonders. I
    appreciate all the help. I will be able to supply my customers better options
    for their SBS enviroments now.

    John_X

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBfIFg=?=, Nov 13, 2005
  18. Yeah, makes a big difference, doesn't it? :D

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 13, 2005