    reflectivity or does the system try and figure this out??

    thanks
    Pete
    PeteD, Oct 6, 2006

  2. PeteD

    bmoag Guest

    Attached to the camera it works like any accesory flash.
    There are options in the D80 controls for modelling light but preflash is
    not required: the SB800 is triggered off camera not as a flash triggered
    slave.
    If you are wondering about off camera use this is more complex: preflash
    from the flash built into the camera is NOT required, but you have to
    understand how to set this up: you turn off the camera flash but have to set
    up the SB800 in the D80 controls.
    It is not that difficult but it is not intuitive either. The instructions
    and a little experimentation will clarify how it works.
    bmoag, Oct 6, 2006

  3. PeteD

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "PeteD" <> writes:
    > I just went and bought an SB800 to go with my new D80. I didn't realise
    > that it worked by firing off a pre flash. Initial shots of my daughter
    > look like she maybe be starting to blink as a result of the pre flash.
    > I've read of a workaround using the FV lock so that you fire the
    > preflash earlier. Is this the usual way of working? I'm a bit
    > disappointed as I have an SB26 and if I start using the SB800 in non
    > TTL mode I have wasted my money.

    It's still TTL, it's just that you've taken the TTL exposure
    measurement in a previous shot, and FV lets you re-use it. Sort of
    like P/S camera's stitch modes, where you take a shot with
    autoexposure and then take further shots with the same exposure as the
    first one. You'd use FV by taking a shot of your daughter with the
    preflash (so she blinks) but then taking additional non-blink shots
    with the same flash exposure.

    > One other question? The manual is not terribly clear but when using
    > bounce flash is it necessary to set the speedlight aperture manually to
    > compensate for the tilt angle and loss of light depending on ceiling
    > reflectivity or does the system try and figure this out??

    It's TTL, the flash doesn't care if it's tilted, it gets the exposure
    right anyway.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 6, 2006
  4. PeteD <> schrieb:
    > Hi,
    > I just went and bought an SB800 to go with my new D80. I didn't realise
    > that it worked by firing off a pre flash. Initial shots of my daughter
    > look like she maybe be starting to blink as a result of the pre flash.
    > I've read of a workaround using the FV lock so that you fire the
    > preflash earlier. Is this the usual way of working?

    Yes. However, with FV lock the camera will not use its matrix meter but
    centerweight metering -- another disadvantage.
    You could replace the D80 by a D2x. It has a faster preflash timing so
    that the effect is less pronounced.

    > I'm a bit disappointed as I have an SB26 and if I start using the
    > SB800 in non TTL mode I have wasted my money.

    I think it even preflashes in AA mode (but not A).

    > One other question? The manual is not terribly clear but when using
    > bounce flash is it necessary to set the speedlight aperture manually to
    > compensate for the tilt angle and loss of light depending on ceiling
    > reflectivity or does the system try and figure this out??

    No, not in the TTL modes.

    Walter
    Walter Hofmann, Oct 6, 2006