    wandrinandz Guest

    If more buyers would support HD-DVD and say no to Blu-Ray, then we would not
    have a format war which is damaging the dvd industry.
    Join the HD-DVD Support Group over at www.hd-dvd.uk.com
    wandrinandz, Jun 3, 2006

  2. wandrinandz

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    wandrinandz wrote:
    > If more buyers would support HD-DVD and say no to Blu-Ray, then we would not
    > have a format war which is damaging the dvd industry.

    On the other hand, if more buyers would support Blu-Ray and say no to
    HD-DVD, then we would not have a format war which is damaging the dvd
    industry.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jun 3, 2006

  3. wandrinandz

    Bill Guest

    > On the other hand, if more buyers would support Blu-Ray and say no to
    > HD-DVD, then we would not have a format war which is damaging the dvd
    > industry.

    Blu-Ray's specs sound more impressive on paper...I think I'd rather see
    it emerge as the standard.
    Bill, Jun 3, 2006
  4. wandrinandz

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Blu-Ray's specs sound more impressive on paper...I think I'd rather
    > see it emerge as the standard.

    Which part sounds more impressive: The MPEG2 compression, the
    single-layer 25gb discs, or the lack of support for any advanced audio
    format?
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 3, 2006
  5. wandrinandz

    wandrinandz Guest

    Funny that.... I always thought it was SONY that made the dead format
    BETAMAX Sony PS3 is going to be about £500... what a rip-off, the HD-DVD
    Drive for the XBOX360 will only be around £130.
    Hello... Do you not realise that HD-DVD is the only format that is
    considered as an extension of DVD rather than a replacement and is the only
    format endorsed by the dvd forum... think of all the people who have
    invested money in DVD.

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote > On the other hand, if

    wandrinandz, Jun 3, 2006
  6. wandrinandz

    Dan Luke Guest

    "wandrinandz" wrote:

    > Join the HD-DVD Support Group over at www.hd-dvd.uk.com

    Tee-hee!

    This is a joke, right?

    "HD-DVD Support Group" ...haw-haw! That just kills me.
    Dan Luke, Jun 3, 2006
  7. wandrinandz

    skip Guest

    "wandrinandz" <> wrote in

    > If more buyers would support HD-DVD and say no to Blu-Ray, then we
    > would not have a format war which is damaging the dvd industry.
    > Join the HD-DVD Support Group over at www.hd-dvd.uk.com

    Actually your right but nature has to follow it's path.
    skip, Jun 3, 2006
  8. wandrinandz

    unclejr Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Which part sounds more impressive: The MPEG2 compression, the
    > single-layer 25gb discs, or the lack of support for any advanced audio
    > format?

    TMML. IAWTP!

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jun 3, 2006
  9. "wandrinandz" <> wrote:

    >If more buyers would support HD-DVD and say no to Blu-Ray, then we would not
    >have a format war which is damaging the dvd industry.
    >Join the HD-DVD Support Group over at www.hd-dvd.uk.com

    I'm saying NO to both of them.
    Kimba W. Lion, Jun 3, 2006
  10. wandrinandz

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    wandrinandz wrote:
    > Funny that.... I always thought it was SONY that made the dead format
    > BETAMAX Sony PS3 is going to be about £500... what a rip-off, the HD-DVD
    > Drive for the XBOX360 will only be around £130.
    > Hello... Do you not realise that HD-DVD is the only format that is
    > considered as an extension of DVD rather than a replacement and is the only
    > format endorsed by the dvd forum... think of all the people who have
    > invested money in DVD.

    Well, it seems sarcasm goes straight over your head.

    At the end of the day, it will be what the content providers support
    that determines which, if any, format wins in this debacle. My gut
    feeling is that neither will *win* as such. Frankly, I don't care as I
    have a reasonably large DVD collection and doubt that I will update to
    another format.

    (Of course, I have been proved wrong in the past, and may be this time.
    Be interesting to Google for my comments in two or three years and
    see whether I was correct or not.)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jun 3, 2006
  11. wandrinandz

    Richard C. Guest

    "wandrinandz" <> wrote in message
    > If more buyers would support HD-DVD and say no to Blu-Ray, then we would
    > not
    > have a format war which is damaging the dvd industry.

    ===========================
    Or vice-versa!
    Richard C., Jun 3, 2006
  12. wandrinandz

    Richard C. Guest

    "skip" <skip[@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > Actually your right but nature has to follow it's path.

    ================================
    or maybe his left?
    its path
    Richard C., Jun 3, 2006
  13. wandrinandz

    Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > wandrinandz wrote:
    > > Funny that.... I always thought it was SONY that made the dead format
    > > BETAMAX Sony PS3 is going to be about £500... what a rip-off, the HD-DVD
    > > Drive for the XBOX360 will only be around £130.
    > > Hello... Do you not realise that HD-DVD is the only format that is
    > > considered as an extension of DVD rather than a replacement and is the only
    > > format endorsed by the dvd forum... think of all the people who have
    > > invested money in DVD.
    > >

    > Well, it seems sarcasm goes straight over your head.
    >
    > At the end of the day, it will be what the content providers support
    > that determines which, if any, format wins in this debacle. My gut
    > feeling is that neither will *win* as such. Frankly, I don't care as I
    > have a reasonably large DVD collection and doubt that I will update to
    > another format.
    >
    > (Of course, I have been proved wrong in the past, and may be this time.
    > Be interesting to Google for my comments in two or three years and
    > see whether I was correct or not.)
    >

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    I was at Wal-Mart the other night and they had the Toshiba player and
    the first set of HDDVD discs. The old "early adopter" inside me was
    briefly tempted, but I put him away quick. IMHO, the first format to
    come out with complete seasons of TV shows at a reasonable price (not
    $100 or more) will win.

    -beaumon
    , Jun 3, 2006
  14. wandrinandz

    Mark W Guest

    > If more buyers would support HD-DVD and say no to Blu-Ray, then we would
    > not
    > have a format war which is damaging the dvd industry.
    > Join the HD-DVD Support Group over at www.hd-dvd.uk.com

    How about a format war between HD-DVD and HD-DVD+ and HD-DVD-RAM?
    Mark W, Jun 4, 2006
  15. wandrinandz

    unisellers Guest

    > I was at Wal-Mart the other night and they had the Toshiba player and
    > the first set of HDDVD discs. The old "early adopter" inside me was
    > briefly tempted, but I put him away quick. IMHO, the first format to
    > come out with complete seasons of TV shows at a reasonable price (not
    > $100 or more) will win.
    >
    > -beaumon

    Wal-Mart has HDDVD and not Blu-Ray ?
    If that's the case, I would bet on HDDVD winning out.

    ------------
    Adult Marketplace
    http://groups.google.com/group/adultbuysell
    unisellers, Jun 4, 2006
  16. wandrinandz

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/3/2006 5:29:46 PM, unisellers wrote:

    > Wal-Mart has HDDVD and not Blu-Ray ?
    > If that's the case, I would bet on HDDVD winning out.

    People who can afford either are not shopping for their electronics at
    Wal-Mart.
    --
    "Remember what I said about people seein' a bright light before they
    die? It ain't true. I can't see a damn thing."

    Now playing: "Nazareth - Hair of the Dog (single edit)"
    Tarkus, Jun 4, 2006
  17. In article <JZdgg.83088$IZ2.3099@dukeread07>, Bill <> wrote:

    >> On the other hand, if more buyers would support Blu-Ray and say no to
    >> HD-DVD, then we would not have a format war which is damaging the dvd
    >> industry.

    >Blu-Ray's specs sound more impressive on paper...I think I'd rather see
    >it emerge as the standard.

    From looking at the technical papers on Blu-Ray - and some run
    25+ pages long - technically it seems to be more advanced, and in
    one area appears to be more robust - that being with some coding
    being in phase change in the stream while HD stores info on
    the lands and in the groove.

    At least that's how I interpreted it. Have I mis-read this.
    Are they any HD specs that are as in-depth as the Blu-Ray specs?

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jun 4, 2006
  18. wandrinandz

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 07:58:29 -0400, Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >> Blu-Ray's specs sound more impressive on paper...I think I'd rather
    >> see it emerge as the standard.

    > Which part sounds more impressive: The MPEG2 compression, the
    > single-layer 25gb discs, or the lack of support for any advanced audio
    > format?

    What part of "on paper" don't you understand?

    Blu-Ray is capable of dual-layer 50 GB discs, MPEG4 and VC-1 compression,
    and support for DD+, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Jun 4, 2006
  19. wandrinandz

    Jay G. Guest

    On 3 Jun 2006 17:29:46 -0700, unisellers wrote:

    > Wal-Mart has HDDVD and not Blu-Ray ?
    > If that's the case, I would bet on HDDVD winning out.

    Blu-Ray isn't even out yet. Walmart can't sell what they don't have.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Jun 4, 2006
  20. wandrinandz

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 13:37:47 +0100, wandrinandz wrote:

    > Funny that.... I always thought it was SONY that made the dead format
    > BETAMAX Sony PS3 is going to be about £500... what a rip-off, the HD-DVD
    > Drive for the XBOX360 will only be around £130.

    Yes, only £130 more on top of the £400 you spent on the Xbox360 in the
    first place, or around £530 total.

    > Hello... Do you not realise that HD-DVD is the only format that is
    > considered as an extension of DVD rather than a replacement...

    How is it an extension? You can't play a HD-DVD in a standard DVD player,
    and both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players will be capable of playing standard
    DVDs.

    > and is the only format endorsed by the dvd forum...

    Which means almost nothing. It's like getting a copier these days that's
    made by Xerox, just because it's from Xerox. Sure, they originated the
    copier technology, but that doesn't mean nobody else is capable of making a
    copier just as good, or even better, than them.

    Also, Sony is part of the DVD Forum.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Jun 4, 2006