    handy, what hardware would you recommned, I would be looking to use my dect
    phone.

    thanks in advance for any replies
    j*, Jun 5, 2005

  2. j*

    Tony Hoyle Guest

    j* wrote:
    > forgive me if this has been asked before
    >
    > I have 2 BT residential lines, 1 line is used for business calls & has wires
    > only broadband & the other line is used for residential private calls. What
    > savings could I expect if I dropped the 2nd line in favour of voip
    > considering we are reasonably light users? fax to email would be quite
    > handy, what hardware would you recommned, I would be looking to use my dect
    > phone.
    >
    > thanks in advance for any replies

    A sipura SPA3000 connected to the DSL line would do the trick.

    The savings might not be that much... that SPA3000 costs a reasonable
    amount and line rental isn't very high - you'd get most savings by
    using call18866/call1899 from your standard BT lines to save the call
    costs rather than the VOIP solution.

    Of course saving the rental would build up and offset the cost of the
    VOIP hardware eventually... you'd have to do the maths yourself and see
    if it's worth it.

    For residential use a free sipgate number is fine for a second number.
    If you want better reliability you'd have to factor in the montly costs
    for the VOIP provider.

    What VOIP gives you is better scalability - you can have 5 different
    incoming numbers if you want, or have multiple people using different
    phones in the house without conflicting (or calling each other!). The
    flexibility doesn't come cheap though.

    Tony
    Tony Hoyle, Jun 5, 2005

  3. On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:26:40 +0100, "j*" <nospam@nospam> wrote:

    > What
    >savings could I expect if I dropped the 2nd line in favour of voip
    >considering we are reasonably light users? f

    the BT line rental of £10.50 per month would go, you could replace it
    with BT Broadband voice for £4.99 per month and get free
    evening/weekend calls and an ATA thrown in (12 month min contract). So
    that would save £60/year and you have the same or lower phone call
    costs. http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com

    Myriad other options.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Jun 6, 2005