    Is there a way to save the PIX configuration (via TFTP) directly in MS-DOS format?

    Thanks,
    Alex.
    AM, Feb 8, 2005

  2. AM

    Guest

    Re: SavingPIX configuration in MS-DOS format.

    write net <tftp_ip>:<filename>
    , Feb 8, 2005

  3. In article <qb3Od.22268$>, AM <> wrote:
    :Is there a way to save the PIX configuration (via TFTP) directly in MS-DOS format?

    I don't believe so, no. tftp is a binary transfer format, so you will
    end up with a newline-delimited output file rather than with
    automatic conversion to carriage-return newline.

    There should be fairly small programs available that do the
    transformation.

    Also, it is plausible that there might be tftp servers which recognize
    the file as being pure text and do the transformation. I don't
    know of any. More likely would be a tftp server which recognized
    a certain file extension (e.g., .txt) and used that as a signal
    to do newline conversion.
    --
    "WHEN QUINED, YIELDS A TORTOISE'S LOVE-SONG"
    WHEN QUINED, YIELDS A TORTOISE'S LOVE-SONG. (GEB)
    Walter Roberson, Feb 8, 2005
  4. AM

    Guest

    Re: SavingPIX configuration in MS-DOS format.

    oops...

    Walter is absolutely correct

    You can use MS Wordpad or Word or a number of other utility that will
    allow you to edit the file and or save it in MS-DOS format
    , Feb 8, 2005
  5. AM

    wrote:

    > oops...
    >
    > Walter is absolutely correct
    >
    > You can use MS Wordpad or Word or a number of other utility that will
    > allow you to edit the file and or save it in MS-DOS format

    I'm using tftpd32 (Cisco recommended it).
    I can also do a "wr term" and do a cut and paste but pre-shared keys are not shown.
    Do you a tftp server as tiny as tftpd32? with the feature in the subject, obviously.

    Alex.
    AM, Feb 8, 2005
  6. AM

    Guest

    Re: SavingPIX configuration in MS-DOS format.

    As noted you can read these files with wordpad or word.
    You can then copy the text out, paste it into notepad and save.

    http://kb.indiana.edu/data/acux.help
    Has a clever ftp method.

    There is a trivial command line method of converting them
    in windows using standard tools which has the minor side
    effect of adding the file name and a few other bits to the
    top of the file. This may or may not be critical to your needs.

    S:\>find /v "some-random-text" fred.txt > fred2.txt

    Where "some-random-text" is *not* present in the file.

    This also converts Unicode files to Ascii files which is
    what I was looking for when I found it. 'cos it seemed too
    hard for me in perl.

    S:\>type fred.txt
    lineone
    linetwo

    S:\>debug fred.txt
    -d
    6C 69 6E 65 6F 6E 65 0A-6C 69 6E 65 74 77 6F 0A lineone.linetwo.

    ## Note 0A - Unix line end - I think I got that right?

    S:\>find /v "qweiouoriuew" fred.txt > fred2.txt

    S:\>debug fred2.txt
    -d
    0D 0A 2D 2D 2D 2D 2D 2D-2D 2D 2D 2D 20 46 52 45 ..---------- FRE
    44 2E 54 58 54 0D 0A 6C-69 6E 65 6F 6E 65 0D 0A D.TXT..lineone..
    6C 69 6E 65 74 77 6F 0D-0A 26 04 F0 02 04 04 FB linetwo..&......

    ## note 0D 0A - DOS line end

    Clearly this would be easy in perl (for someone who
    knew what they were doing) but I don't have anything done.

    - - -
    I just found out) and just choosing file save does the
    trick.

    Lets just check that it is really in XP - kind of.
    S:\>which edit.exe
    which: no edit.exe in (C:\Program Files\Windows
    Resource Kits\Tools\;C:\Tcl\bin;C:\Perl\bin\;
    C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    c:\unixtools;C:\Program Files\Support Tools\)

    Hmmmmm!

    S:\>which edit.com
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\edit.com

    Well well well, a .com file apparently still shipping with XP.
    , Feb 8, 2005
  7. AM

    Guest

    Re: SavingPIX configuration in MS-DOS format.

    So I guess it is time to ask the obvious question - what is it that you
    are trying to accomplish ?

    Is it toto save the config with pre-shared keys and password being in
    clear text ???

    If so write net does htat. You just need to be aware as Walter pointed
    out that the file is written with UNIX-stle end of line character
    sequence.

    OPening it with wordpad and then resaving it will convert it to the
    equivalent of MS-DOS format
    , Feb 9, 2005
  8. AM

    wrote:
    > So I guess it is time to ask the obvious question - what is it that you
    > are trying to accomplish ?

    Just save time with less steps for the same job.

    > Is it toto save the config with pre-shared keys and password being in
    > clear text ???

    Yes so I can load config file without storing preshared information in only one location.

    Alex.
    AM, Feb 9, 2005