    instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 10, 2006

  2. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    >
    > If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    > to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    > always disappears.
    >
    > With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
    > in Google groups?
    >
    > And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
    > instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Geopelia

    You're using Google's web based client to access messages. You have
    little control over it. Either get used to it, or go back to using your
    old newsreader and hook up to a new usenet server along with your new
    ISP (ie get rid of Telecom).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, May 10, 2006

  3. Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    >>
    >> If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    >> to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    >> always disappears.
    >>
    >> With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
    >> in Google groups?
    >>
    >> And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
    >> instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > You're using Google's web based client to access messages. You have
    > little control over it. Either get used to it, or go back to using your
    > old newsreader and hook up to a new usenet server along with your new
    > ISP (ie get rid of Telecom).

    If your not keen on changing isps, You only need to change the news server

    In your account settings of OE (which im guessing was your news reader)
    change the news server from news.xtra.co.nz to nntp.aioe.org

    Andrew Lambert, May 10, 2006
  4. geopelia

    Crash Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    >>>
    >>> If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    >>> to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    >>> always disappears.
    >>>
    >>> With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
    >>> in Google groups?
    >>>
    >>> And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
    >>> instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> You're using Google's web based client to access messages. You have
    >> little control over it. Either get used to it, or go back to using
    >> your old newsreader and hook up to a new usenet server along with your
    >> new ISP (ie get rid of Telecom).
    >>

    > If your not keen on changing isps, You only need to change the news server
    >
    > In your account settings of OE (which im guessing was your news reader)
    > change the news server from news.xtra.co.nz to nntp.aioe.org

    Geopelia,

    Unfortunately (from your point of view) Andrew and Dave are correct. There is
    no similarity between using Google Groups (you will be using Internet Explorer
    probably - a 'browser') and Outlook Express with a news server (as you were when
    Xtra had a news server).

    Being able to save and organise messages, as you could with Outlook Express, is
    typically not offered whenever you use a browser.

    Crash.

    Crash, May 10, 2006
  5. geopelia

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    >
    >If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    >to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    >always disappears.

    Open a second browser window or tab and bring up the homepage in it.

    >And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
    >instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.

    Easy. I use "Advanced Search", so my bookmark is:
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?num=100&scoring=d

    The critical part is the "&scoring=d" at the end.
    Edit your stored bookmark and add that to the end.
    You can test it before making any permanent change by going to the search
    page as usual, adding the "&scoring=d" to the end of the URL in the bar at
    the top and pressing Enter.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, May 10, 2006
  6. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    > >>
    > >> If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    > >> to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    > >> always disappears.
    > >>
    > >> With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
    > >> in Google groups?
    > >>
    > >> And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
    > >> instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >>
    > >> Geopelia

    > > You're using Google's web based client to access messages. You have
    > > little control over it. Either get used to it, or go back to using your
    > > old newsreader and hook up to a new usenet server along with your new
    > > ISP (ie get rid of Telecom).
    > >

    > If your not keen on changing isps, You only need to change the news server
    >
    > In your account settings of OE (which im guessing was your news reader)
    > change the news server from news.xtra.co.nz to nntp.aioe.org

    I tried to have a quick look at their website - but it's not up yet
    (I've tried: www.aioe.org). I hope their nttp serv3er is better than
    their website (just timed out on me!)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, May 10, 2006
  7. On 9 May 2006 20:03:14 -0700, "geopelia" <> wrote:

    >I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    >
    >If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    >to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    >always disappears.
    >
    >With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
    >in Google groups?
    >
    >And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
    >instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
    >
    >Thank you
    >
    >Geopelia

    Have you thought about using Free Agent?

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., May 10, 2006
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > If your not keen on changing isps, You only need to change the news server
    >
    > In your account settings of OE (which im guessing was your news reader)
    > change the news server from news.xtra.co.nz to nntp.aioe.org

    I've tried that several times, but it gets as far as starting to
    download the groups then suddenly stops. I don't think this computer
    can do it.

    geopelia, May 10, 2006
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > Geopelia,
    >
    > Unfortunately (from your point of view) Andrew and Dave are correct. There is
    > no similarity between using Google Groups (you will be using Internet Explorer
    > probably - a 'browser') and Outlook Express with a news server (as you were when
    > Xtra had a news server).
    >
    > Being able to save and organise messages, as you could with Outlook Express, is
    > typically not offered whenever you use a browser.
    >
    > Crash.

    Thank you. That's a pity.
    I'm starting to get used to Google groups, and having a good laugh at
    what the government has done to Telecom. Nice timing!

    geopelia, May 10, 2006
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "geopelia" <> wrote:
    > >I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    > >
    > >If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    > >to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    > >always disappears.

    > Open a second browser window or tab and bring up the homepage in it.
    >
    > >And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
    > >instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.

    > Easy. I use "Advanced Search", so my bookmark is:
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?num=100&scoring=d
    >
    > The critical part is the "&scoring=d" at the end.
    > Edit your stored bookmark and add that to the end.
    > You can test it before making any permanent change by going to the search
    > page as usual, adding the "&scoring=d" to the end of the URL in the bar at
    > the top and pressing Enter.
    >
    > --
    > Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
    > "New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
    > preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    > -- Advertisement on the box for Microsoft Windows 2.11 for 286

    I've put that "& scoring" bit into Favourites. I'll see if it makes any
    difference.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 10, 2006
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > On 9 May 2006 20:03:14 -0700, "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    > >
    > >If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    > >to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    > >always disappears.
    > >
    > >With xtra groups, I could save it in Drafts. Is there anything similar
    > >in Google groups?
    > >
    > >And if I click "sort by date" is there any way to make that a permanent
    > >instruction? I have to change to "sort by date" each time at present.
    > >
    > >Thank you
    > >
    > >Geopelia

    > Have you thought about using Free Agent?
    >
    > Cath

    I don't know that one, I'll have to look for it.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 10, 2006
  12. geopelia

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-10, geopelia <> wrote:
    > I'm still learning to use Google groups.
    >
    > If I have written a message, but need to go over to the Google homepage
    > to check something before posting, how do I save the message please? It
    > always disappears.

    why not just leave it open and google in a different tab, or window.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, May 14, 2006